Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K18

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 15, 2017

2K Sports and Visual Concepts' basketball simulator for the 2017/2018 season, including branching out to the Nintendo Switch.

We're Playing Basketball. We Love That BAS-KET-BALL

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It's my favorite sport and I like they way they dribble up and down the court.

If you pre-ordered you can now play 2k18! Playing on PC. I almost waited but for me the sounds of what is new drew me in.

Early impressions here since I only have made a MyPlayer and played one game so far with my Celtics. The characters creation seems WAY better now (they finally made new faces!, you can even make a white guy who doesn't look weird now).

The gameplay seems quite different. What got me excited this year was talk that animation priority was going down. For those who don't know, it's basically how NBA 2K has sort of locked you into animations over the years. It had become so with a flick of the stick you are locking yourself into a long animation that may not be what you expected at all, and in the end this leads to a feeling of a lack of control. Now, a lot of that is gone. Aside from lay ups, pretty much the game doens't feel like you are locking into anything. So far it has led to a way smoother game.

The Celtics are also really fun to play as. Given all their changes, kind of a cool videogame moment to jump into the team and try to figure it out before the season.

Other changes:

• Shot meter is way different and it gives you feedback on how contested your shot was, which is pretty huge I think. It was hard to tell exactly how covered you were before.
    • The players basically all look WAY better. Even end of bench guys for the Celtics are dead on. Brad Stevens looks AWFUL tho so they didn't do coaches well (at least some of them). The body types look way better and realistic to the players. They didn't redo classic players though (at least a number of them) so the same ugly models for some of those guys.
    • I need to dig into the new dribble controls but so far so good.

I'll post more later. Have to go to work.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

How is the in game coaching ui, substitutions, playcalling etc. It completely ruined the last game for me.

I am considering picking up live instead this year, hate there is no pc version though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@oursin_360: I'll def check that stuff out and get back to you. Honestly I was just digging into the gameplay so I didn't do more than a pick and roll in the first game lol.

LIVE seems fine but not much with any fleshed out features. Some people really like the gameplay but I didn't think so much of the demo. Playing this, it seems quite a bit better with everything going on, especially the animation work. It is cheaper though so you have to give it that (at least right now I think it is). And I'm also someone who digs into all the many features of 2K.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My general rule is that I normally skip one or even two entries in sports games. Since I got 2K17 last year, that will be the case with 2K18.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Nodima

I haven't skipped a 2K since I started buying them with the 2K5 edition and I haven't skipped the pre-release weekend since they started offering that for pre-orders as well.

For whatever reason I'm real hesitant about this one, though. I really liked how the game played against the CPU last year - like, a lot - but I tried to get into MyTeam and found it so abusive and mean spirited compared to Diamond Dynasty, and realized a dark truth about myself that I will pump a good amount of money into a slot machine if I'm actually invested in cards that come up after I pull the level. I know with total certainty I would avoid that mode this year, but I still feel very burned and hurt by that experience and feel like I need to take a year off as a result.

I only played one game of 2KU in the Prelude and it was just too barebones to get a good read on the differences for me. I completely skipped the MyPlayer stuff, to me that's a different game altogether.

If I hear some really good things about how the game feels, and the changes they've made to MyLeague (or if that new MyGM mode is actually interesting and not heavily scripted) I'll get it next week sometime as a palate cleanser when I've ran all the Destiny stuff or just don't feel like doing challenges.

CF64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CF64

Does anyone else have this for the Switch? I haven't played an NBA 2K game in a while, but I decided to get it after hearing that it was a good port.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a good-ass thread title

that song will never be replaced

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@inevpatoria: NBA 2k peaked with 2k12 which used that as its intro song. (I also legit think it is the best of the NBA2k games)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.