Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Walmart 3DS Price Drop Effective...NOW (Aug 9)

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff

It's been no secret that I wasn't excited about the 3DS, but even I can't argue with an $80 price drop AND 20 free games.

As of 645 AM ET this morning, I bought one for $169.96 at Walmart. So if you've been on the fence, now is the time to act so that you can register in the eShop before Friday and get your free games.

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By spacegandhi

I checked the southern Wal-Mart in Terre Haute, IN to see if the price drop was for real. The electronics department had just changed the stickers and had three of each color in stock. But as I stood there, with cash in hand, I could not bring myself to purchase the system. It's certainly a great deal and I wouldn't begrudge anyone from taking advantage of it. Dutiful consumer as I am, I'm still contemplating a return visit and purchase. But as it stands there are no games I really want to play on the 3DS and the winter lineup does little to excite me. My Mario Kart boner was forever doused upon by the icy cold contents of Mario Kart Wii and even the new Mario Bros. looks about as "workman like" as a first party Nintendo game can be. As for the 20 free games, or the primary reason for my possible purchase, I do for some reason want them but I already own the majority multiple times over. Finally, I thought of how, as this new handheld sat unused I will be playing Batman, Skyrim and Uncharted, all of which will be coming out within the space of three weeks and could be bought with this impulsive 3DS money.

So once again, its a great deal, one I might for some indefensible reason act on. But as of this morning I have resisted temptation.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Does this price drop have anything to do with the lawsuit against Nintendo regarding the 3D technology?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

It just isn't enough. No Picross 3D, no Professor Layton, and no Pokemon. And no Paper Mario 3DS just yet.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB
    @rjayb89 said:

It just isn't enough. No Picross 3D, no Professor Layton, and no Pokemon. And no Paper Mario 3DS just yet.

I mean, they'll all be coming out eventually... but it just depends on how patient you are. By the time, say, a new Pokemon game comes out, the price may have dropped a second time. Remember that Black and White came out just a bit ago outside of Japan. 

I'm also somewhat tempted, but I don't think I'll jump on it. Nintendo have soured me on their first iterations, or even second iterations, of a single console. I've heard many a story about 3DS defects that I'd fully believe, being a victim of 2 defective, different model DSes. Specifically, hinge breakage, which apparently plagues the 3DS as well. 

Besides that, Nintendo has yet to show me a game I would be seriously interested in. The new Mario game looks like a bust to me, but obviously that opinion is based on very little as I haven't played it, nor even seen a *whole* lot of footage. Hearing it described as "slow" doesn't help, and I was hoping for either a Mario 64 or Galaxy type game given the hardware capabilities. 

But mostly it's the first thing. I don't want to fund Nintendo's beta hardware tests ever again. And that battery... it's hard to even think of it as a portable system; more like a home console with a separate 3D screen.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Legend

Nintendo really fucked up with this Ambassador Program. If they wanted to do something special as a "thank you" for people who bought the 3DS for $250, they should've made sure that retailers respect the date they set up for the price-drop. The fact that people who bought the 3DS for $170 are now also getting into the Amvassador Program makes it.. not so special anymore. XD

KiLlerBLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By KiLlerBLT
    @SpaceGandhi: I'm right there with you.  It's such a good deal and I'd love Yoshi's Island, but I already own it on the Super Nintendo.  $170 is still a lot of money, especially when I already have an iPhone and can buy some pretty good games for only a dollar or two.  As tempting as it is, I think I can resist until Smash Bros and another price drop.
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#8  Edited By Marino  Staff

I debated it as well, but I was probably going to buy one by the end of the year anyway and couldn't pass up on the free games.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Vexxan

Still want my Pokemon 3DS, the system might be even cheaper when it comes out. Not that they would do another huge price cut like this one but you know...just even cheaper.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Not till Luigi's Mansion 2 comes out- I've got all of those GBA games on my Xperia Play.

BenX02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BenX02

Target has it for this price already as well.  

I just picked mine up along with Zelda tonight. I'm loving it so far! And 20 free game whoo!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.