Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

How do you find your primary and secondary?

Hokucho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hokucho

Ive been running through chars and rpacticing with them to see who I like best, but I cant say I feel anything about anyone. How can you tell when you know who you want to use? I know its a sort of 'feel' thing, but like I said, I cant tell and I dont show any superiority in performance from one to another in MP.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Wemibelle

If you don't feel any more or less comfortable with any of the characters, I would say you could just pick one or two and spend more time with them. More time = better skills with that character.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SmasheControllers

Don't go online 'til you find your main and sub. If your new to fighting games, like myself, playing online can be absolutely brutal.

Hokucho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hokucho

But I dont know -how- thats the problem. As I said before I have no real performance differences amongst the roster aside fro mbeing worse at two of them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hokucho: So either:

1. Pick a character at random
    2. Pick a character based on aesthetic/personality preferences

Don't see why it has to be so complicated if your skill is the same will all of the characters.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

Learn what is special about them, and see if that matters to you

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikeGosot

I use Kanji because i like Kanji, but i'm good with Chie and Akihiko. You seem to have the same level of skill with everyone, so use a character you like in a personality perspective.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Petiew

If you've played P3 or P4 choose your favourite character from the ones available. If not, choose who you think looks coolest. Go into training mode, learn how all of their normals and specials work. See if you can create some of your own basic combos before heading into challenge mode and then arcade to practice what you've learned. Once you've got a better grasp of your character take them online and practice the stuff you've been learning.

You need to pay attention to what kind of player you are and what type of character best suits you. If you're playing a rushdown character but find yourself playing more defensively and waiting to punish your opponent, then switch to a zoning character. 

Basically, play the game more. Try out the different modes and just see who fits the best.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By c_rakestraw

I just tried characters until I found a couple I was able to get the hang of quickly or wanted to learn. Maybe try playing challenge mode with a few characters, see how they play? Certainly helped me decide on mine.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By YI_Orange

I go by feel. Going into the game Yosuke wasn't even on my radar.

falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By falconpunch

I'm Mitsuru, sub Charlie. My brother is Brosuke sub Elizabeth.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fearbeard

If you don't feel a particular affinity to any characters playstyle then just pick whichever character you like the most cosmetically.

Hokucho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hokucho

Found my main. Naoto. Just beat 4 ranked matches in a row, two of which were Cs (I was currently F)

Xomero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xomero

The way I found my mains was I basically I liked Chie from P4 so I used her as my main. And then Shadow Labrys to me was described to be most similar to Carl Clover from Blazblue so I picked her for that. And as I learned her I really liked how she felt. I still think I suck with both characters though .-.

But I want to like pick everyone up because I like them all xD

I just do it by if I like them or not - storywise then maybe gameplay wise :p

arkkkkkkk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By arkkkkkkk

Just try out all characters and see which ones are comfortable for you to play with.

Then take him/her to training mode and practice.

Then go online and get some practical and matchup experience.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@Hokucho: Don't let the alphabet rank fool you. It matches you by level.

CityName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CityName

I know Hokucho found his main, but maybe this will help others coming in looking for theirs.

I have many many hours logged in Persona 4 and have hated Yosuke for every minute of every hour. That being said, he is my favorite fighter to play in P4A. I played through his story because I wanted 100% completion and immediately dug his play style. I main Yosuke, sub Akihiko. I've been told that's a bad call because they're both (mostly) close range, and although deep down I know they're right when they say that, I just can't help myself.

It really comes down to what you prefer. I really like the speed that Yosuke and Akihiko have. If you're good (I'm not) you can get in and get out without you're opponent really knowing what has happened (This is more Yosuke than Akihiko, he's fast, but he's not THAT fast).

If you're more in to ranged combat you might take a look at Naoto, Aigis, Yukiko, and to some extent Teddie

If you want someone who is fast but also really powerful, Mitsuru, Charlie, Chie, Labrys, and Shadow Labyrs are your best bets.

If you're just looking to beat the hell out of people and don't care that your character moves like he's wearing Goku's weighted training clothing, Kanji is your character for slow, brutal justice.

From my experience, Elizabeth is just a monster. If you know how to use her well, no one's going to stand a chance against you.

All of this stuff was purely from my perspective and the way I've played. It's possible that I've been doing it completely wrong (I've only had the game for a couple of weeks after all). Anyway, hope this helps someone along the way. Jeff talks briefly about some play styles in the Quick Look they have here on the site if you'd rather catch some info from there and pretend that silky baritone is directed specifically at you.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@CityName said:

Shadow Labrys (and I assume regular Labrys, but I have not played her at all) are your characters for slow, brutal justice.

Shadow Labrys is slow?

CityName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CityName

@FluxWaveZ: I based that entirely around Brutal Impact (Normal Labrys' version) having a 2 second charge time. I probably should have taken her other moves into account. I wouldn't call her super fast, but you're right, she's definitely not slow. I guess I oughtta do some editing.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Vade

If you want to work for counter hits and brutally punish for mistakes, Mitsuru & Akihiko.

If you like zoning, making your opponent play your game and annoying long pressure blockstrings, Yukiko.

If you like guaranteed mixups after knockdown and mindless offense, Chie & Charlie.

If you'd rather just mix people up without caring about safety, Aegis.

If you just kinda like to press buttons and like being good at mid range and air, Teddie & Labrys.

If you just want to guess right twice in the game and block the rest of it, Kanji.

If you don't like winning, Naoto.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Vade: I'm sorry, but these descriptions are horrible. I suppose they're meant to be facetious?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@FluxWaveZ: Naoto one was bang-on.

I like great normals and great melee range. So I used Mitsuru and then moved to Teddie. Both are garbage for mixups but great at mid-range and Teddie is great at crossups.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Brodehouse said:

But I win more than 50% of my matches with Naoto...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brodehouse said:

You're you. You could win more than 50% of your matches playing with the controller upside down.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By TheFakePsychic

@Brodehouse said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brodehouse said:

You're you. You could win more than 50% of your matches playing with the controller upside down.

You two make me very sad.

(also more to the topic at hand, I picked my main based off who was my favorite character, who quite amazingly fit my playstyle fairly well. And I'm also nearing a 50% win rate...)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheFakePsychic said:

@Brodehouse said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brodehouse said:

You two make me very sad.

(also more to the topic at hand, I picked my main based off who was my favorite character, who quite amazingly fit my playstyle fairly well. And I'm also nearing a 50% win rate...)

:/

It's not like I dislike her as a character or something. I was thinking about maining her myself before the game came out. But she's as gimped as Mitsuru is unfair.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vade

@FluxWaveZ: Haha. I played Naoto quite a bit and every round is just working so hard for that SMP and you maybe get one chance because of her poor mixup. Her normals are also pretty terrible and traps kinda weak. I don't see winning a tournament with her or extended sets.

(Oh and I like her but she's pretty bad :P)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Vade said:

@FluxWaveZ: Haha. I played Naoto quite a bit and every round is just working so hard for that SMP and you maybe get one chance because of her poor mixup. Her normals are also pretty terrible and traps kinda weak. I don't see winning a tournament with her or extended sets.

Despite her low health, Naoto is extremely fast. Her traps are not designed to deal damage, but to control the space and force your opponent to block if they attempt to pressure you. Her gun is designed the same way. Her Persona C attacks are really good, too. It's not all about the SMP.

If I had to, I guarantee you I could go pretty far—possibly even win—one of our community tournaments mainly playing as Naoto just by putting in effort to learn how to play as her correctly.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vade

@FluxWaveZ: Well I can beat people who have no experience in the matchup fairly easily. However, you should see how fast my Naoto gets blown the hell up offline by this guy who practised the game couple months in the Japanese arcades. Naoto needs some serious dedication compared to other characters.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Vade said:

Naoto needs some serious dedication compared to other characters.

And compared to Shadow Labrys?

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vade

@FluxWaveZ: No Slabby experience so I didn't put up a description. Seems like the same technical level as most Arc puppet characters.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Vade said:

@FluxWaveZ: No Slabby experience so I didn't put up a description. Seems like the same technical level as most Arc puppet characters.

Shadow Labrys is the least played character in the game, behind Aigis. She requires the most dedication out of any character and is said to be the worst character next to Labrys. She is my main, and I have had a lot of success with her.

My point is that anyone can perform well with any character as long as they're willing to put in the effort. Naoto is much better than people are making it seem.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vade

@FluxWaveZ said:

My point is that anyone can perform well with any character as long as they're willing to put in the effort. Naoto is much better than people are making it seem.

Yea you hit once, count carefully to 10, and convert a combo to like 5k to all your life in damage. It's still pretty nervewracking to play though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.