Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Ubisoft: The DS market is in decline this year.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Ubisoft's sales numbers for the Nintendo DS platform are down this year compared to 2008, as part of the global slowdown following the economic collapse.

According to the publisher's UK Games For Everyone boss, Mark Slaughter, Ubisoft's aim this year is to defend the market share established by the Imagine range of games for girls as the company builds up to another busy Christmas period.

In an interview looking at the success of the Imagine range, and the challenges of bringing it to market, Slaughter explained that the company's big marketing spend, combined with strong retailer relationships, were two factors that helped the games to cut through a crowded DS marketplace last Christmas.

"But I think we face similar challenges again this year, because of the way the DS market is declining - and things change over the period of a year," he explained to GamesIndustry.biz. "What we did last year was set out our stall quite early, we shared with retailers exactly what we were going to do and showed them our level of investment, and our plan.

"They got behind it, and the momentum then - from advertising through to retail support - really delivered strong sales in the last five or six weeks of the year. I think we sold 300,000 units in the last four weeks of 2008, and I think that was the evolution of all of the different factors - strong selling, a strong retail team, strong backing and significant marketing spends with Fearne, Holly and the X-Factor.

And when questioned further on his comments regarding the DS market's decline, Slaughter added some more details.

"I mean the DS market from last year to this year, in terms of software sales," he said. "Overall, for everybody... there is a decline in the DS market in its entirety. So instead of that being a growing market, within Ubisoft we have to find out how much of that pie we can actually defend.

"It's our objective this year to actually maintain market share," he continued, going on to explain some of the reason for the downturn. "Pricing is very important, and where people may have been buying two or three games last year, this year they may only be buying one. The average purchasing is going down.

"There is still a massive installed base, so the market is still there - but I think you've got to be clever about what part of that market you're taking. We're still forecasting big numbers this year for Imagine."

The full interview with Mark Slaughter and Rachel Grant is available now.     

Where's my Polar Bearz?
          Where's my Polar Bearz?
     I am just curious.  Has Ubisoft actually produced a good game for the DS this year that was aimed at little kids? 

I think there is no problem with the DS, just that there is only so many little kids games the market can sustain, and at some point, even these kids are going to figure out that the new Z game is exactly the same as the last with cosmetic changes (this year we are introducing a new animal!!!!) 

I can't remember the last time Ubisoft made a DS game I wanted.   Anyone else get the same feeling from Ubisoft?
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VWGTI

There is no way in hell. There is a new Pokeman game coming out next year. There is also a new Zelda being released in the Winter. Oh, and don't forget about Golden Sun DS. Maybe if Ubisoft made something worth buying they'd have more faith in the little handheld monster. It's pretty obvious that the DS is going to have another awesome year.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

Whaaaa, Ubisoft bad? But this is the same company that's brought us such hits as Imagine Babyz, 
    My Stop Smoking Coach with Allen Carr and Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the movie DS?! Preposterous!

.....Yeah, I'm quite sure they think the DS market is in decline...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool

Come on.  Surely someone can tell me a good game that Ubisoft has made for the DS this year ............ or last year ........... whenever. 

They have milked the DS cow dry and the audience must be getting bored with it.  It isn't like they are incapable.  Ubisoft has some history of good games.  How about Beyond Good & Evil DS?  That could be good.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By VWGTI
    @oldschool: 

That's probably not a viable business option in their eyes. Why risk putting a quality game out on the market that doesn't sell when you can easily produce 10 shitty games, cover your eyes, and hope the shit sticks to the wall? I mean losing the confidence of the market is a smart business move, right? RIGHT?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @VWGTI said:
    " @oldschool:  That's probably not a viable business option in their eyes. Why risk putting a quality game out on the market that doesn't sell when you can easily produce 10 shitty games, cover your eyes, and hope the shit sticks to the wall? I mean losing the confidence of the market is a smart business move, right? RIGHT? "
    If the company I work for went down the same path it would certainly die.  As a long term strategy, it sucks and is putting them in the same company as the real budget developers and distributors.  Even the Raving Rabbids games have sucked (more attempts at a quick buck I guess) and the Wii versions are good fun. 

They need a big, good RPG to restore any faith from me.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool

Well, they did release Grey's Anatomy DS in  2009.  I guess that redeems them  ^-^

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

I seriously doubt that the majority of DS owners have suddenly smarted up to Ubisoft's tactics.  When a platform gets lots of shovelware it lasts year after year.  Those people never get too smart for it.  We had shovelware decades ago and still do.

It's more likely it's decreasing sales in a certain market demographic.  Little kids whose parents are buying less games for them.  Extremely casual gamers for whom gaming isn't their main entertainment vector.  This is supported by other sales data such as sharply dropping Wii system sales.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool

I wouldn't call the Wii sales sharply dropping. 

26/09163,156161,073234,895402,59799,468
    19/09193,170140,799255,272388,624109,203
    12/09181,624146,914306,793375,472108,581
    05/09182,200162,462551,206368,592123,920
    29/08194,905139,484128,026379,800136,282
    22/08201,249108,78474,697408,884115,186
    15/08238,783115,15377,470435,482131,798
    08/08254,510103,52579,260426,381130,343
    01/08337,736105,60086,422421,282135,694
    25/07231,890105,94389,734420,576127,301

With the release of the PS3 Slim and the 360 price drop, there was a shift, but there is no overall pattern emerging.  Notice that the PS3 sales are settling down to where the Wii sales were before the new PS3 release.  Not exactly sharp. 

I think the global recession is a big factor in the number of games being bought, but I still think the repetitive nature of these games does mean parents are likely to question "why am I buying this again?"  They will get their Christmas surge though, I am sure.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @oldschool said:

" I wouldn't call the Wii sales sharply dropping. 

26/09163,156161,073234,895402,59799,468
    19/09193,170140,799255,272388,624109,203
    12/09181,624146,914306,793375,472108,581
    05/09182,200162,462551,206368,592123,920
    29/08194,905139,484128,026379,800136,282
    22/08201,249108,78474,697408,884115,186
    15/08238,783115,15377,470435,482131,798
    08/08254,510103,52579,260426,381130,343
    01/08337,736105,60086,422421,282135,694
    25/07231,890105,94389,734420,576127,301
      With the release of the PS3 Slim and the 360 price drop, there was a shift, but there is no overall pattern emerging.  Notice that the PS3 sales are settling down to where the Wii sales were before the new PS3 release.  Not exactly sharp.  I think the global recession is a big factor in the number of games being bought, but I still think the repetitive nature of these games does mean parents are likely to question "why am I buying this again?"  They will get their Christmas surge though, I am sure. "
    Where'd you get that chart, because it's not at all accurate.  I'm talking US & Japanese numbers, not UK or other EU regions.  Wii is down 50% year over year.

edit : Oh VGChartz.  Dude, that site is completely fake, not one bit of actual good info there.  Look to NPD and Media Create charts for real data.  Wii is plummeting, at least before the price drop, we'll soon see how that turned out.

edit 2 : I might add, Wii is down 50% year over year for over 6 months now.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Maybe Ubisoft will actually spend some resources on the DS now? No? Oh well, one can dream. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " Maybe Ubisoft will actually spend some resources on the DS now? No? Oh well, one can dream.  "
    You need to cut down on the drugs man  (^_^) 

@Diamond said:
    " Where'd you get that chart, because it's not at all accurate.  I'm talking US & Japanese numbers, not UK or other EU regions.  Wii is down 50% year over year.  edit : Oh VGChartz.  Dude, that site is completely fake, not one bit of actual good info there.  Look to NPD and Media Create charts for real data.  Wii is plummeting, at least before the price drop, we'll soon see how that turned out.  edit 2 : I might add, Wii is down 50% year over year for over 6 months now. "
    That is worldwide.  It still an exaggeration to call it plummeting.  It still sells more than the 360 and time will tell what happens to the PS3 sales.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
    @oldschool said:
    Where'd you get that chart, because it's not at all accurate.  I'm talking US & Japanese numbers, not UK or other EU regions.  Wii is down 50% year over year.  edit : Oh VGChartz.  Dude, that site is completely fake, not one bit of actual good info there.  Look to NPD and Media Create charts for real data.  Wii is plummeting, at least before the price drop, we'll soon see how that turned out.  edit 2 : I might add, Wii is down 50% year over year for over 6 months now. "
    That is worldwide.  It still an exaggeration to call it plummeting.  It still sells more than the 360 and time will tell what happens to the PS3 sales.
    Those numbers aren't worldwide or anything though.  They're VGChartz fabrications.  Maybe a 50% drop with no bounce back isn't plummeting, they plummeted and then have been pretty steady for a while now.  Still the point is it reflects a change in market demographics, probably because of the recession.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure

I really think there are just to many games out there. While I admittedly don't keep track of all the "z" games I know they just have quite a few series on the DS for that younger audience and as many people have said in tough economic times those aren't the kind of people that will keep buying games. Those games not selling doesn't surprise me in the least.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By neoepoch

It's not that the market is in decline. It's that people are wising up and have stopped buying crap whose name begins with an organism and ends with a "z". And within a recession, people who are relatively new at playing games (especially those brought in by the Wii and DS) are going to cool it on the game buying because they don't have the interest and investment in it like the people who have been playing games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @Diamond said:
    " @oldschool said:
    Where'd you get that chart, because it's not at all accurate.  I'm talking US & Japanese numbers, not UK or other EU regions.  Wii is down 50% year over year.  edit : Oh VGChartz.  Dude, that site is completely fake, not one bit of actual good info there.  Look to NPD and Media Create charts for real data.  Wii is plummeting, at least before the price drop, we'll soon see how that turned out.  edit 2 : I might add, Wii is down 50% year over year for over 6 months now. "
    Those numbers aren't worldwide or anything though.  They're VGChartz fabrications.  Maybe a 50% drop with no bounce back isn't plummeting, they plummeted and then have been pretty steady for a while now.  Still the point is it reflects a change in market demographics, probably because of the recession. "
    Arguing over the value of VGChartz isn't productive, so I wont.  I do however believe they are in the general ball park, as truth in sales is a contentious and difficult. 

I think we are likely seeing a normalisation of sales.  Sure, they are down from the high, BUT WHAT A HIGH  ^_^   I think the numbers between consoles will stay much closer than they have (although I still think the PS3 will overtake the 360 eventually).
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " I really think there are just to many games out there. While I admittedly don't keep track of all the "z" games I know they just have quite a few series on the DS for that younger audience and as many people have said in tough economic times those aren't the kind of people that will keep buying games. Those games not selling doesn't surprise me in the least. "
    In a sense that others saw a market Ubisoft were eating up, and then decided they wanted a share, means the market is oversupplied, saturated with fairly ordinary games.  They need a new direction to re-engage these kids.  Even some of the younger ones coming up to replace those who grow older, may be just playing their brother/sister's games and reduce demand for new. 

@neoepoch said:
    " It's not that the market is in decline. It's that people are wising up and have stopped buying crap whose name begins with an organism and ends with a "z". And within a recession, people who are relatively new at playing games (especially those brought in by the Wii and DS) are going to cool it on the game buying because they don't have the interest and investment in it like the people who have been playing games. "
    When I see real data that the DS market is in decline, I agree.  More traditional games are most likely still selling well.  Ubisoft is Ubisoft's worst enemy.
    jj984jj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By jj984jj

VGChartz is a complete fabrication, it was made a person who believed he could estimate how much a game sold better than official trackers. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @jj984jj said:
    " VGChartz is a complete fabrication, it was made a person who believed he could estimate how much a game sold better than official trackers.  "
    I did say I won't argue the point on that. If you believe that, fair enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.