Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Perfect Dark

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 22, 2000

Perfect Dark is a first-person shooter for the Nintendo 64 and the spiritual successor to the 1997 smash hit GoldenEye 007.

Subtle, yet important difference between the XBLA and N64 version

suicidesnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By suicidesnowman

As I recall, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had a myriad of control schemes on the N64. The only one I used  had the analog joystick for aiming and the four "camera" buttons mapped to movement. This was before there were Dual Shock (for Goldeneye, anyway) controllers and was the defacto-standard that most emulated left -handed controls of  today. 

I loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark because they allowed me to play at my optimal level through these controls. SInce the advent of the Dual Shock, the aim/move configuation has been possible for both left and right handers...not that all developers have seen to take note of these possibilities.

So why the hell have the option for the left/right switch been taken away from me in this supposed upscaling-port?  

Now I try to play, and I just feel gimped beyond belief. 

Had I known this, I would not have purchased the game. I feel pretty stupid to think that the port would have been faithful to the original and thereby would have included previously said control schemes.   

The lesson? Demo, Demo Demo...ALWAYS try the demo first!

suicidesnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By suicidesnowman

As I recall, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had a myriad of control schemes on the N64. The only one I used  had the analog joystick for aiming and the four "camera" buttons mapped to movement. This was before there were Dual Shock (for Goldeneye, anyway) controllers and was the defacto-standard that most emulated left -handed controls of  today. 

I loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark because they allowed me to play at my optimal level through these controls. SInce the advent of the Dual Shock, the aim/move configuation has been possible for both left and right handers...not that all developers have seen to take note of these possibilities.

So why the hell have the option for the left/right switch been taken away from me in this supposed upscaling-port?  

Now I try to play, and I just feel gimped beyond belief. 

Had I known this, I would not have purchased the game. I feel pretty stupid to think that the port would have been faithful to the original and thereby would have included previously said control schemes.   

The lesson? Demo, Demo Demo...ALWAYS try the demo first!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Pazy

While I would only play with the modern controls I was hoping for the old controls to mess around with. Mainly I was going to put the controls for player 2 to the original style and tell my friend it was the only way to play and only tell him when I win a round. It is quite sad, it cant be that hard to make the controls similar to the original game. Luckely for me its not important, its a feature id care about for a minute or two and no more.

suicidesnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By suicidesnowman

And I would play only with modern left-handed controls were they offered, but they're not. I've never played the game right-handed and I certainly didn't purchase this version for that sole purpose. I incorrectly assumed the game would be faithful to the source material in that regard.  
    misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By misterpope

Dude, if you are gonna let yourself be limited by those controls, you won't fully be able to enjoy all the great games out there. Just play normally.
    Qorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Qorl

There is more differances then that. the controls is not at all what I like them to be. the open door button is in the wrong place, the left trigger is not possible to map to shoot and the right to aim. the y button for changing weapon? and the aiming is so inprecise there should be a sense configuration for the aming too and not just the looking. the postitive thing as the hot spot would say is.. the xbutton does still reload :P what strikes me is how easy this game is compared to the original. I played halft the game now and I gotten used to it. And finaly, is it just me or is the one hit kill option gone? This spoils the game in mp.
    rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By rjpelonia
    @misterpope: 
    That's the problem. This is a re-release of a classic game. To him, that was playing normally. Being robbed of that option is like having run and jump switched for a Mario game. It just doesn't feel right.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

The real lesson? The right stick is for aiming, the left is for moving. Don't care about your handedness, and all my left handed friends want a word with you. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

ah you'll get used to it.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By spiceninja

Left stick for moving, right stick for aiming. I don't care who you are.

stoner_frog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stoner_frog

Rare are adding southpaw and legacy control schemes in an update next month

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.