Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

First time computer builder

Computer123guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Computer123guy

Hi it's my first time building a computer and I am from New Zealand so that power supply can be considered. Well anyway Here is what I have so far.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Case with SuperSpeed USB 3.0 - (RC-932-KKN5-GP)

MotherBoard: My mobo is out of stock recomendations please consider the other components I have here.

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

GRAPHICS CARD:

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI-I/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P3-1570-AR

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-850TXV2

Optical drive : Already have a near new Dvd/Cd reader/Burner still suggestions are welcome.

What I want my PC to do:

Be able to run the latest online and off line high tech games for example Skyrim (coming out in 11.11.11) on the MAX settings.

Be able to convert inbetween video formats fairly quickly.

Now here are my questions.

1.Is this everything I need to be able to make a PC? If not what else do I need?

2.Any components you think I could replace for better suited ones?

3. Would it overheat?

4. How much noise would the computer make?

5. Are all the components compatible with each other?

6. Do you think I need more RAM if so how much more RAM could I add and would it be able to fit?

7.Do you think I need a Sound card/ Net work card

8.Any other things you think I should know.

Thanks a lot guys answer as many questions as you can.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

You're missing a power supply (PSU). And an optic drive. And an OS. 

I'm guessing you're just listing the parts you don't already have, but it'd be helpful if you could list every part of the PC.

Computer123guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Computer123guy

I've always brought pre built PC's and sorry if I missed out something I'm not really that tech savvy.

for a PSU I have no idea, any recommendations?

optic drive, is that the place where you insert DVD's' and cd's (sorry if I sound really dumb :P) if so I have one but am open to recommendations for a new one.

OS, I was think about Windows 7 64 bit Premium but am not sure.

if I did miss something it probably wasn't on purpose so sorry.

Remember all the parts I have listed a open to be changed.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By squirrelnacho

A gtx 570 is not enough to max out all of the newest games on 1920x1080 and still get 60 fps. Even a single 580 is not really enough for some games. It might be enough for for elder scrolls 5, have they released the system requirements yet? What resolution are you using?

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Eurobum

3. Overheat? Not if you attach heat sinks as advised in the manual and hook up fans correctly.
    4. Noise? It will make a lot of noise when running games, less when it is idle.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us.asp?Model=P67%20Extreme4
    I'm sure you don't need a board with triple SLI support, there may be cheaper boards out there.  Also the 3.0 USB panel that comes with main board appears to be superfluous, since the case already has 3.0 plug. Firewire and eSATA can probably be scrapped as well, unless you have devices that connect that way. I'd recommend downloading the mainboard manual and trying to read before you select a board, it will be your guide to building.

For PSU you need something from a good brand around 650-800 Watts max, (rule of thumb twice as high as the sum TDP of all components, highest being GPU+CPU )

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By RadixNegative2
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bybeach

Running 2 570's in sli will help, i suggest a 800 watt minimum PSu. Mine is a 1000 watt gold. Suggest 2 optical drives, but skip the blueray unless you really want it. Blueray is not proving itself to be a must have. I have a MB capable of Triple SLi, and though the price diff for MB's was just a hundred or so, It is debatable that I'll get a third card. Those EVGA superclocked 570's are 349.00 at Newwgg, not much of a price drop for me. Also taking advantage of triple channel seemed more efficient, though it was not entirely clear to me why. So I am running 6 gb in triple channel config.

Buy an aftermarket cooler for the cpu, the liquid cooled by corsair are actually easy to install if you pay attention.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cronus42

A few things from me:

1. Go with the 2500k. The 2600k is 100 dollars more and in all honesty you're not going to use the hyper threading at all. 4 cores is more than enough for 99% of what the world does with computers.

2. I have that motherboard and it is a monster for the price. Since you're looking at the K series processor I'm guessing you're thinking about overclocking, well this makes it super easy. It has a bunch of voltage presets that they have worked out up to 5.5 GHz to make it 100% stable. I have my 2500k at 5GHz from day one and I've never had a problem. Also it gives the ability to add a second graphics card somewhere down the road.

3. If you are actually thinking about overclocking, you're going to want a better heat sink. Whether you go with an air cooling option or an all in one corsair liquid cooling thing is up to you.

4. Graphics card will work fine, it will probably run skyrim buttery smooth, BF3 is all that you would really have problems with on ultra. That being said, my two cents would be either go down one and get the 560Ti or up and get the 580. That only comes from the part of me that got screwed with the last set of cards. I have a 470, which is no longer manufactured, so now that I'm looking for a second one they are like $400 new, which is double what i first paid. The 460 and the 480 are both still in production however. I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA did a similar thing with the 500 series once the 600 series is released. If you absolutely aren't looking to add a second one someday don't worry about it, but still something to keep in mind. Also, i would suggest the MSI Twin Frozr variant of the card, they stay really cool, and look pretty neat if you're in to that.

5. Power supply, pretty simple, go with something high quality, a cheap bad one can ruin you're whole system. In terms if wattage, 650 if you don't plan on adding the second graphics card, 800 if you think you like the SLI idea down the road.

6. In terms of ram, 8gb is plenty. If anything a 1600MHz ram set would be all that i would go up to, but what you have is absolutely fine.

You shouldn't have any overheating problems, and yea noise can get up there when its running a high demand game, but otherwise it wont be bad.

Computer123guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Computer123guy

Yeah I am a bit confused over wether I should use a Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 or a Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155.

Does I7-2600k have any real advantages over I5-2500k?

I 'm not too sure what K series does, a friend of mine told me it had something to do with overclocking....?

And For PSU I'm thinking either a Corsair TX650 or a HX1050 with a 2nd GTX 670 if required.

Can my case hold a case fan? Do you think I'll need a case fan? or should I go with liquid cooling?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

@Computer123guy said:

Yeah I am a bit confused over wether I should use a Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 or a Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155.

I 'm not too sure what K series does, a friend of mine told me it had something to do with overclocking....?

The i7 has hyperthreading, which helps with multi-threaded applications like video and audio compiling and such. You're probably better off with the i5 unless you do a lot of work with audio or video.

And for a PSU go for an Antec or a OCZ or another high quality brand, you don't want to skimp there.

And for the Optical Drive just get any old piece of shit DVD it's not like you'll ever use it.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cronus42

The difference is the hyper-threading really. This splits the 4 cores of the 2500K into 8 half powered cores on the 2600K. As neat and great as it sounds, its going to be quite some time before games start coming out that can take advantage of that many cores. The GHz difference means nothing because they are both limited to the same speeds, so with the overclocking that extra .1 GHZ stock is just fluff Intel adds to make it seem better. The extra 2MB cache is really the only significant difference, and that is not worth $100 IMO.

The K modifier allows you to overclock you processor, aka make it faster. With the motherboard you're looking at overclocking it's super easy and risk free as long as you have a good cooler for your CPU. Just giving it a boost to 4GHz is a huge difference and very very safe with the sandy bridge cores. Also the minimal price difference between the K an non-K series makes it a pretty easy choice to just get the K series.

Computer123guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Computer123guy

Alright sound like good advise, I'll replace I7-2600k with I5-2500k.

Thanks Cronus I'll go for the K series.

@AlexW00d said:

@Computer123guy said:

The i7 has hyperthreading, which helps with multi-threaded applications like video and audio compiling and such. You're probably better off with the i5 unless you do a lot of work with audio or video.

And for a PSU go for an Antec or a OCZ or another high quality brand, you don't want to skimp there.

And for the Optical Drive just get any old piece of shit DVD it's not like you'll ever use it.

How about Corsair TX650?

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I do computers for a living and don't want to work from home, so I'll be brief and try to say something that others haven't. It seems like you're recieved answers to just about everything after reading through these here posts. Just to add two, three very simplistic things that people tend to forget, make sure the case is big enough. From the sound of it, these parts will accumulate to a gargantuan size. Get a fan as opposed to cooling, your case should handle it.

And finally, network card and sound-card, I see neither of them mentioned in your build, and they are essential to playing games, yet can be found almost alarmingly cheap. Never go for on-board if you want any kind of quality. Sound-card in particular, you can pick one up that was stellar 5 years ago, and used it for another 5. Same reason why an old stereo still sounds good. Network card.. You do want to play games online, don't you? DON'T YOU?!

All in all, decent build you've got there. Get a PSU with at least 650 watt, but 800 is a better estimate. And be sure to GET SOMETHING OF QUALITY! This is of the essence! Most graphic cards and motherboards get fried due to electrical surges that aren't properly handled by the PSU. This is a bad thing. Let's say a breaker in your house goes and you've got a power-supply ain't sure how to handle the sudden cease of electricity and simply shuts itself down, leaving the current unattended; you need a new GFX. Now, no reason to be paranoid, just don't skimp on it. I'd suggest asking in your local computer shop for what they recommend. Also, really cheap RAM, it's tempting, but also a no-no.

Aslo, get a floppy-drive if you can (trust me on this, they can be essential for repairing a broken OS), and I'd suggest a DVD-Player/Burner. They can be useful. Say you ever want to boot an OS from a cd, you'd enjoy having a quick one, and they are cheap these days. Blueray player? Just get a bloody PS3 and pick up Dark Souls and Heavy rain while you're at it.

If you have any other questions; here is ALL you need to know.

And may I just say, welcome to our proud ranks.
    Computer123guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Computer123guy

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

I do computers for a living and don't want to work from home, so I'll be brief and try to say something that others haven't. It seems like you're recieved answers to just about everything after reading through these here posts. Just to add two, three very simplistic things that people tend to forget, make sure the case is big enough. From the sound of it, these parts will accumulate to a gargantuan size. Get a fan as opposed to cooling, your case should handle it.

And finally, network card and sound-card, I see neither of them mentioned in your build, and they are essential to playing games, yet can be found almost alarmingly cheap. Never go for on-board if you want any kind of quality. Sound-card in particular, you can pick one up that was stellar 5 years ago, and used it for another 5. Same reason why an old stereo still sounds good. Network card.. You do want to play games online, don't you? DON'T YOU?!

All in all, decent build you've got there. Get a PSU with at least 650 watt, but 800 is a better estimate. And be sure to GET SOMETHING OF QUALITY! This is of the essence! Most graphic cards and motherboards get fried due to electrical surges that aren't properly handled by the PSU. This is a bad thing. Let's say a breaker in your house goes and you've got a power-supply ain't sure how to handle the sudden cease of electricity and simply shuts itself down, leaving the current unattended; you need a new GFX. Now, no reason to be paranoid, just don't skimp on it. I'd suggest asking in your local computer shop for what they recommend. Also, really cheap RAM, it's tempting, but also a no-no.

Aslo, get a floppy-drive if you can (trust me on this, they can be essential for repairing a broken OS), and I'd suggest a DVD-Player/Burner. They can be useful. Say you ever want to boot an OS from a cd, you'd enjoy having a quick one, and they are cheap these days. Blueray player? Just get a bloody PS3 and pick up Dark Souls and Heavy rain while you're at it.

If you have any other questions; here is ALL you need to know.

Thank for for you very warm Welcome with a picture of a toilet :P

For your first point, Do you think a Full Tower case is big enough?

I googled what a network card is I didn't really find out, all I think I found out is most motherboards come with them .

As for soundcard could you give a specific recommdation?

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eurobum

Seriously forget about multiple GPU cards, at least for your first build.  These things are for (more-money-than-sense) enthusiasts, they require from-the-ground-up planning. MY go-to PC sites always advise against them for a multitude of reasons.
    In 6 months or even sooner we might have the next AMD generation (28nm) of video cards, doubling up on 40nm current cards will be completely wasteful option by then, when you could just replace your card for a much more power efficient one.

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By misterhaan

i've been building my own computers since the 486 was the latest processor you could get and started using onboard lan (network card) as soon as it was available -- never a problem, unless you count ubuntu linux loading the wrong driver for my latest onboard lan. i started using onboard audio when it reached the capabilities of my soundblaster live card (this was a little before they started putting optical connectors on motherboards) and have been perfectly happy with that. i actually tried a soundblaster audigy but returned it because of no linux support.

not that you were considering this, but the core i chips all include video. for gaming, i wouldn't trust them at all and would go with either an nvidia or ati card. i find that i can get a better value by staying back a generation with nvidia cards (i'm currently running a 460) but if you have the money to burn a 570 should be better than a 460. just make sure that second digit is at least 6.

here's my opinion on the brands you've picked out:

• cooler master: i've used their cpu fans long ago (pentium, pentium ii) and they were fine, and again recently which is even better. i don't have any recent experience with their power supplies. there are a number of good brands for psu though and this is probably one of them.
    • asrock: never bought from them and don't know much about them. i have been running gigabyte boards for my last 5 or so builds.
    • intel: i've always run intel chips, and i think i5 makes the most sense for the i3 / i5 / i7 generation. i never overclock but i definitely recommend a good aftermarket cpu fan instead of the one that comes with the chip. my core 2 quad system would overheat and crash during some games until i replaced the intel cpu fan with a cooler master.
    • corsair: i've considered corsair but it seems g.skill is better at having what i'm looking for available on newegg. i would try to go with a higher speed for ram, but that may not be an up-to-date recommendation anymore. i'm running 2x4gig of pc3 2133 instead of the 2x4gig of pc3 1333 -- i would at least go 1600 and make sure the motherboard supports it.
    • western digital: i've been using western digital drives exclusively since way back when i bought a 30-gig drive and opened the box to a note that said surprise this is actually a 40-gig drive! i'm running a 150-gig velociraptor right now which doesn't seem as fast as i had hoped, but the reliability has been good on the myriad of wd drives i've used.
    • evga: my latest 3 cards have been evga and i've been very happy with them.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AlexW00d said:

The blasphemy... It burns..
    Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zelyre

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/B004MYFODS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318998435&sr=8-2

I'd recommend that for your power supply. Corsair uses Seasonic power supplies, and I've sworn by those for years.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200?Icid=Student_HUB_4up_Windows

It used to be $29.99... Still, money saved is money saved.

I too, recommend not spending money on an optical drive. I installed Win7 over USB. The only times I've ever used the blu-ray drive on my gaming PC was to rip Blu-rays to reencode for my media center.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By crusader8463

Since I'm sure it will be said already by people who know what they are talking about I won't bother going into specs and hardware. I will however, give you some advice on something that always gets over looked in these threads. If you can spare it invest in a comfortable mouse, mouse pad, headphones, keyboard, and for the love of all that is unholy find the money to buy a good chair to sit in. Outside of video cards and processors the chair is the most important part of any PC and is something that gets over looked so often. If you are not comfortable sitting at your PC you won't want to use it for long.

Computer123guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Computer123guy

@Zelyre said:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/B004MYFODS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318998435&sr=8-2

I'd recommend that for your power supply. Corsair uses Seasonic power supplies, and I've sworn by those for years.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200?Icid=Student_HUB_4up_Windows

It used to be $29.99... Still, money saved is money saved.

I too, recommend not spending money on an optical drive. I installed Win7 over USB. The only times I've ever used the blu-ray drive on my gaming PC was to rip Blu-rays to reencode for my media center.

The powersupply calculator I used says I need 650 watts, but I guess your right buying a 850 watt to make room for expansion.

My mobo has gone out of stock, any suggestions?

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Eurobum

@Computer123guy said:

The powersupply calculator I used says I need 650 watts, but I guess your right buying a 850 watt to make room for expansion.

Power supplies use their peak efficiency at about half the max. Watt-age, they are very inefficient at low and high loads, also if you reach almost max wattage, they run hotter and ramp up the rotations per minute of the PSU fan. So yeah there is a plenty of headroom with a 650W PSU because you aim at half when calculating, bigger isn't better. Also that ASUS calculator is kind of stupid it just adds 50W for every five components ;D, you are better off researching the TDP of CPU+GPU.

No Caption Provided

The colours just indicate the regional power grid differences.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Bollard

@squirrelnacho said:

A gtx 570 is not enough to max out all of the newest games on 1920x1080 and still get 60 fps. Even a single 580 is not really enough for some games. It might be enough for for elder scrolls 5, have they released the system requirements yet? What resolution are you using?

ES:V is a console port, I should think a 560Ti will max it. Other games however, maybe not so much.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexW00d

@AhmadMetallic said:

@AlexW00d said:

The blasphemy... It burns..

I never use mine man, except for the few games I buy retail due to price. My DVD drive cost £12.

Computer123guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Computer123guy

@@Eurobum said:

@Computer123guy said:

Power supplies use their peak efficiency at about half the max. Watt-age, they are very inefficient at low and high loads, also if you reach almost max wattage, they run hotter and ramp up the rotations per minute of the PSU fan. So yeah there is a plenty of headroom with a 650W PSU because you aim at half when calculating, bigger isn't better. Also that ASUS calculator is kind of stupid it just adds 50W for every five components ;D, you are better off researching the TDP of CPU+GPU.

No Caption Provided

The colours just indicate the regional power grid differences.

Thank you, this is a very useful graph, My power grid supplies 230 Volts of AC so I guess I am better off than the green or red.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By CrimsonNoir

Just get any old DVD drive that has a solid ratings from their retailer, don't spend too much on it cause you're really not going to use it much like everyone said. Fans should be enough for cooling, since I doubt you'd bother overclocking. Liquid cooling is great for noise reduction and cooling, but it also seems like a lot more work and something for more hardcore enthusiast. As for the network card and soundcard, I never had problems with the onboard ones found on my motherboards. So save your money cause I doubt you'll notice a difference.  

Give this a watch of Jeff's build. It should give you some pointers about pc building and advice on what you need. 
    http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-build-a-future-proof-1500-gaming-pc/2003/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.