Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

What do you think about Marie? (spoilers!)

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Karmosin

One of the biggest news in persona 4: golden was the inclusion of two new social links, Adachi and Marie. While most seemed happy with the new interactions with everyones favorite scumbag detective, the feelings on Marie and her story seemed mixed. I know it's pretty late now, but I'm still interested in what people think and also I'll get to express my feelings on the matter.

To start with her social link, I like it, but not for the reasons I expected. I liked it alot more because it showed of the other characters more and often brang them together. She was alright, but I never felt that she got bigger than being a somewhat funny tsundere. Well, she got brighter in the ending, so she definately changed, but on the way there I didn't feel very engrossed in her character. The fact that her social link commented and joked about Chies and Yukikos subconscious obsession with green and red were alot of fun, and her exposed poems showed of a more playful side of Margaret. So in that way I like that she's there, but it could have been more.

As for her storyline, I felt that she reminded me about Aigis in that it's a story that I've heard ALOT before. The whole sacrificing herself for the greater good while the investigation team chases after anyway and convinces her that there's another way is something that I've seen alot in animé and it just feels old and clichéd. I also think that it makes the game strike the truth cord a little much. The original game made it's message of truth and introspection pretty good I think. It made it clear what it wanted to say, but I didn't feel that it hit me over the head with it. With Maries chapter in it too, I felt it became a little too much. The foreshadowing of Izanami is in my eyes both good and bad. In the original it was pretty sudden with Izanamis part, but I think that it made it more interesting that the game played your expectations of it's mechanics against you, telling you that you should go home and such, and being used to that being the usual schtick, it didn't come of as being very suspicious. With Maries part in it, we knew that something still was up and were naturally more suspicious on the last day.

Then again, you can ignore Marie and her story if you want too, though that makes things kinda disturbing in the last part of the game because that means she actually killed herself so that the fog couldn't spread again...

Her dungeon were pretty interesting though, but I couldn't make alot of sense of the poems it told throughout it. I guess they should have some meaning because they're there, but they were very abstract. The music was perfect, it really reflected loneliness and gives me shivers to this day, and Maries sad but beautiful theme itself felt like it had some symbolism in it of her resolve to die with the cocking gun being heard in some parts of it.

So... For me, it's a mixed bag. I didn't really mind her, but my fondness for her social link comes more from bringing all the other characters together, wich is always means a good time, than her character and story itself. She had her fun moments, like on valentines day, but it with the bar the game set for the characters in it, I feel that she sadly falls short.

So, what do you think?

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

She felt pretty tacked on and devoid of depth. I liked her dungeon and boss battle.

And if you want the true ending you can't ignore her story line.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karmosin

@hollitz said:

She felt pretty tacked on and devoid of depth. I liked her dungeon and boss battle.

And if you want the true ending you can't ignore her story line.

You mean the one when the MC comes back and everyones gotten a makeover?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Poetry was dumb/awesome? I think

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I think if you can't interpret the meaning of the poetry then you have missed out on about 75% of that characters character development. There is kind of a lot there.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Justin258

That poetry was terrible!

The character was insufferable!

Well... I don't hate her that much but she was hardly an interesting addition to the game. I just maxed the social link so that I could access the extra dungeon, which I haven't made it to yet.

Seriously, guys, that poetry was bad. I think the poetry was way worse than the character. If you didn't want me to read it, then why the bloody hell did you keep leaving the fucking pages on the ground?

EDIT: Also the way that social links with her tended to attract the entire cast was pretty stupid. It's like all of you guys just happened to walk by at different times? Why is the entire team hanging out without inviting the leader? Are you motherfuckers planning a mutiny? 'Cause, I tell you, Yosuke ain't fit for this job.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, guys, that poetry was bad. I think the poetry was way worse than the character. If you didn't want me to read it, then why the bloody hell did you keep leaving the fucking pages on the ground?

That gets explained though. So either you haven't gotten far enough or you've missed some obvious hints on what's going on. =P

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justin258

@karmosin said:

@believer258 said:

That gets explained though. So either you haven't gotten far enough or you've missed some obvious hints on what's going on. =P

Does it get explained in the social link itself? Or does that come later? I know there's some more stuff that has to do with Marie later on. I've finished the social link.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

@karmosin said:

@believer258 said:

Does it get explained in the social link itself? Or does that come later? I know there's some more stuff that has to do with Marie later on. I've finished the social link.

No, the social link has nothing to do with it. You know when you sometimes enter the velvet room and a poem is on the floor. It'll be revealed in some of these scenes later in.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Justin258

@karmosin said:

@believer258:

@believer258 said:

@karmosin said:

@believer258 said:

No, the social link has nothing to do with it. You know when you sometimes enter the velvet room and a poem is on the floor. It'll be revealed in some of these scenes later in.

I took to skipping most of those because I hated the poetry.

Her leaving poetry on the floor was not really my biggest complaint with the whole thing. My biggest complaint was the poetry itself, which was just awful. I know it's probably supposed to be awful, what with Marie being a fifteen year old girl and all (...sort of), but it was still pretty hard to sit through.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I liked her. She was pretty entertaining to hang out with because of her interactions with the rest of the Social Link Squad, and her poems were hilarious in the context of a young girl who's not even human and has problems understanding all the crap she's dealing with. The dungeon and all of that was fun, and a cool addition to the new months added in the game, and while she felt a bit thrown in at times she'd probably have fit in perfectly if I hadn't spent so much time with the original. Of the two added S. Links, I vastly preferred her to Adachi, who was accurately sleazy and pathetic and creepy in such a way that I'd never want to go through that whole process again. Fuck that guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.