Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

Am I The Aimed Audience?

BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BlackIrish05

OnLive for me is huge. I still haven't got in, but I am really excited too. The reason I never got into PC gaming was the money. I never wanted to invest in something that much when I could play on a console. But now, I don't need an amazing computer. So, am I I the audience they are aiming for? And if so, is it really a big one?

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kishan6

well do u have good internet? 
    one important thing however is that they dont have this game... yet 

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By BunkerBuster

Onlive's target demographic are stupid people so no I would not say you are their core demographic.

Now there is always a chance it could get better but right now its $192.00 for the service with full retail game prices. Zero compatibility with Xbox Live or PSN. No guarantee of higher resolutions than what they use (480p?). No guarantee or it even existing past this year. So the best advice is just to take it with a grain of salt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@BunkerBuster said:
    " Onlive's target demographic are stupid people so no I would not say you are their core demographic. 
    Well, his avatar is Raiden... 
    jk
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Gmanall

Its 720 and it is in theory a great idea being able to play on a cruddy computer high-end games and then be able to take those across platforms(With the soon to be released Ipad app)    

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By newt

PC gaming is already cheaper than console gaming..  I don't see the appeal of this service at all.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By BunkerBuster

I do love the idea of strapping $300 dollars worth of peripherals to an iPad to play Starcraft 2. It's times like this where I hate myself for not knowing Photoshop.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By zonerover

If you've got fast internet and no internet caps, then that's a goodstart. However, keep in mind that even if you supposedly buy an OnLive game that at a certain date (I think most games are around 2013), they have the right to stop providing service to you for those games. While Xbox Live also has this clause, they only really shut down the original Xbox game support this year. Whether OnLive have included that as a legal clause or something they are actually going to do is yet to be seen.

Add on top that you need a consistent 3MB to 5MB connection to maintain a standard def experience (I know they've claimed the lower end of the spectrum, but in the real world that's what I hear people are saying) and the subtle lag in the experience, and I think that OnLive is not a good alternative to actually having the game. Oh yeah, and you need to a subsciption just to access the service! At the moment its free, but in a year's time that's going to chance. If you really want to play a PC game without a good PC, then the only suggestion I would back is getting the console equivalent.

In a similar way to how Microsoft were pioneering tablets for years but it took Apple only one attempt to make their tablet (the iPad) a success, I have a feeling that OnLive will be looked back on in a similar manner - as an interesting technology that is sadly ahead of its time. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

If it's a multiplatform game then the console version will always be superior to the OnLive version in many ways (graphics, control, not using excessive bandwidth, not having the game revoked, not paying yearly subscriptions).

If it's a PC-only title that actually appears on OnLive (a few will), it may be worth it.  You don't need to spend much to have a better PC than what OnLive will stream.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Jedted

My only gripe with Onlive(besides paying full price for games on top of the subscription) is that you have no claim to your save files.  It would nice if after playing a game on Onlive i decide to buy it on Steam i could keep my save and use it with the Steam version. 

I believe that the service has potential but like zonerover said, it's just slightly ahead of it's time.  With everything Microsoft has done moving toward digital distribution on XBL then maybe if the future they'll start their own video-game-streaming service.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

I like to physically own my games for the most part, so I would never get OnLive. It feels wierd getting downloadable games, let alone paying for that service.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.