Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Whatever happened to Tray and Play?

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By overbyte

The PC version of Halo 2 had the option of letting you play straight from the CD/DVD while it installs in the background. Looked like a great idea to pop in the disc and start playing. Whatever happened to it and why it didn't caught on? Too much differing hardware (although they could just slap on a "minimum read speed" requirement in there) or just unnecessary hassle?

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fripplebubby

I've never heard of that, it sounds awesome. I guess I have kind of always wondered why PC games make you wait so damn long before enjoying your game, so i'm not sure why that wouldn't catch on. 

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mosdl
    @overbyte said:
    " The PC version of Halo 2 had the option of letting you play straight from the CD/DVD while it installs in the background. Looked like a great idea to pop in the disc and start playing. Whatever happened to it and why it didn't caught on? Too much differing hardware (although they could just slap on a "minimum read speed" requirement in there) or just unnecessary hassle? "
    It would add more development time for a game to support that for very little gain.

I do think Gametap used to support download part of a game you bought so you can go ahead and play and it would download the rest behind the scenes.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

It's a novel concept, but really, can people not wait 5 minutes for a game to install?

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By empfeix

The idea seems pointless now that digital downloads for PC games are so prominent.  However if they shifted this idea to digital downloads it would be brilliant.   

I am sure there are other examples but this first happened to me when downloading Lord of the Rings Online.  The game is a fairly big download but to get you going as fast as possible you can start playing the game after only about 1gb of downloading.  You start playing while the rest of the game downloads in the background.  

@ajamafalous

said:

" It's a novel concept, but really, can people not wait 5 minutes for a game to install? "  

This is the exact reason why it would be cool if digital downloads started to implement this feature.  Installing a full game from dvd is easy to wait out.  But downloading a full 8gb game can take much longer depending on your connection.  Which is kinda funny seeing how many people impulse buy games on steam or other digital services, its so easy to buy the games from your house but then you have to wait until it fully completes the download. 

Honestly if games continue to grow in size and north america continues to have crap internet speeds this will seem even more viable. 

edit: btw I forgot to mention that xbox 360 games all run quieter (no disc spin) and faster with installs and many PS3 games require install so basically tray in play is dying (cept for wii I guess but thats last gen hardware amirite? :D
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Everyone knows that the disc tray in consoles nowadays is just for disc authentication. 360 and PS3 are just really gimped PC's. Tray and play is a backwards feature for the PC and the aforementioned play as you download digital distribution model should be Steam's top priority if digital distribution is to become mainstream. 

For some people, it takes longer to purchase a game online and download it than it does to go to the store and grab the physical medium, come back home to install and play it. Plus you get the pretty disc, art, and peace of mind that should your digital distro of choice for any reason fails you, you have your trusty physical medium which (ahem) should provide you with the game you bought.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.