Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Need shopping help, region differences between (US) & (Japan) DSi

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in a position where I can buy either version but I like to know whats the difference between the two? I've never owned the original DS. Other than superficial things like colour, are games region locked, shops different...etc? Any advice? Thanks.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

The DSiWare is definitely locked by region.

Japan DSiWare shop will have different games, but obvioulsy be in Japanese.  Not quite sure how you top up your points to buy games or even if your DSi will automatically link to the Japanese shop.

I would suggest the US DSi is a better and safer option.

Those familiar with WiiWare and shops in different regions may be able to help.  I have a PAL and NTSC Wii, but as I can't get online, I can't help from experience.
    Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Any idea on the games themselves?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool
    kitsune_conundrum said:
    Any idea on the games themselves?
    The Japanese DSSiware ones?  No idea to be honest.  Most of the better ones get a release in the west - translated.  The really odd ones won't though  :-(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.