Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Ps2 games have music but no voice acting....

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SamanthaK

So this morning i tried to play Tony Hawk's pro skater 4 on my Ps2 and found out i had only music but no voice acting.

I tried cleaning the disk but that didn't work.

I know the voice acting is bad in this game but i still want to hear it.

Is there something wrong with my Ps2 or is there an issue with the game?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Have you tried other games? I never played THPS4. Definitely figure out if it's the hardware or software.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: yeah i tried several game but it happens on quite alot of them.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

:'( that sux. at least you'll probably be able to get another ps2 for pretty cheap. I tried to play some ps2 games last year and both my controllers were dead, one of them I used to beat maybe one game. The later models must be really cheaply built.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: yeah the old ones work fine, the newer ones are pretty crap.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By damodar

What a strange issue. What about other sound effects in general?

I'd have to imagine that the audio would all come through the same processor, unless it's streaming the music off the CD in real time, whereas the other audio would be stored in memory, and that makes some difference for some reason?

Is it possible the ps2 is doing 5.1 surround sound audio or something and the system is only hooked up with stereo cables and you're only getting rear left and right channels? If that's possible, the speech audio might be mixed to only come out front left and right? I'd also check the actual audio levels in the game options, I suppose it's possible that the non-music audio levels are set to zero or something. Dumb suggestions, but it's good to get the dumb, easy to check stuff out of the way first!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've had that same problem with PS2 games specifically where parts of the audio, like the voice acting will cut out.
    I have a fat original PS2 I've used for over a decade now so I think it may have to do with the laser being worn out and maybe not able to read the audio channels properly.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@damodar: this seems like the most likely problem. Check out the PS2 system settings and game settings.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nvm guys i fixed it, instead of using Scart i plugged the cable in directly and that seems to work.

Thanks for the help though i appreciate it. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.