Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

About to jump in for my first ever Persona experience

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

What should I know? I hear this game is quite complicated in terms of quests and general stuff to do. I want to get the most out of it as possible so please without spoiling anything, do you have any tips for me? :)

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Don't cast bufu.

And do the Kanji social link.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't edit my posts for some reason... but I also wanted to add that I'm starting the game on Hard.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Make sure you do something that will increase your stats (Knowledge, courage, etc) or social links every day that you are able to.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is not complicated there is just much to do. Just enjoy the game and do not try to to get a perfect game by midmaxing it. Just enjoy the game you can not screw up much and even if you do you get 1 week back and can try again.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just don't waste days! It's pretty simple, always be doing productive things, and try to balance them well.

Almost like real life...

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HeyGuys

Good luck! The only thing I can say is be patient, the game takes a little while to get going. Some S. links can be difficult to come across but you don't need to do everything to really enjoy the experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude. I was so worried about being lost and doing poorly, don't worry, you'll do fine. I would peek briefly at a guide here and there just to make sure I wasn't way off, but in the end I was just fine! I didn't get 100% but I did pretty well.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I wouldn't worry too much about maximizing your time and trying to get every quest done. Just play it how you want to play it and have fun with it. You're pretty much guaranteed to not complete all of the quests without a FAQ, so just get done what you can get done and enjoy the experience.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mosespippy

@xyzygy: I highly recommend against starting on hard. You're just adding 10 hours of grinding, and the combat is not why you are playing this game.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't feel bad about looking up answers to all the questions. Because some of the things there are crazy to know off-hand.

Just play and enjoy it, like other people have said. Spend time social linking when you can, or trying to boost up stats. Or hit the TV and go to dungeons. Or spend some time fishing. Catching bugs, when you get the ability, doesn't take any time and can be done at night or in the day (night's better, I think), and gives you some good bait.

I would try to get the 5 core stats (Courage/Knowledge/etc) up to rank 5 if you plan on doing NG+. That way you never have to worry about them again and can spend days socializing instead of reading books (though the fishing ones are pretty good to finish) or making envelopes and such.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Secret best Social Link is Ai, you'll need Courage but it is worth it.

Just enjoy the ride, don't stress over anything too much. As long as you fuse often and fight every shadow as you move up the dungeons you shouldn't run into many issues.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just enjoy the ride, don't stress over anything too much. As long as you fuse often and fight every shadow as you move up the dungeons you shouldn't run into many issues.

I think that about damn near every Social Link. But yeah, Ai has some good moments.

If I were to give Social Link tips, going for your main combat crew first helps quite a bit.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:
    @nightriff said:

I think that about damn near every Social Link. But yeah, Ai has some good moments.

If I were to give Social Link tips, going for your main combat crew first helps quite a bit.

And ignore the Nurse SL, it's....yeah....just ignore it

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:
    @nightriff said:

Well, at rank 3 or 4 (can't remember specifically) it unlocks the Death link.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nightriff

@capum15 said:

@nightriff said:

@capum15 said:
    @nightriff said:

Well, at rank 3 or 4 (can't remember specifically) it unlocks the Death link.

Well, that one he can ignore too. And I believe it is Rank 3

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

Well, that one he can ignore too. And I believe it is Rank 3

True, Death is the only link I never actually started. I was going to ignore the Nurse link but I eventually had squat to do at night in the last bit of the game since I had done so many other links, that I managed to get that to 10. Got the Tower link to 8 in the same time frame.

Only really left 5 links not maximized. Moon (6), Hanged (2 or so), Temperance (4), Tower (8) and Death (0). It's crazy how many you can get done even when putzing around during your first run. That's including spending days fishing (mostly for Fox and the kitties), and getting all 5 skills to 5. No doubt I'll be able to get them all when I get to NG+. Being able to Trumpeter / Yoshitsune my way through the early dungeons is going to be hilarious. Victory Cry is best cry.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@capum15 said:
    @nightriff said:

Dude, hers is one of the best. I love it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

It starts off sooooooo good and falls apart by Rank 5

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

But man, those first ranks are glorious.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

Yes, yes they are, if only they were ranks 8, 9, and 10

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By bigjeffrey

POPULARITY LEADS TO INTAMACY

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

That would have been amazing.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karmosin

@mosespippy said:

@xyzygy: I highly recommend against starting on hard. You're just adding 10 hours of grinding, and the combat is not why you are playing this game.

Though, hard dosen't lower your XP-intake, it only makes the enemies hit harder and your hits weaker. Very hard does lower your gain in xp and money though.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:
    @nightriff said:

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

@hailinel said:

@nightriff said:

That would have been amazing.

The persona from her S Link is probably the best one from the level 70-90 range, so it's difficult to ignore in a first play through.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The persona from her S Link is probably the best one from the level 70-90 range, so it's difficult to ignore in a first play through.

I have yet to look up how to make him, but I did just look up his stats and damn, that's some blocking. I have Null Wind on a lot of dudes so that'd make him only able to be hit by Physical and Light.

Though with my Trumpeter and Yoshitsune, I'm basically unstoppable. I can utterly destroy the Reaper with them.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Darji

@karmosin said:

@mosespippy said:

Though, hard dosen't lower your XP-intake, it only makes the enemies hit harder and your hits weaker. Very hard does lower your gain in xp and money though.

If you have to grind in Persona 4 you are not understanding the battlesystem . There is no need to grind in any way even on hard. The only thing you could do is beating the dungeons always a second time for he special weapon but you really do not need to do that either.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shinjin977

@xyzygy: Enjoy this amazing game for the first time? you lucky bastard

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@karmosin said:

@mosespippy said:

If you have to grind in Persona 4 you are not understanding the battlesystem . There is no need to grind in any way even on hard. The only thing you could do is beating the dungeons always a second time for he special weapon but you really do not need to do that either.

It's not that I'm grinding when I play on Hard. It's just that getting to the end of a dungeon takes 2 hours instead of the 1 hour it takes me on easy. I'm not going out of my way to get into more fights in either and I never feel underpowered in either. It's just that it takes much less time, which is nice since I've played P4, P3P and P4G twice each and am tired of the combat.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: really? I never felt that way. I usually go through the dungeon no exploring everything and just fighting the monsters on the way and I was fine on hard. Never played Golden but I would guess this would not change much at all. But I also rush always through these dungeons since the battles are my least favorite thing in Persona games. I just want to do the social and story stuff XD

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting with 4 of the series, I just decided to jump in. the original version, my ps2 still works.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: On normal or hard I'd fight every enemy along the way and be at a good level for bosses. My last time through Golden on easy I ran past as many enemies as I could except golden hands and rare enemies and hit level 99 in November. The time spent in dungeons was reduced sooo much by playing on easy.

LurchenGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike real life, it is TOTALLY acceptable to date the entire female population at the High School. You only get shamed once (REALLY LATE into the game). The game lasts anywhere from 50-90 hours, depending on how in depth you get (It took me 81 hours the first time). The game is a blast, and it is a great representation of arguably one of the greatest JRPG series of all time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.