Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS Sales Surge In Both North America and Japan

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

As predicted by some :), Nintendo's 3DS is seeing significant sales surges in both North America and Japan.

The following is taken from Cubed3.com:

"In its eighth month on the market, the Nintendo 3DS system crossed 1.65 million units sold in the US along, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. This milestone puts the platform on track to surpass the first-year total of Nintendo DS, the best-selling game platform in US history.

The Nintendo DS system sold 2.37 million units in its first 12 months (November 2004-October 2005), with approximately 50 percent of those sales occurring in the holiday time frame. With its first holiday season and the launches of the Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 on the horizon, Nintendo 3DS is poised to eclipse that number and establish a new benchmark for hand-held gaming launches in the United States.

With a massive line-up of software on the way and the first-year sales record of Nintendo DS in its sights, Nintendo 3DS enters its first holiday season with a full head of steam. - Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing.

On top of this, Nintendo sold more than 675,000 combined hardware units in October. This includes more than 250,000 units of Nintendo 3DS, nearly 250,000 Wii systems and nearly 180,000 units of the Nintendo DS family.

For the year, Nintendo has sold a combined 7 million hardware units and more than 55 million units of software have been sold for Nintendo platforms. Both of these numbers should increase with the 20th November launch of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for Wii.

Both Wii, up 8 percent year-on-year, and Nintendo DS, up 23 percent over the previous month, demonstrated strong momentum heading into their respective sixth and eighth holiday seasons. In total, the two platforms have sold more than 87 million combined hardware units and more than 540 million combined units of software in the United States."

Japan has seen a sales surge also, on the back of the release of Super Mario 3D Land:

"Mario's first 3DS outing sold an impressive 343,492 units in Japan in its first week, putting it on top of Media Create's software charts. This figure was amazingly almost triple the total amount of 3DS software sold in the whole of October. The system itself was outselling its games by a two to one ratio."

Will the doubters ever learn?, I think not :)

Source:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/16236http://www.cubed3.com/news/16232

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Brendan

Cool, thanks for the news.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By mariokart64fan

and bada bing badaboom my predection was that 3ds was gonna sell very well this holiday and for the remainder of the time, ---- and so far so good, vita doesnt even look like a threat to nintendo because all ive ever seen out of that thing is the same ol games psp had , just with better graphics, and let me tell you the requirment to have a memory card even inserted just to boot a game? off a already card based format ya thats one b ig hurddle, i guess i wont touch mine for 2 months at least when i get mine cause i aint paying 40 bucks for a 2 gig memory stick no thanks ,

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Woo! I was worried there for a second.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By KaneRobot

@Contro said:

Will the doubters ever learn?, I think not :)

Considering the "doubters" included Nintendo themselves, leading to a pretty insane emergency price drop never before seen on one of their systems, this is hardly that impressive or surprising. It's Christmas, what do you expect?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Cube

This is still pretty cool news. Bought my girlfriend one and she likes it a lot so it's nice to hear the 3DS is doing alright.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mariokart64fan

add 900k black friday number to that thank ya very much you doubters keep trying to analyze youll keep failing, your not professionals appearently,

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269

Good, now bring on the games. Mario Kart 7 isn't going to last me that long.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Afroman269 said:

Good, now bring on the games. Mario Kart 7 isn't going to last me that long.

I hear Super Mario 3D land is good.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mac_n_nina

@Afroman269: You should check out Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 3D, and Super Street Fighter IV. I know that 2 of those are remakes and one is a port, but they are all excellent. Also there's that new Resident Evil game coming out and a bunch of Nintendo titles if you're into that.

Libberate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Libberate

Yah, hopefully this will head to games getting made for it. I've played more Ice Climbers on it than I"ve played actual 3ds games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.