Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Ok, if I upgrade my GPU, can I run newish games on this PC?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I have a Intel Core Duo CPU E7400@2.80GHZ and my GPU is, I guess, a ATI Radeon HD 3450. I think, im not sure how to check for sure. It says that under Device manager and Display adapters. Also, I have 2 gbs of RAM. i know my GPU aint great. Really, the only games Ir eally wanna run on this thing is Warcraft looking and running good, The occasional Steam Sale games I might wanna get, and Old Republic and Star Craft 2 when they hit, and Also Oblvion and ahve it look better then it does on consoles.

drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By drakattack

yes. will run just fine. your computer isn't terrible but you need to make sure you don't spend more than 150 on a new card because your memory and cpu are gonna bottleneck you at a certain point. you should be able to run most games on high at 1024 resolution with that setup and a 150 dollar card. look at the radeon 5770 or 5750.

Also, don't see why you couldn't run those games right now on the machine you mentioned. would run just fine on medium or low settings on 1024.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @drakattack:

Should I maybe get more RAM? or is 2 gbs good? Also, I should say that this isnt MY computer, its the familys computer. So maybe my money will be better spent saving for a PC of my own that I can paly in my room. Realisticaly, how much does a pretty good PC that can run new stuff cost these days anyway and what would I maybe wanna get? im pretty sure it dosent cost 2,000 dollars like many people think.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword
    @drakattack:

Well, I tried DLing teh Bioshck 1 demo on Steam, and that thing barely loaded and chugged to hell and looked like ass. I think Star Craft 2 adn Old Republic are going to require jsut as much if not more then that game.
    drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By drakattack

just spent 1150 dollars on a new pc. just the tower, not including the monitor and keyboard/mice/speakers. It is pretty much top of the line everything. you can get away with 800-1000 if you use your old hard drive and dvd drive. otherwise expect 1000-1250 for a really awesome system. A mid level system could be done for 750

as far as bioshock clogging up your card. doesn't suprise me but sc2 and old republic do not take much gfx at all. the guys who made old republic said it will be on par with world of warcraft.  

I'll link my system here in a minute with prices for reference.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
    @Fragstoff:

Honestly, I dont think I really care that much which company since im not invested enough to really care about which company does X better. I just want something that can run the games and make it look and run good. Im mroe concerned with price more then anything.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword
    @Fragstoff:

Also, I dont know whats up, but I tried DLing the Half Life 2 Demo jsut to messa round with it, but it says itll take like 5 hours to download. That makes no sense since I have Verzion Fios, which is decent internet.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Also, keep in mind how much wattage your power supply can handle, don't want to go installing a 5970 on a 400 watt power supply and watch your computer blow up.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By bellmont42

even with 2gb ram you will notice a huge difference in performance with a new gpu.. and im pretty sure what you have will handle sc2 ;)

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bellmont42

the 9800gtx is now known as a gts 250... and no the radeon 5770 is not far behind a 4890 and is comparable to the gtx 260 not the 9800 gtx... at the moment a 5770 is the best bang for your buck if youre on a budget at ~ $150-160

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bobdaman18

I have 4 gigs of ram, e8400 (which is 3ghz), and an 8800gt.  I have yet to run into anything that i cannot run on at least medium settings with no problem.  If you up your ram to 4 and get something like the 9800 gts you should be good for a while.  Graphics war seems to have slowed down because of the longer console cycle.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

upgrade the ram to 4gb, if your using vista it makes a big difference.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

You might want to think about you're own build if you really want to get into it. But for now, a little extra ram, a cheapish gpu, and a decent power supply for the gpu will get you rolling nicely.

@drakattack: You should list what you got there. New computer parts are the best.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ravensword
    @wolf_blitzer85:

Yeah, but i need to rearrange some stuff to see even if I have enough room for a Desk and Computer, because my Room aint that big.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By agentboolen
    @Raven_Sword said:

" @drakattack: Well, I tried DLing teh Bioshck 1 demo on Steam, and that thing barely loaded and chugged to hell and looked like ass. I think Star Craft 2 adn Old Republic are going to require jsut as much if not more then that game. "

With a better video card you should be able to run these games.  And I would concider Bioshock more graphic heavy then Star Craft 2.

Also this is a good site to see what your computer can handle now Can You Run It
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By monetarydread

Nvidia GTX 460 1gb. Unless you are looking for a hundred dollar or a five hundred dollar video card this is the only option at the moment. I am running pretty much the same processor, two gig of ram, even with an 8800gt I could max out Oblivion, SC 2 and WOW and not see my performance dip below 60fps. The GTX460 is well over twice as powerful as an 8800gt

drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By drakattack

I give up trying to post links to my gaming system. GB is failing miserably atm. 

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ sata 3.0 usb 3.0
    Intel i7 930
    palit gtx460 overclocked sonic edition
    6gb gskill 1600 tri channel memory
    850 watt power supply with blue led 
    thermaltake armor a90 case with blue led   
    1TB 7200 rpm
    80GB SSD

Got it all for 1129 with shipping included. Had to use some bundling sku's and a promo code to achieve the price. Will be using my old G15 gaming keyboard and mouse. Sound will come via the onboard 5.1 controller and I am using a 5.1 logitech speaker system I had laying around. I will be playing on a 23" lcd.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monetarydread
    @drakattack:  Damn, thats a good price for that gear. I want an SSD soooooo badly.
    drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By drakattack
    @MonetaryDread:  I was excited about the PC before I read about and ordered the GTX 460, now I am dieing waiting for the parts to arrive. I have literally never been this excited over any purchase. It's my first build, so wish me luck!
    MaltaGamer1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MaltaGamer1980

i just recently finished building my PC at medium/good budget.. 
    Intel Core i5, 4GB DDr3 RAM, 1TB HDD & ATI Radeon HD5870... imo this is a decent PC which should let me run all current + upcoming titles... probably will upgrade the ram to 6-8GB next month :)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

A videocard is purely the thing that renders videogames. Your you have to becareful a cpu doesn't bottleneck a videocard by it's speed, however 2.8Ghz is no problem at all however your cpu isn't great either. It doesn't hurt to add mor ram, might help with loading stuff faster. Still your right, the videocard is completely responsible for running graphics, so that's what you want to upgrade.

I hope you have enough power to run the videocard from your power watt supply. Everyone is recommending the GTX460 right now, it seems to be great value right now with enough power. It's better to get the 1gb version, however it should definetly improve your gameplay experience.

kmv_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By kmv_007

OP: Your current computer is a good start.  As others have said, the video card should be the first to be upgraded - I can't believe you tried to run BioShock on that POS.  A 5770 is a great cheap card - in can play everything out today and look good, and it's ~$150.  It doesn't require a lot of power either, but you should check your PSU to make sure it can handle something beefier than your 3450.  If you have some money after that, I would double your RAM - you probably have DDR2, so it shouldn't be too expensive, <$50.  

My system CPU is similar to yours - Pentium DC E5200 OC'd to 2.93GHz, 4 GB RAM, HD 4830 - and I haven't found a game that it can't play.  I can't max most games, but it always looks good.  I built it for ~$550 a little over a year ago, without monitor or input devices.  It won't last as long as drakattack's new rig (which will kick some serious ass), but it'll last a couple years.   My point is, if you spend $200 on your current system (depending on your power supply), it'll last you a couple years easy, especially if it's focused on running The Old Republic and StarCraft II - mass-market games like those won't require beefy systems. 

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lhaymehr

Just bump up the graphics to some cheapo 8800GT or some 2xx series and you'll be fine with that GPU CPU combination for the next year or more. There aren't many PC exclusives left and you can certainly play ports with that config. 2GB or RAM is enough if you background process list isn't a mess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.