Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Should I Get a DK2 or wait for their next update?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I finally have enough disposable income to feel comfortable getting an Oculus. I'm not just buying it to play games; I want to tool around with it as well.

My question is if I should wait for their next kit. It's anyone's guess when that (whatever it is) would release, but I'm wondering if those of you with a DK2 can testify to its quality (good or bad).

$350 isn't the biggest amount of money for me, but if the current kit isn't so hot then maybe I'd wanna wait a bit.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ch3burashka

Unless you're a dev, hold off until they're commercial.

It's technically your money and time, but I don't see the point of getting one at this point in time.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The Tested guys actually were very opposed to consumers getting them. When consumers order them, they have to produce dev kits for people who aren't helping to advance the software and so it takes time and kits from devs who are. I'd say just wait. They've already shown off the next iteration a few weeks ago to media and devs so it's just not worth the investment right now.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: Yeah I saw that reveal. Think it was a month or so ago. Still, though, it could be a long way from release.

@ch3burashka Responding to both of you here: I'm not sure I'd call myself a dev, as that's not my full time job, but I do produce content regularly and half the reason I want it is to jump into Unity and make a fun tech demo. I guess my real concern is if the DK2's quality is worth it. Like: is it made well, how do you like the screen in the DK2, have you had any issues with upkeep/maintenance, how is it in long play sessions comfort-wise?

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By chilibean_3

@mbradley1992 said:

The Tested guys actually were very opposed to consumers getting them. When consumers order them, they have to produce dev kits for people who aren't helping to advance the software and so it takes time and kits from devs who are. I'd say just wait. They've already shown off the next iteration a few weeks ago to media and devs so it's just not worth the investment right now.

Yet they have some for themselves. Cool. Cool.

I ask myself this question all the time. Every once in a while I get real close to ordering one but end up backing off. I'm at least going to wait until the next version though. The commercial version doesn't look like it is coming any time soon.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By development

@chilibean_3: I think this is where I'm gonna fall unless I'm convinced otherwise. This version has been out for long enough that it feels like a bad move to order one unless I need it for something. I'd hate to order one and find out the next version's being released in a few months. I'd rather get the new one near its release so I can at least feel like I'm not being reckless with my money.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There wont be a DK3.

I have the dk1 and been tempted for months to get the dk2 and tonight I just orderd the dk2 and a leap motion :D

Once my DK 2 comes I will probably stick the DK1 on ebay as it looks like they are selling for not bad prices on there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.