Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

640p? (GTA4 related)

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hmm, just went onto wiki to check out to see if any "trophy" info for the game was present - as I heard the rumor that GTAIV would be getting trophy support sometime and noticed that the PS3 version is listed at running in a 640p resolution as opposed to teh 360s 720p. What's up with that? I didn't even know 640p was something a company would ever consider for a native resolution. Hard to immagine that with other high profile games supporting 1080p - that Rockstar couldn't get atleast 720p out of the system.

Anyone have some insight?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pause422

(incoming morons flaming PS3 cuz they're fucking stupid) This was gone over by a lot of gaming sites around GTA4's release...yeah I have no idea why they left it like that, they could of easily got 720p out of it..was realized immediately after its release. I saw both versions..one really doesn't look superior though at all..besides the typical difference of the 360's colors being a bit more vibrant...I don't have a single clue why they didn't make it 720 though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

If the game looks good, what difference does it make?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MB said:
    "If the game looks good, what difference does it make?"
    I wasn't complaining, I was just curious.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 3 runs at a sub-720p resolution, and it still looks fine to me. 

The Playstation version also has less of an issue with pop-in, which really isn't a pressing matter on the 360, but it is sorta-kinda obvious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Halo 3 runs at a sub-720p resolution, and it still looks fine to me. 

The Playstation version also has less of an issue with pop-in, which really isn't a pressing matter on the 360, but it is sorta-kinda obvious."
    Hehe, I love your confidence. "Sorta-kinda obvious" ;)
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hush404 said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:

The Playstation version also has less of an issue with pop-in, which really isn't a pressing matter on the 360, but it is sorta-kinda obvious."
    Hehe, I love your confidence. "Sorta-kinda obvious" ;)"
    Hey, man.  Self-deprecation wins the ladies. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "hush404 said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:

Hehe, I love your confidence. "Sorta-kinda obvious" ;)"
    Hey, man.  Self-deprecation wins the ladies. "
    AHah, :D.
    calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By calf_exercises

when i played it i think it was in 720, either way it looked really pretty

kadosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kadosho

I remember seeing a resolution test at a local game store a few weeks back. But even the smallest details can be missed by the eye.

LooM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LooM
    calf_exercises said:
    "when i played it i think it was in 720, either way it looked really pretty"
    remember, there is no such thing as 640p (don't get me wrong, of course there is a resolution in that size) but your ps3 will upscale from 640p to 720p..  though natively the game only runs 640p..  ;-)
    You can hardly, if you can at all tell the difference, so I don't really care ;)
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Hexpane

640p is definitely noticeable and there are many more games at this SUB HD resolution native on both PS3 and XBOX.  It looks kinda blurry and jaggy.  I also noticed the sub HD res in COD4, I feel like I have to squint when aiming long distance.

Sony promised 1080p TRUE HD FUTURE PROOF gaming and instead we are getting games that are not even 720p native, its an insult.  Even worse Microsoft just upscales every game to 1080p and lists 1080p on the back of the box of every single game.  That is an insult to the few games that can actually run in 1080p when most of that garbage is running in 640-600p.

As a gamer w/ a 1080p tv, you are getting robbed.  Any tv can upscale to 1080p, so the native resolution is what always matters.  Take a look at the screenshots for the PC GTA4, it looks like a brand new game.  It looks like it was SUPPOSED to look on the PS3.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By smallville123
    Hexpane said:
    "640p is definitely noticeable and there are many more games at this SUB HD resolution native on both PS3 and XBOX.  It looks kinda blurry and jaggy.  I also noticed the sub HD res in COD4, I feel like I have to squint when aiming long distance.

Sony promised 1080p TRUE HD FUTURE PROOF gaming and instead we are getting games that are not even 720p native, its an insult.  Even worse Microsoft just upscales every game to 1080p and lists 1080p on the back of the box of every single game.  That is an insult to the few games that can actually run in 1080p when most of that garbage is running in 640-600p.

As a gamer w/ a 1080p tv, you are getting robbed.  Any tv can upscale to 1080p, so the native resolution is what always matters.  Take a look at the screenshots for the PC GTA4, it looks like a brand new game.  It looks like it was SUPPOSED to look on the PS3."

Dude it's up to the devs to add 1080p.  Why are you laying so much of it on sony?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hexpane said:
    "640p is definitely noticeable and there are many more games at this SUB HD resolution native on both PS3 and XBOX.  It looks kinda blurry and jaggy.  I also noticed the sub HD res in COD4, I feel like I have to squint when aiming long distance.

As a gamer w/ a 1080p tv, you are getting robbed.  Any tv can upscale to 1080p, so the native resolution is what always matters.  Take a look at the screenshots for the PC GTA4, it looks like a brand new game.  It looks like it was SUPPOSED to look on the PS3."
    Ahh, I get ya. Yeah I've noticed that most 360 games have that listed but then knew they upscaled too :P I know a number of titles on the PS3 have 1080p, its a small but growing number. hope devs are able to do native 1080p more in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.