Is there really no manual packed with this game?

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I cracked open my copy of P4G a little while ago. I don't have a Vita yet, but figured I might as well see what the manual had to say about the new game elements. Except that there wasn't a manual in the case.

Is this actually the norm for the game? I just find it surprising because Atlus has generally been good about including detailed manuals with their games in the past.

#2 Posted by Teddie (40 posts) -

It's the norm that Vita games don't have manuals in general.

#3 Posted by Autumn_Thunder (85 posts) -

Hopefully that isn't the case. The Persona games are one of the few in which a manual can actually serve a very important purpose (fusion chart). I often have my manual in front of me when playing P3P.

#4 Posted by Voxus (343 posts) -

No vita game I've purchased has come with a manual insert.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/945498-shin-megami-tensei-persona-4/faqs/55266

Fusion chart above.

#5 Posted by Landon (4152 posts) -

@Autumn_Thunder said:

Hopefully that isn't the case. The Persona games are one of the few in which a manual can actually serve a very important purpose (fusion chart). I often have my manual in front of me when playing P3P.

Do you not have a phone with internet access?

#6 Posted by SpaceRunaway (870 posts) -

@Autumn_Thunder: The manual can be read on the Vita, but yes, generally Vita games tend to not include physical manuals.

#7 Posted by Autumn_Thunder (85 posts) -

@Landon said:

@Autumn_Thunder said:

Well, there's something about the feeling of just having what comes with the game, that reminds me of playing games when I was a kid, you know?

#8 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

I recall Shipwreck saying that about the Vita version of Virtue's Last Reward. Something about manuals not being required.

#9 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

No Vita game has a manual.

#10 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2571 posts) -

When you pop the game in, it (to my understanding) installs the manual to the system.

Either way, when you hit the game icon you can then hit the book-looking icon - that takes you to a 72 page, full colour manual which covers all of the basics and goes into some of the new stuff, though nowhere near all of it. There's just too much new stuff I guess, for instance I don't think it even mentions the scooters or gardening.

#11 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Autumn_Thunder said:

@Landon said:

@Autumn_Thunder said:

Well, there's something about the feeling of just having what comes with the game, that reminds me of playing games when I was a kid, you know?

can't you just hold a peice of paper and pretend?

#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

The manual is on the cart like all the other Vita games.

#13 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@Bocam said:

No Vita game has a manual.

False! MGS HD Collection has a manual.

But no, P4G does not have a physical manual. Haven't checked for a digital version yet.

#14 Posted by AuthenticM (3762 posts) -

My question is why did you buy the game at retail instead of on PSN ?

#15 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

Because they don't have a Vita lol

@HansKisaragi said:

Publishers stopped caring about manuals years ago..

Bethesda and Rockstar put out some decent manuals, Fallout 3 was pretty thick, GTA IV was packed with heaps of fake advertising from the game.

#16 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Rayman Origins has a 20 page manual and Army Corps of Hell came with a full-color 10 page one. The JP games I've bought all came with a button insert at least.

#17 Posted by AuthenticM (3762 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@AuthenticM said:

Because they don't have a Vita lol

I know. You don't need a Vita to buy stuff on PSN.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Manuals have been finished with their relevance in games for a while now do I'm not surprised.

#19 Posted by Kowalo (91 posts) -

The manual on the vita is actually pretty detailed, still has the fusion chart and such.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

Because I like having physical copies. Digital/cloud-based future my ass.

And it's really odd that Vita games don't have manuals, yet the cases have clips meant to hold manuals in place. Just...why?

#21 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

And it's really odd that Vita games don't have manuals, yet the cases have clips meant to hold manuals in place. Just...why?

Presumably it is so that if the publisher wants to include a manual, they don't need to switch to a different type of cases. Also, sometimes they want to include codes for bonus items, online passes, or promotions for other games, and they have to go somewhere.

#22 Posted by WJist (314 posts) -

@Hailinel: I used the clip in my P4G case to hold my pre-order "bonus" card with the website of Vita screensavers. But yeah, it's kind of a weird decision to have them in there if there are no manuals.

I'm with you on the not having digital copies thing - if those servers get fucked, or Sony decides to revoke your access/rights to games you purchased, no more games. Happens every once on a while with Amazon and Kindle books. And it would be one thing if digital distribution was a thing and proprietary memory wasn't an issue too - those Vita cards are not cheap. Should have just gone with more standard storage (or better yet, allow us to connect USB drives). Jeff is right: if someone makes you think about memory management instead of games, someone has messed up.

#23 Posted by AuthenticM (3762 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@AuthenticM said:

Because I like having physical copies. Digital/cloud-based future my ass.

Maybe Sony has jumped on the no-manual bandwagon that seems to be getting popular.

#24 Posted by Cybexx (1195 posts) -

Another reason just to go digital. I personally just like having all my games on my system and not worrying about carts, Persona 4 Golden like Persona 3 Portable is a game I expect to play it bits and pieces over a long period.

The only Vita carts I own are the copy of Little Deviants that came with my bundle and a copy of Mortal Kombat I grabbed in Hawaii since my hotel room had terrible internet. Mortal Kombat now lives as a permanent fixture in my system.

At the very least I think the digital copies are better future proofed than the carts. If Sony every releases a 3rd portable system (not holding my breath) then there is a decent chance you'll be able to re-download Vita purchases onto it but probably almost no chance that thing has a Vita cart slot.

#25 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Nope, it doesn't. Next question.

#26 Posted by BradBrains (1069 posts) -

just like the home improvment game there is no manual. real men dont need manuals.

#27 Posted by hollitz (1560 posts) -

I can't even think of the last time that I learned anything from a manual.

#28 Edited by Atlas (2454 posts) -

Wait, you opened the game box, saw that there was no manual, and had to ask the internet whether or not the game comes with a manual before you were sure? Do you have so little trust in your own perception of the world?

I never cared about manuals. Inspired by Adam Sessler, I threw out a bunch of video game cases the other day, including the manuals. There is no info in the manual that can't be found online.

And this is the first and only time I will ever comment in a P4G thread, because I've never gotten into the Atlus games and I have zero interest in buying a Vita. So, it's been real guys. Later.

#29 Posted by ikilledthedj (311 posts) -

Halo 4 doesnt have a manual ether. At lest Australian copies Tbh I find them useless anyway

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.