Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I have a Windows XP service pack 3 version 2002

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

so can i play game like mass effect 2 or do i have to upgrade

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By myke_tuna

Most games still support Windows XP SP3. I think they will for a while. You should be good for another year though, guaranteed. And yes, Mass Effect 2 works. I played it for 41 hours with no problems.

Of course, that's if everything else on your computer is up for running Mass Effect 2.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @myketuna: the demo does not work, whey i try to start it up i get an error message everytime
    BlueStriped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BlueStriped

is your video card supported?

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By EliasT

This guy is either a troll or really illiterate with PCs, figure out your specs by going into device manager and finding what parts are in your PC, you probably have a single core CPU and integrated graphics if you're talking so immidiately about buying a PC.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @EliasT: i am not a troll
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

We need to know your PC specs to assist you further...

But, I'm guessing that you either have an out-dated video card or are trying to run the game on a laptop that is not strong enough to handle the game.

infamous021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By infamous021

Goto Run.
    type in DxDiag
    tell us some of the basic information.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @OllyOxenFree:  
    - intel
    - Pertium (R) D CPU 2.80 GHz
    -2.79 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By EliasT
    @stoodspoon said:
    " @OllyOxenFree:  - intel- Pertium (R) D CPU 2.80 GHz-2.79 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM "
    Not helping, we need your graphics chip. But I'm pretty sure you already cannot play the game because you only have 1gb of RAM and a single core processor.
    infamous021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By infamous021
    @stoodspoon said:

" @OllyOxenFree:  - intel- Pertium (R) D CPU 2.80 GHz-2.79 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM "

Yeah you don't have the specs to run that game dude. I'm guessing you have an integrated graphics chip along with that so you can't even play games that were made in the last couple years.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ISuperGamerI

You should upgrade your computer and you can find out your GPU (which is most likely integrated) by going into System Information -> Hardware -> Display.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @infamous021: i can play deus ex 
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @stoodspoon said:

" @infamous021: i can play deus ex  "

A game made 10 years ago. 
    Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @The_Laughing_Man: what upgrades do you recommend 
    BlueStriped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlueStriped

Your computer doesn't meet the requirements so it wont run, deus ex is a pretty old game any new computer can run that game on max settings also mass effect 2 demands a bit more then is required from dues x

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @stoodspoon said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: what upgrades do you recommend  "
    Might be time to get a new computer. 
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @stoodspoon said:

" @infamous021: i can play deus ex  "

A game made 10 years ago.  "
    Check the specs bro, his computer is a beast.

• Windows 95/98/Me/XP
    • Pentium 300 (Min.), Pentium 450 (Rec.)
    • 4x CD-ROM drive
    • 64 MB RAM (Min.), 128 MB (Rec.)
    • 8MB DirectX 7.0a compatiable 3D graphics card (Min.)
    • DirectX 7.0a compatible sound card
    • 150 MB hard drive space (Min.)
    Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @ISuperGamerI: What upgrades do i need to play recent games well
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Juvarial
    @stoodspoon: Get someone at Dell to help you. I think you might be beyond help from GB.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Juvarial said:

" @stoodspoon: Get someone at Dell to help you. I think you might be beyond help from GB. "

Sadly, I have to agree.  It seems that upgrading a PC would be too daunting of a task for you from what I am seeing.  Either buy a new PC from Best Buy or get somebody to physically help you to build one.

Also, it seems you are new to forums as well.  You don't have to create a new thread to ask another question that is related to the current topic.  Just stick with this thread.
    infamous021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By infamous021
    @stoodspoon said:
    " @ISuperGamerI: What upgrades do i need to play recent games well "
    Google up stuff about computer parts and what the current standards are. Then build yourself a computer once you think you're ready. Theres a video over at tested.com that shows you how to make one.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By toowalrus
    @stoodspoon said:
    " @myketuna: the demo does not work, whey i try to start it up i get an error message everytime "
    Hey, if the demo doesn't work, the full game isn't going to work ether.
    Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @infamous021:  i am 16 and my parents don't want to be to expensive
    Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Castro

Unfortunately, it seems like you'll need to get a new processor, which means that you'll need to get a new motherboard and new memory. You'll definitely need a new video card and I'm assuming that you'll probably need a new hard drive. As old as yours is, you should buy a new one anyway. I would assume that you'll need a new power supply as well. So yeah, you aren't going to be ok with merely upgrading. The good news is that building a PC is SUPER-EASY!!!!

@OllyOxenFree said:
      It seems that upgrading a PC would be too daunting of a task for you from what I am seeing. 
    Hilarious!
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Castro said:

"@OllyOxenFree said:

It seems that upgrading a PC would be too daunting of a task for you from what I am seeing. 

Hilarious! "
    I don't really find the humor in my comment.  You don't know how tech-savvy the OP is to building his own PC.  From reading the OP's other posts it'd seems like he'd have some trouble/headaches along the road of doing so.  So, for his best interests, I'd just recommend him getting somebody else to help him or just buy a pre-built one.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Imagine this, metaphorically you are running an old car that isn't powerful. You want to race on new tracks (new games) and you think you can just upgrade it. Well you sort of can't because they don't make those parts for your pc anymore, I mean one core cpu? Your using an AGP card as you said in another thread, that's an outdated type of engine that's not common anymore. I think there is one AGP card out there, that might be an option. Something like a hd5450 that's agp. Everyone uses a newer slot called pci express, there is a 2.0 version out now. So you have to buy a new car, there aren't that many old upgrade parts for your machine anymore and it's cheaper just to get a cheap pc and upgrade from there like buying something out of the junk yard (computer from a store) then upgrading it to yourself, which requires a bit of technical knowledge of a mechanic.

Look what i'm saying is, your pc is really old and not fast at all. It's not going to work, you aren't going to be able to play games well, so put a bullet in old yeller and move onto a new pc then upgrade it to play games. You want a decent videocard which will get you graphics and framerates, maybe a HD5770, GTX460. You need a good cpu that won't bottleneck the framerates, what you are using will. Even if you got a new videocard with that, if it even fits your pc, it won't run games the way it should because it's like using a big engine and a small muffler. Then you need more power for your power watt supply. Pc gaming isn't cheap btw, it's an investment.

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Juvarial
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    " @Castro said:

"@OllyOxenFree said:

Hilarious! "
    I don't really find the humor in my comment.  You don't know how tech-savvy the OP is to building his own PC.  From reading the OP's other posts it'd seems like he'd have some trouble/headaches along the road of doing so.  So, for his best interests, I'd just recommend him getting somebody else to help him or just buy a pre-built one. "
    If he has trouble finding his system specs then I think he would have trouble putting a stick of RAM in. Honestly getting down and dirty with expensive PC parts isnt for everyone. Even picking out what PC parts you want or need is VERY challenging for some and simply fun for others.  
    He is best off getting a pre made. Something tells me all the tutorials in the world wont help him.  
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Juvarial
    @HitmanAgent47: Well written, well said.  
    Id say if you want to get a good PC without breaking the budget pick up a Phenom Quad Core, Cheap Assed AM2+ DDR2 Mobo with a single PCIe and grab a 4700 or GTX260. 
    If anyone wishes to bring out the old AMD vs Intel convo then blow me. AMD makes cheap processors that do the job, and generally do it marginally worse then the competition in real world situations.  
    If you can magically find an old Q6600 Model in the bargain bin then by all means grab it like NPH`s cock. With the consoles slowing down the need for high GFX the Nvidia 200 series or the 4700 Series. At this point 2.4 Ghz per core quad core + 200 series GFX or 4700 Series GFX + 4GB DDR should run anything.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Juvarial: I still think you shouldn't recommend older videocards like that, I said the HD5770 and GTX460, which is already near and above a gtx260. The reason why I recommend these newer cards are that it's cheap and you get directX 11 with it. Your right, AMD does give you more value, maybe for the op, that will save him money. You also want to have a higher Ghz processor if possible because as i've mentioned, it will bottleneck more powerful videocards. 2.4Ghz is a bit low, I say 2.6Ghz or higher is better. Even overclocking is better, yet it's not something the op will do. There are alot of cheap phenom quads out there that's at 3.0Ghz or 2.8Ghz which is a good choice since it's cheap these days.
    Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hats

yes to the HD5770
    you will need a new motherboard ram cpu go for an AMD if your just wanting to play games and DDR3 ram can be cheaper than DDR2 supply and demand etc

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Juvarial
    @HitmanAgent47: Im going bargan bin though. You can pick up one of the older Phenoms from 2.2-2.8 Ghz Per Core for like 50-100$.  
    As for going for the newer tier of videocards why the hell would you drop 500$ on a 5870 when the 4770 is 160$. I`m not talking what I would personally do, or what you SHOULD do. I am simply going with what you can do to build a PC that WORKS but isnt going to break any benchmarks. 
    From the sounds of it they want a PC thats can run stuff reasonably well and not cost over the 800-1000 mark.   
    Look at it this way, and I am going to steal your car method- Your kid wants a car - Do you get him a reliable used car thats pretty affordable and he can beat up a bit and mess around with - OR - Do you get him a Lotus? 

And if your wondering -  
    Phenom 9850 OCed - 3.6 GHz  STABLE 
    4 GB DDR2  
    Nvidia GTX260 SLI  

Yes I am due for an upgrade but honestly thats just for the fun of playing with new parts. I have absolutely no issues running a single thing.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Juvarial: Wait a minute, I said HD5770, not HD 5870, i'm only talking about a $159 upgrade, which the card is less powerful than a gtx260. I'm only suggesting a GTX460, which is only more powerful than a gtx275 for the 1gb version, which retails for $250. I'm not talking about a $400 or more for a videocard at all. Why use a 4770? I think you need to research your more recent videocards better and the benchmarks. Maybe you haven't kept up, your system doesn't really need an upgrade and you might not have done your reseach. However why should you not get a card that supports DX11 that supports tellsellation for newer games? 

If a HD 4770 cost $160 and a hd5770 which is way more powerful cost the same price, why go for older outdated junk that doesn't support DX11? The logic is undeniable if you done your research. Maybe someone else can back me up and explain it to him.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Juvarial
    @HitmanAgent47:  Yeah-I have not been really keeping up with videocards as since I SLIed the 2 GTX260s and got my SKUs wrong. My bad.
    Videocards have had way to many SKUs lately and nothing that has made my jaw drop so I need to research and upgrade.  Hell my friends SLIed 9600s still run circles around some people new cards.  
    As for the upgrade on my PC, I want to switch from the AM2+ socket to the AM3 Socket + processors and move into DDR3 RAM.      
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @stoodspoon:  Your probably better off with a whole new computer. Don't upgrade your current system, as your going to be wasting money.
      @Juvarial:  Are you talking about the original Phenom? There are plenty of much better options that are at the same price. You can get a good Phenom II tri core (doesn't sound like he needs a quad) for less than 100.
    Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @No0b0rAmA: any good cheap cpu parts at BestBuy to play games like Dragon Age?
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By groin

I think this stoodspoon character has fooled you all.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @stoodspoon: Best Buy doesn't sell any CPUs, at least in Canada. From what I've seen from your specs, you probably shouldn't invest any more money in that system. You defiantly should buy a new one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.