Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

End of 2011, what do you 3DS owners think of the system?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

Now that 2011 is coming to a close I thought it would be interesting to see what 3DS owners think of the system and possibly what everyone is looking forward too. I don't want to ramble so I'll just break out my opinion on the 3DS after a month+ of having it in pros and cons:

Pro:

- I think the eshop is pretty great. I got Pushmo, VVVVV and Mighty Switch Force so if these titles are a good indication of the quality of games on the service I'm pumped.

- I think Streetpass and Spotpass are neat.

- The overall feel and build quality of the system is great.

- People complain about the battery but I think it's just fine.

- Friends list is good.

Con:

- While I shouldn't be surprised the only retail games I'm looking forward too or have are first party Nintendo games. I'm hoping I see something that interests me that is third party.

- The camera is crap.

- I have never played a game in 3D for more than 2 minutes without feeling sick which is weird as I play some PS3 games and watch movies in 3D just fine.

Looking forward the only thing I want is more eshop and hopefully they release GBA games for purchase. I would gladly pay $10, no more, for some of the games I missed like the second Fire Emblem. The only retail game I'm looking forward too is Luigi's Mansion 2 and deep down I know it will be a novelty like the first one.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Loose

@msavo said:

- I have never played a game in 3D for more than 2 minutes without feeling sick which is weird as I play some PS3 games and watch movies in 3D just fine.

You've probably heard this a hundred times already, but the 3D in Super Mario 3D Land is pretty fantastic.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beforet

Same as my PSP: I don't!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Loose I have that game and I still feel weird. I've heard good things about Mario Kart in 3D so maybe that will finally be the game I can use the 3D.
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Loose

@msavo: Really? I've played the game almost exclusively in 3D and it hasn't bothered me at all. In fact it's actually weird not playing it in 3D for me now.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Loose Maybe it's me. I'll try again with fresh eyes. Do you recommend playing in the dark or in a well lit area?
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Loose

@msavo: I've played it in both settings and neither had any notable impact on the experience. I do generally play the game in a well-lit area, so make of that what you will.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm hugely fond of it and I am often messing with it. I don't think there has been a single day where I haven't messed with it since I got it. I like the 3D and I think there's a bunch of cool games that are out and are coming like Resident Evil in a few weeks.

It seems there is some kind of focus on e-shop stuff in the last few weeks and both Pushmo/Pullbox and Mighty Switch Force are fantastic. even the little things like that draw pad thingy are cool little things to mess about with. I like the built in games. I'm probably on my own, but I really like the design of the system... I think it looks pretty.

I always use the 3D... Mario looks fantastic with it switched on

The Battery has never really been an issue either.

I don't like how wobbly the top screen is though.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jack268

It has a much bigger library than people give it credit for, especially with the ambassador games. Personally, I have to finish up Zelda: Link's Awakening, The Minish Cap, Fire Emblem, Metroid Fusion, Mighty Switch Force, Pushmo, Tales of the Abyss and Mario 3D Land. I think that's huge, and there's also MK7 for multiplayer. 

My biggest problem is the top screen getting scratched, and the battery life is a little short. Honestly though, I don't notice the battery life normally, it just dies faster in sleep mode than the PSP does for example. I've never had to stop playing and turn off the system because I was out of battery though, so I guess it's not really a problem. 

The play coins system or whatever is fucking weird though. I capped that out in 3 days just by walking around and have never spent them on anything. I don't even know what they're for. 

The 3D was giving me headaches at first, but playing Pushmo now it's not noticeable. I'm finding it a bit iffy to hold the system for longer amounts of time though, it kind of makes my wrist cramp. 

Aside from the Nintendo titles, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil: Revelations, Metal Gear Solid 3D and Monster Hunter 4. I think the biggest game on the system is going to be the new Smash Bros game though. I think it's a great decision to bring that game to handhelds, especially if they can make the netcode work out.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@Jack268: How could you have capped out the play coin limit after only 3 days? Each day you can get a max of 10 coins for an overall max of 300 coins. Also they are for some of the apps such as Swapnote and the mini games inside the Mii Plaza.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

I really haven't had any issues with it at all. Not even the battery life. (Because seriously, how often am I going to be playing the thing for hours and hour and hours on end with no chance to charge it?)

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack268
    @Oscar__Explosion: I guess it was 30 days then. Still, I just think they seem pretty pointless. It's so extremely easy to hit that daily cap.
    TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By TrashMustache

I think the 3D is really really subtle to the point I forget it's there. in Super Mario 3D Land the 3D is terrific, they still could have done more with it but what they do is awesome. to answer your question my reasons may differ from other users but 1) I would not have bought it at the launch price, simply because I'm not wealthy, so it did take the 80dollar price cut for me to act but I'm glad I did, the second reason is that I've never owned a DS or DSi so I also thought about the backlog of DS games I could play and that broadened the appeal as well. The apps that come with it like Face Raiders, AR and the recent Nintendo Letterbox are wonderful. So with this context layed out: I'm very satisfied with the 3DS. The only thing that really bothers me is the lack of demo's and actual 3D trailers for games, it's the most retarded thing to watch a 2D trailer for a 3D game on the only device that plays that 3D game, but it has already improved since I first bought it so I'm not worried.

In closing, even if the 3DS continues to fail financially, I'll still be glad to have it as a "historical" piece, and I already have fun memories to look back at, but of course I hope it all falls in place and we can enjoy new games for years to come.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By darkfury

I went from bringing it to work on a daily basis for the StreetPass stuff, then interest dropped off shortly after OOT's release. But recently I've been playing Ghost Trick and Pullblox, the latter being the biggest surprise yet for how great the 3D can be.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer

While I'm waiting for a 3DS game to move me to purchasing it, I've been having a lot of fun with various eShop games, my Scambassador program games, and street passing. Maybe it's simply by virtue of the place I'm living, but almost every time I go out I end up street passing with at least one person.

The interface is fine and I've found the 3d to be largely inoffensive although largely useless in the games I've been playing. I'm just waiting for something like Monster Hunter to come out so I can really start killing that battery.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DeF

@Jack268 said:

@Oscar__Explosion: I guess it was 30 days then. Still, I just think they seem pretty pointless. It's so extremely easy to hit that daily cap.

they're not useless to me. I use them to hire adventurers for find mii and I run out of them quickly

overall I'm pretty happy with the system.

Ocarina of Time 3D was great, Mario 3D Land is still great, Pushmo is fantastic, the Ambassador games are terrific and the virtual console offering is good as well. there's a lot to do on your 3DS and most of the stuff I have on there has been free (swapnote, 20 classic games, [and soon] kid icarus 3d classics version).

people still hating on the 3DS just stuck with their bad first impression. it's not perfect by a long shot but it's a better system with a better library than people give it credit for.

Alana1385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alana1385

I just got my 3DS for Christmas and so far I'm loving it, especially the slide directional pad. It works so good! I haven't had any problems with the 3D making me feel sick, which I anticipated having problems with, since I usually have a weak stomach but so far so good.

So far I've gotten Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, Star Fox, Ocarina of Time, Shinobi, and Street Fighter and they all look great. Can't wait to see what other games are going to be announced for it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DeF

@Alana1385 said:

I just got my 3DS for Christmas and so far I'm loving it, especially the slide directional pad. It works so good! I haven't had any problems with the 3D making me feel sick, which I anticipated having problems with, since I usually have a weak stomach but so far so good.

So far I've gotten Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, Star Fox, Ocarina of Time, Shinobi, and Street Fighter and they all look great. Can't wait to see what other games are going to be announced for it.

you definitely need to grab Pushmo ($6) and Swapnote (free!) off the eShop!

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By cannedstingray

I bought one, I never play it. I actually cleaned it all up and put everything back in the original packaging. Put it all back in the original box, so it basically looks like a new console again, and was gonna give it away to one of my kids, but I decided to get them ipads instead. So now it's just sitting in the box, because I couldn't think of anyone else to give it to for Xmas ..

I don't know why I buy these things. The stupid part is I now want to buy a Vita. I probably will, and I bet I won't play it much either. Although I tell myself I will.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kgb0515

I think the general consensus on the whole 3d motion sickness thing is that some people are affected by it and others are not. The effect is similar to regular motion sickness. In regard to having issues with the 3DS screen versus a 3D television, the principles are very different. The 3DS uses different tech to create the illusion of depth whereas most TV sets use shutter glasses or special lenses. Age may play a factor too. I never had a problem with motion sickness or optical illusion induced eye strain until my mid to late 20s. I like the idea of the 3D on the 3DS, but I can't play with it cranked up or I have trouble seeing 2D print (black text on white background especially) after playing for a while.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan

I have spent a ton of time playing a bunch of GBA games I missed (early adopter, derp!). So I'm pretty happy, even though so far I've only bought one retail game (OoT). I don'y feel like the system doesn't have enough for me to do, since much of my time is spent keeping up with home console releases anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.