Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

"Connection" Is a Bad Word?

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By insouciant

In the 3DS on the Friends List, you're allowed to put a 16 character message that your friends see. I tried putting "Slow connection" and it said "This contains offensive language and can't be used." So I tried just putting "slow," and it was allowed. Then I tried "connection" by itself and it said it was offensive. I can't for the life of me figure out what's offensive in that word. Does anyone know?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Holy shit dude, censor your title before the Mods see. Shame on you.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

HOW LEWD!!!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Con Erection.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JasonR86

What sort of connection?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah, shit. "Connection"? You're a fuckin sicko, dude. They prefer "bond" or "coupling"; thank you very much.

Jeez. Some people...

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

All I can think of is connection between to human bodies.... if you know what I mean :/

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@insouciant: It's a Nintendo platform.
    Of course something that could be related to internet connectivity would be seen as offensive to them :P

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

All I can think of is connection between to human bodies.... if you know what I mean :/

Sex?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Flagged for offensive language!

Both my male and female USBs can remain disconnected, thankyouverymuch!

Really though, how does that get censored?!

EDIT: Apparently "conne" is the part of the word that gets it censored since it's a French feminine insult (surprisingly the male equivalent isn't filtered). Still, though, can't they just filter "conne" and not connection?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@insouciant: Oh, and if you're looking for a real answer, they use an algorithm which determines bad words and whether a user might just be moving around letters to get away with a bad word. This means that the algorithm looks at different orders of letters as well, and "connection" is sometimes banned due to the fact that it contains the letters "c", "o", "n", and "o". Which can be used to form a derogatory term toward black individuals. Words containing "conne", a French insult, are sometimes banned, as well. Which may explain why "disconnect" is also a banned word.

It is an overreach by their bad words system, but this concept of trying to prevent slightly rearranged words or words containing bad words leads to many seemingly fine words being banned. In your case, it is "connection".

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I was once unable to name a monster in a game "Nightwatcher" because of such restrictions.

It took me a while to figure out why.

Anyhow, I used some numbers and named it something actually offensive instead, 'cuz no way is the man keeping me down!

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@truthtellah said:

@insouciant: Oh, and if you're looking for a real answer, they use an algorithm which determines bad words and whether a user might just be moving around letters to get away with a bad word. This means that the algorithm looks at different orders of letters as well, and "connection" is sometimes banned due to the fact that it contains the letters "c", "o", "n", and "o". Which can be used to form a derogatory term toward black individuals. Words containing "conne", a French insult, are sometimes banned, as well. Which may explain why "disconnect" is also a banned word.

It is an overreach by their bad words system, but this concept of trying to prevent slightly rearranged words or words containing bad words leads to many seemingly fine words being banned. In your case, it is "connection".

Wait a minute, I thought coño wasn't racist but a general derogatory term that was the equivalent of one-word interjections we use in English? My Hispanic friend drops it all the time when something makes him suddenly very irritated and he usually interjects "Aye coño~!" similar to how people say "Damn it!" unless the "c" "o" "n" "o" you're referring to is a different slur altogether.

In any case, if Nintendo has a filter that sophisticated, they should really whitelist words in the dictionary from being perceived as remixed slurs.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah:

Thank you. How'd you know "conne" was a French insult?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah:

Thank you. How'd you know "conne" was a French insult?

You are not actually the first person to ever wonder why "connection" or "disconnect" are banned on the 3DS. Others had mentioned this issue.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By StarFoxA

I love how that's a banned word, yet Animal Crossing let me set one of my villagers' catchphrases as "boner."

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starfoxa said:

I love how that's a banned word, yet Animal Crossing let me set one of my villagers' catchphrases as "boner."

No Caption Provided

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cole yells "Double Penetrate!" every time I talk to him haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.