Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

For someone whos never played Ocarina of Time..

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Do you think the 3DS remake they are doing is the best way to finaly play it? I know that the game probaly looks rather rough these days, but I always wanted to play it and was wondering if getting it on 3DS would be the best option since they are prettying it up?  What do you think?
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By X19

I would watch this

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword
    @X19:

would rather play it myself.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aus_azn

If you have any access to an N64, play it there.

If you have access to a GCN and the Collector's Edition disc, play it there instead.

Only then should you go to the 3DS.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By jacksukeru

I think you should wait until it's actually out on 3DS to ask this question, more people will know the actual differences then. 

If you were able wait until now to play it, you could probably wait a little longer.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

....how did this happen? How have you not played it? 

You could wait or you can find a copy of the gamecube refurnished rerelease and play it on a GC/Wii. Or play it with worse resolution on the N64. Just play it!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Mainly because of the graphical improvements, the 3DS version will probably be the best version to play when it comes out.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

I guess. I kinda hope they change some stuff though, because a lot of people have played that game once or twice.  
    I don't even like the 3D Zelda games as much as most people seem to and I've both played through and watched a friend do a playthrough of the game. 

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword
    @Aus_azn:

Why is the 3DS going to be the worse one? I actualy do own a N64, but I thought it would be better to just play it where its gonna look better.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Well it will definitely be more expensive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wait until some more information surfaces on the 3DS version. At this point in time, it looks like it will be the best looking version, but there could be some serious control issues to deal with.

That said, if you have access to a GameCube and can find one of the two discs released with Ocarina, that's the best version out there right now.

I wouldn't try and go back to the N64 version. Without nostalgia to blanket your senses, it's an ugly game by today's standards.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By ch3burashka

I'm also in that tiny camp of people that have not played it. I'll probably try an emulator sometime soon.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60

I'd get the 3ds version for the simple fact of the Water Temple being less of a pain in the dick.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By EpicSteve

Go ahead and play the version that looks the best. Even if they redo some of the game's segments, you'll get the basic idea. I can't imagine anything being changed too dramatically. Plus you can better justify your playing time on a relevant system and release. Considering the game is widely accepted as the greatest game of all time, it's your duty to play it. 

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A smooth framerate and better animations make the 3DS version the optimal choice. Seriously that framerate blew my mind when I first saw it.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By BrittonPeele

Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time, and I love it in its original format... But if you've never played it before, I would imagine that the 3DS version will be just fine, if not the best way to go. Improved visuals, portability, easier inventory management...

But like others have said, you may want to ask again when it's actually out just to make sure.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ben_H

The gold cartridge N64 version is the best one.  It had the best music for the Fire Temple.  They changed it later on because it apparently had an Islamic chant in it or something like that.

That said, any version will do because that game is awesome and has aged fantastically.  I played through it for about the 7th time about 6 months back and it was still awesome.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Aus_azn: Why is the 3DS going to be the worse one? I actualy do own a N64, but I thought it would be better to just play it where its gonna look better. "
    If I ever get a 3DS, I'm turning the "intensity" down as close to naught as possible. I don't like 3D, and I don't think I'd like to experience the game in 3D, especially because it holds quite a few memories for me.

To see it on its original console will allow you to understand why the game is bloody brilliant. When given the limitations of the platform, they still managed to create this and I would encourage you to view it in its original form. Of course, the GCN one is just an emulated port, so that's equally acceptable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.