Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

The peripherals we want and the peripherals we deserve

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

So one of the the main things I've heard, since the Switch's announcement trailer, is the possibility of a whole shit ton of peripherals. With the detachable joy-cons there could easily be a bunch of different controller options implemented.

The one I could actually see myself getting is a left joy-con with a d-pad. I have a huge gap in my gaming history of SNES games. I've been thinking about picking up a 3DS or Wii U to fill this gap, but the Switch looks cool, and I really want to play the new Zelda, so unless the price point is too high I will be waiting for it's release. But I don't want to play classic Nintendo games with a joy stick or face buttons instead of a d-pad. A d-pad option seems pretty obvious to me.

I'm sure if Nintendo opens the flood gates there will be plenty of bad options as well though-fishing rod comeback?. Are there any you can see being obvious? Good or bad.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been racking my brain trying to find something else. I think you got the best use case for the detachable joycon peripheral.

I actually thought it meant more about peripherals for home use. But even so I am drawing a blank outside of usual suspects like guitar hero guitars or reusing a wii motion bar.

Maybe a handle so you can do this? I dunno...

Loading Video...

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It has to be a Joy-con replacement? I would like if I could use my Wii U gamepad with it or have some other kind of optional second screen. It could truely give this thing the potential of being the "Everything Nintendo Ever" machine without bringing up the price of the stock device.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I dont know if it would be a GOOD idea or not but they could do one side of the Joy-con that swivels like the old NeGcon did.

Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to guess that there'll eventually be something to connect Gamecube controllers to it. At least if a Smash game gets released for the Switch. I'm not at all in tune with the Smash community but I assume GC controllers are still the preferred way to play.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

What if we get a giant helmet to place the Switch into and turn it into the dumbest looking VR headset yet.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It would be nice if there were a "Duke" size set of Joycons. Maybe, this theoretical Duke would have a d-pad, larger buttons, and nicer analogue sticks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb: @an_ancient:Doesn't have to be a play on the joy-con. That was just my idea for one that would be nice to have.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By berniesbc

The dpad joy con was my first thought when the bombcast guys were talking about the lack of a dpad. I would also love to be able to use my wii u gamepad. It's actually nice to be able to sit in the living room with my girlfriend half paying attention to tv while playing virtual console games.

Edit: they should also make enormous snap on steel battalion joy cons.

Joy con is a very good name.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Don't know if this is anything but here's an idea: amiibo boy-cons. You control the game by moving your amiibo around in front of your Switch on a boy-mat a la Eye of Judgment.

Kharnivore2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Kharnivore2099

Maybe some kind of cup holder for a beer or a coffee? Just in case anyone ever decides to take it out of their home.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.