Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

HDD swap - How do you back up?

Christopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Christopper

I was looking into changing my HDD, Im confident about the physical changing of the HDD but wondered how I back my stuff up?

Also what backs up?

Game Data Utility?
    Save Game Data?
    Downloaded games?
    Music?
    Photos?
    PSN ID and trophies?

Or do I have to patch and download everything all over again?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Your PSN is there no matter what, it is not data, it's in their system so don't worry about your PSN, stats, trophies, etc.

It backs up all your savedata, gamedata too I believe, music, photos, videos, etc.

So you go to the main system settings and select back up, and then you have to insert something you want to back it up on, like an external HDD, memory sticks, etc.

Then do the swap, and select restore backed up data..

Christopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Christopper
    Ok thanks Sentry, I would like more clarrification on the game data though if someone can confirm this.Im not too keep on patching all my games again (If that's where the data is saved), or is it the save data? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I believe it keeps the game data utility AND the save data utility.

If not, oh well, not that big of a deal really, just install the data again when you play the game again.

Christopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Christopper
    It is a big deal if I have bought expansions to games (if this is saved to the game data utility), for example the team pack for super stardust HD.

I have about 20 games all with the latest updates and expansions on them, I dont want to lose this or go through my download list in the PSN and go through every single one again.
    You see my point?

If on the other hand this is saved in the backup then that's fine. Saves me a hell of alot of time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No that is a patch, into your PSN ID what you have boughten. Don't worry about that, i was talking about the installs in the beginning of some games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.