Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Got the "Red Screen of Death" 3 times in last the last 6 weeks

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ricetopher

So I've only had my PS3 (60 GB "fat') for about a little over a year, and now out of nowhere, I've gotten the "red screen of death" (PSP version pictured below, but its the same as the PS3 RSOD) three times.

"A serious error has occurred. Contact the Sony Computer Entertainment technical support line for assistance"
    Now how would I get this three times in 6 weeks on the same PS3? Well, this is where it gets crazy. On the first red screen, reinstalling the firmware fixed the issue. But on the second red screen, about three weeks later, reinstalling the firmware did not do it, but rather the "rebuild database" option in safe mode. Now, tonight I get it for the third time and I accidently video reset instead of boot to safe mode, and the red screen is gone (but when I boot up SSF4, it is unable to access the costume pack I had downloaded, yet it is still on my hard drive). 

At this point I have no clue if this is just a countdown to the full death of my PS3, or if theres some error that keeps coming up that may be preventable. Anybody have any clue what the fuck is going on? I suppose I could give the support line a call, but my system is out of warranty and the complete oddity of all this makes me skeptical that I'll get anything helpful out of tech support before they just say I should send it in.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Damien

I've never heard of this but I wish you luck in fixing it.  This is uncharted territories here.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar

That's a PSP.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ricetopher
    @AndrewGaspar: Oh fuck it is, my bad, I searched "red screen of death ps3" on Google and took the first result...but its the same thing, just wanted a visual reference.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

" Anybody have any clue what the fuck is going on?"

"A serious error has occurred. Contact the Sony Computer Entertainment technical support line for assistance"

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ricetopher
    @sodiumCyclops: Yeah, well I'm aware of that, but if three different occurances have had 3 different fixes, who's to say anybody on the support line would know what's going on. It's my understanding most operators don't even know about the RSOD at all.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @ricetopher said:
    " @sodiumCyclops: Yeah, well I'm aware of that, but if three different occurances have had 3 different fixes, who's to say anybody on the support line would know what's going on. It's my understanding most operators don't even know about the RSOD at all. "
    In that case I would say your PS3 is on it's way out. Better just to write everything down and send it to a Sony repair store. Why wait for the seemingly inevitable?
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By PufferFiz
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " @ricetopher said:
    " @sodiumCyclops: Yeah, well I'm aware of that, but if three different occurances have had 3 different fixes, who's to say anybody on the support line would know what's going on. It's my understanding most operators don't even know about the RSOD at all. "
    In that case I would say your PS3 is on it's way out. Better just to write everything down and send it to a Sony repair store. Why wait for the seemingly inevitable? "
    and back up your HDD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.