Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Final Fantasy 13 okay for someone new to the genre?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine

I've never played a Final Fantasy game but FFXIII is only $20 on amazon today. I've read the review and I hear the game is slow paced but maybe that's good for someone knew to the genre like myself? Should I pick FFXIII for the amazing price of $20 or should I pass on this one? (Keep in mind I have a million other games on the platform to catch up on)

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

I'd say you should give it a shot. 

It can get very challenging but it's also very forgiving (with a retry option so you're never really screwed)

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

FFXIII was actually my first game in that kind of genre. It does try its hardest to ease you into things but if you slack off you'll end up in a situation like me where it's like "Surprise! Here's a boss that's going to completely murder your face!" For $20 I'd say go for it. That's a great deal

knives3057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By knives3057

Compared to the older games it is very slow paced, but it is also pretty linear. I believe that would make it better for newer players. it teaches you the mechanics pretty slowly so your sure to get the hang of it pretty easily. Not to mention its beautiful. play it on PS3 tho, looks better IMO. but after your done with XIII you should check out the older ones. all of them are pretty freaking amazing

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Xanth93

It's definitely the most forgiving entry in the series. It's also one of the worst in the main series, but the Final Fantasy games have always been good, so that isn't saying much. This is also a good game.

I'd say give it a shot. It's quite an interesting game and well worth playing. The story is great, and the graphics on the PS3 version is nothing short of incredible.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

yah know, it probably is.  Since the game is basically a tutorial most of the way through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Excuse my noobishness, but what's the combat like in it?  I've never played a FF game before.  Is it pretty standard JRPG fare?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lunar_Aura

It's perfect if you are new to the genre. You can't get lost as everything is pretty much a straight line path. Item management is simplified. Stats and level up system is extremely newbie friendly. The only thing that involves any sort of strategy is paradigm shifting and by the time you get there you'll either be so involved as to master it straight away or be so disinterested in the game to just flat out quit altogether.
    Emrimion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By Emrimion

I was in exactly your position and got it when it was 30 bucks used. Well worth the money. Good story, unbelievable production values and (eventually) fun combat. And towards the end it became very challenging and rewarding. Yes, it is one long trek down a hallway, but an exceedingly enjoyable one.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

There are like a ton of tutorials going through the game. Bosses are tough though until you get the right tactic down to defeat them, which makes it easy. Look it's considered one of the worser (is that even a word) FF games, however I liked it even if it's overly linear for most of the game. I say you should start out with FFX and FFX-2, however for this gen, it's okay. Yeah buy it.

toadstule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By toadstule

Go for it! It is true that it is very linear but it's a very good way to ease yourself into the Final Fantasy series. Also, the battle system is a lot of fun. 

@InfamousBIG:  The battle system is a mix of turn-based and time-based systems. It involves a lot of paradigm shifts but I won't get into any of that since I'll probably make it sound really confusing. But basically, you are able to chain moves up to a certain amount (based on one of the character's attributes) but cannot execute the attack until a enough time has passed in a meter to allow your character to attack again. Once you make your moves, then you have to wait until the time meter fills again. "Paradigm shifts" allow you to change "classes" and give you access to different movesets. I hope this helps somewhat. Sorry if my explanation is a little confusing because its been awhile since I've played it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pweidman

Go for it, it's a good game and astonishingly beautiful.  Just go slow, back up lots to lvl yur characters, and get used to using all the paradigms as you'll need them all to survive later. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.