Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Future of the CPU

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By essaregee

So, Ive recently was building (yet another) i7 machine for a friend of mine, and that got me thinking.  
    He wanted to get the extreme, but I told him that that was overkill and that there is no need to spend that much when he could get similar results with an overclocked 920, well anyway, back on topic. 

I was thinking what the future of the CPU holds. 
    The  socket 1366 is relatively young, and has had a fare share of processors, but I wonder how Intel will further development. 
    For example, the Tukwila (Itanium), it has been confirmed but the details are all very hush-hush.  
    I wonder, will the Tukwila still use the 1336 socket or come up with something else? 
    Intel has revieled a new socket; the 1567, but that uses the Xeon processors, and I wonder if that will have any effect on the consumer market? 

AMD has done relatively the same thing. They have some new tech going up (hopefully) soon, the fusion. They also have have new sockets announced FS1 and the G34. Also, it is interesting how the G34 has 1974 pins, which is more than 400 pins more than the 1336 socket. 

So, what do you think?

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Regal

I don't know about the short term specifics about the sockets or specifications on upcoming processors, but I do like to read from engineers at these big companies and what they think of.  

I like this blog  http://blogs.intel.com/research/    They often talk about moors law and other things you'd expect, and I see they have already begun the early stages of marketing for their future "thousand(s) core chip" CPU's. Mostly to business people and so forth. Now that  and it's implications is something worth thinking about when it comes to the future of CPU. As for the stuff you mention, meh, not my cup of tea.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.