Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Quality of the DSi Web Browser?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

Alright. I have been pretty anti-handheld consoles for quite a long time. Well, part of me is feeling guilty that I kinda want a DSi. But what can I say? It looks awesome.

Anyway, one of the things that caught my eye was the addition of a web browser. Does anyone know whether this is a quality web browser, like the one on iPhones? Would I be able to access GiantBomb via Opera? Hm, hm?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

All i know that it is hell faster than the opera browser that came out for the regular DS with a ram pack that plugged into Slot-2. Not exactly sure if the DSi browser is opera based actually, will have to check that.
    The site is far from being optimized for opera actually, last time i checked it was impossible to make wiki edit with it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Alright. I have been pretty anti-handheld consoles for quite a long time. Well, part of me is feeling guilty that I kinda want a DSi. But what can I say? It looks awesome.Anyway, one of the things that caught my eye was the addition of a web browser. Does anyone know whether this is a quality web browser, like the one on iPhones? Would I be able to access GiantBomb via Opera? Hm, hm?"
    You may want to have a look at this video.  SSeems pretty cool to be honest.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb
    oldschool said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Alright. I have been pretty anti-handheld consoles for quite a long time. Well, part of me is feeling guilty that I kinda want a DSi. But what can I say? It looks awesome.Anyway, one of the things that caught my eye was the addition of a web browser. Does anyone know whether this is a quality web browser, like the one on iPhones? Would I be able to access GiantBomb via Opera? Hm, hm?"

"

I wasn't so much referring to the speed of the connection, rather the amount of content the browser would be able to access. For example: I have the Verizon Wireless enV cellphone. It has internet access, albeit incredibly limited internet access. Because of the lack of memory, there are few websites I can access. On the other hand, the iPhone's Safari browser can get you onto pretty much whatever a normal computer could access, with few exceptions.

Will the DSi's Opera browser be comparable to the former or latter?
    Dewmocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dewmocracy

I doubt it will have flash, thats the one thing I don't like about iphones safari.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool
    BiggerBomb said:
    "oldschool said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

"
    I wasn't so much referring to the speed of the connection, rather the amount of content the browser would be able to access. For example: I have the Verizon Wireless enV cellphone. It has internet access, albeit incredibly limited internet access. Because of the lack of memory, there are few websites I can access. On the other hand, the iPhone's Safari browser can get you onto pretty much whatever a normal computer could access, with few exceptions.Will the DSi's Opera browser be comparable to the former or latter?"
    I am doubtful that it will do anything like the iPod Touch/Phone.  I do know (I think) that it will NOT play video from the internet.  There is one limitation.  Apparently there is talk that it does support flash (read it somewhere) but I can't confirm it.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Dewmocracy said:
    "I doubt it will have flash, thats the one thing I don't like about iphones safari. "

Only the video/audio players require flash. The rest of the website isn't dependent on it, fortunately.
    Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Darth Paul
    @BiggerBomb said:
    " oldschool said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

"
    I wasn't so much referring to the speed of the connection, rather the amount of content the browser would be able to access. For example: I have the Verizon Wireless enV cellphone. It has internet access, albeit incredibly limited internet access. Because of the lack of memory, there are few websites I can access. On the other hand, the iPhone's Safari browser can get you onto pretty much whatever a normal computer could access, with few exceptions.Will the DSi's Opera browser be comparable to the former or latter? "
    QFT. I have  a DSI XL and the browser is horrible. It's slow loading and I can't access hardly anything. My wife's ipod touch is 1000x better for accessing anything on the web that I can get on my normal PC or Mac. Also, it can't play video, just some minor flash graphics. Does anyone know if there is any way to boost the memory so that it doesn't run out so much?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.