Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

Nintendo's "New 3DS" adds some additional control functionality and horsepower, allowing for some games that can only run on the new hardware, not on Nintendo's original 3DS.

Is it worth buying a 3DS right now? (And other questions)

homermon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By homermon

So here's a bit of background to fuel the question:

• I live in Canada
    • My friends don't have any form of the 3DS
    • Last Nintendo handheld I owned was a DS Lite
    • I'd likely play on my daily transit
    • Would prefer a special edition or bundle

So I've been toying with the idea of getting a 3DS (Old or New) but I'm not sure if it's the right time to do so.

• How much longer will the 3DS likely last in the Nintendo handheld cycle?
    • What's the best version of the 3DS to buy (considering games/features)
    • Where can I usually find the cheapest hardware?
      • Going to try and avoid Amazon after listening to the Beastcast
    • What are some games with good single player experiences?

Thanks for helping me out!

tnecniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I also want to know, but the last handheld I owned was a GBA SP. I would love to explore the backlog of all the stuff I missed.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm thinking maybe 2-3 more years

Either the 3DS XL or the New 3DS (I like the larger screens) keep in mind that there are some (at this moment I believe 2) games that can ONLY be played on New 3DS because of the increase of power it has over the original 3DS.

No idea mainly because I'm from the U.S.but amazon will be the worst place because they don't sell Nintendo hardware anymore (third parties still do however)

Good single player games I liked are Zelda: Link between Worlds, Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@homermon: I think at this point its definitely worth picking up a 3DS. As far as cheapest, certain sites like Kotaku and Gamespot post daily video game deals from around the internet so maybe check there to see if any 3DS bundles catch your eye. I got my regular XL at Target last christmas for 150.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion said:

No idea mainly because I'm from the U.S.but amazon will be the worst place because they don't sell Nintendo hardware anymore (third parties still do however)

What?! When? I hadn't heard about this at all!

Edit: Apparently this is really old news, haha. I've been out of the loop for a few years.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

• Probably a year or two
    • You should probably get a New 3DS since it's the most recent iteration and easiest to find new in stores. As of right now the only real exclusive it has over the regular 3DS is Xenoblade, though there doesn't seem to much indication that much more big exclusives are coming to it. If you can somehow find an older 3DS (XL) and it's considerably cheaper, I'd personally go with that.
    • I don't live in Canada so I have no idea
    • Zeldas, Mario 3D Land, Pokemon XY/ORAS, Fire Emblem
    Avatar image for amakakeruhiruyunohirameki
    Amakakeruhiruyunohirameki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only reason to get New 3DS XL is to play Xenoblade and the MH series.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LeStephan

I would definitely test out the 3d on multiple 3ds-es, you could do without but its really awesome imo when it works well for you. Lots of people LOVE the xl but I find it horrible beyond believe (too heavy, games look like shit on bigger screen, 3d doenst work nearly as well as with the other 3ds-es for me) I have a Pikachu 3dsXL and it looks awesome but I just hate playing with the thing for the most part.

The new small 3ds is awesome imo and you could change the faceplates if you'd want.....oh wait it didnt come out in the US or canada right? If the new3ds wasnt available in small I'd still prefer my original 3ds (it helps that its a beautiful ocarina of time one)

And "Shinobi" on 3ds is bloody awesome and regularly goes for like 10 euros or less online, maybe the best classic shinobi game ever which weirdly no one bough/played. The 3d in it is awful though but the gameplay is fantastic.

EDIT: Oh and the 3ds is perfect for in transit as you can just close the 3ds and resume whenever, I know other handhelds can go into standby/resume mode too but a fully charged 3ds lasts for fucking ever in standby.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the New 3DS is the DSi of the 3DS series. But since you don't already own a 3DS, it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase one as it gives you access to the 3DS library which is pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.