Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

How does this DS stylus rate?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    Bumblebee Universal Stylus

Function:
    The touchscreen: a modern interface used, in the case of the DS, for gaming, chatting and drawing. You could use your finger, but you'll have horrible accuracy. You can use a stylus, like the one that comes with the DS, but it's a bit small and awkward for larger hands... and it doesn't scream, "I love the Autobots!"

This one does.

Performance:
    The business end of the Bumblebee Universal Stylus has a rounded point to it, identical to a typical stylus. This, its accuracy is like other styluses. However, the Bumblebee Universal Stylus is the same length as your average writing pen, making it easier to hold and write with for larger hands, not to mention easier to find if you happen to drop it somewhere.

However, the Bumblebee Universal Stylus is really all about style. And, it is styled after everyone's favorite Autobot, Bumblebee. It's yellow and black and branded with the Autobot logo, with high-tech-looking angular design reminiscent of Bumblebee.

I find that when I use it, I either hold the stylus solely by the three holes towards the end, or with my thumb and first finger over these holes and my middle finger a little forward, against the flat of the third side, just forward of the third hole.

Features:
    • Officially Licensed Transformers Product
    • Designed in the Style of Bumblebee
    • Full Pen-Sized Stylus
    • Rubber Cushioning for Hand
    • Triangular Grip

Drawbacks & Problems:
    While the stylus that comes with the DS is small and nondescript, saying nothing about you as aperson, the stylish Bumblebee Universal Stylus isn't going to fit nicely into the back of your DS for easy storage and porting around.

Another thing to consider is that, although Bumblebee is really cool, he wasn't designed to be ergonomic or comfortable to hold. This meant the Bumblebee Universal Stylus had to draw a line somewhere between being true to Bumblebee's angular design and making a stylus that is comfortable to hold for long periods of time. In the end, this stylus stayed closer to the license, giving us a product that looks really cool, but is not the most comfortable stylus to hold. It's not painful, but it could get bothersome if used for long periods of time.

In the end, it comes down to your dedication to the Transformers and your need to express yourself. The Bumblebee Universal Stylus is cool looking, but isn't the most practical stylus out there, and, as such, isn't for everyone.

Aside from the impracticalities of it all (not fitting in the DS),and not being a Transformers fan, this looks cool.  That leads to the question though, does anyone use 3rd party stylus for the DS at all?  Is this one cool?

I am more likely to be a collector of cool stylus, but so much the user.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By oldschool

No-one into a Transformers stylus?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

It is cool looking, you can definitely see how it's been inspired by Bumblebee, but if you ask me, it's a case of stylus over substance..*baboom*

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Like all these weird stylus, cool to have but wont use

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By torus
    @Linkyshinks:
    No Caption Provided

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Ossi said:
    " That looks like something out of math class. "
    My thoughts exactly.  It looks like a pencil pen (or whatever they are called).
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Marzy

I thought it looked like compass (one of those things you draw a circle with).

I've never used any other stylus other than the ones I got with my DS's. I have used a cotton bud though, which cleans the screen the same time as you play. : )

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Marzy said:
    " I thought it looked like compass (one of those things you draw a circle with).I've never used any other stylus other than the ones I got with my DS's. I have used a cotton bud though, which cleans the screen the same time as you play. : ) "
    Up there for lateral thinking man - a cotton bud  :-)  I am using my inex finger and thumb to play Pokemon Platinum with.   Works well.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By nanikore

After the recent violating of the Transformers series, I don't want to touch/be close to anything that has anything to do with it.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Marzy
    @oldschool said:
    " @Marzy said:
    " I thought it looked like compass (one of those things you draw a circle with).I've never used any other stylus other than the ones I got with my DS's. I have used a cotton bud though, which cleans the screen the same time as you play. : ) "
    Up there for lateral thinking man - a cotton bud  :-)  I am using my inex finger and thumb to play Pokemon Platinum with.   Works well.
    "

He he, thanks. : )

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I'll stick with my Light Saber stylus thank you.
    But Marzy's clean as you play stylus sounds pretty neat.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us

I dont like the look of it at all. I am pretty happy with the one that came in the box with my DS though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @ValkyrieGoddess said:
    " 1.  I'll stick with my Light Saber stylus thank you.     2.  But Marzy's clean as you play stylus sounds pretty neat. "
    1.  You nerd  :-)
    2.  It could bring out the clean freak in all of us.  I am going to give it a try.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
    @oldschool said:
    " @ValkyrieGoddess said:
    " 1.  I'll stick with my Light Saber stylus thank you.     2.  But Marzy's clean as you play stylus sounds pretty neat. "
    2.  It could bring out the clean freak in all of us.  I am going to give it a try.

"
    Hey i couldn't pass up a good deal. I only payed 3 dollars for a set of light saber stylus at i think it was Sears.
    I've been half tempted to buy a new stylus but i haven't really seen any that peek my interest yet.

Wait while googling this caught my attention.... Wonder where i can get one of those???

No Caption Provided

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Wolverine
    @oldschool: My main problem with it is I wouldn't know where to put it. What I like about the regular stylus is that is slides right into the DS, its convenient.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Wolverine said:
    "
    @oldschool: My main problem with it is I wouldn't know where to put it. What I like about the regular stylus is that is slides right into the DS, its convenient. "We are still talking about stylus right    xP
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @oldschool said:
    " @Wolverine said:
    "
    @oldschool: My main problem with it is I wouldn't know where to put it. What I like about the regular stylus is that is slides right into the DS, its convenient. "We are still talking about stylus right    xP
    "
    That would be my problem. I like the easy carrying of the regular stylus. Also I personally think this stylus (actually most 3rd party stylus') are ugly. I prefer the sleek look of the original.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @ValkyrieGoddess said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @ValkyrieGoddess said:

"
    Hey i couldn't pass up a good deal. I only payed 3 dollars for a set of light saber stylus at i think it was Sears.
    I've been half tempted to buy a new stylus but i haven't really seen any that peek my interest yet.

Wait while googling this caught my attention.... Wonder where i can get one of those???

No Caption Provided
    "

Club Nintendo gave out those Quill stylus's with Phantom Hourglass, if you registered your game with a set time, by typing the VIP code into your account.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.