Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Hooking up a PS3 to a monitor?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By maxszy

So, I am in the market for a PS3. My problem however is that I don't game on an HDTV. I game on a 24" 1080p computer monitor. Sadly, it doesn't have an HDMI hookup, only a VGA and DVI hook up. (Sometime I do plan to actually get an HDTV, but the gaming console(s) need to come first! :) )

I want to buy a PS3 but I am having difficulty figuring out exactly how to make it work. Unlike another console I wont name in this forum, there doesn't seem to be an official VGA cord to make it really simple. I have been doing some research and found something like this that according to numerous commentors, they use it for their PS3 hookup. Which would be great, but how would I get sound out of this?

Anyway, I am sure someone on here can help me out. Is there an easier way than this? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FCKSNAP

HDMI-to-DVI hookups seem to be the most common solution, only you'll need an external sound source which is an easy fix by getting some destop PC speakers that can accept the composite cables' white and red sound plugs. Or get THIS which I have; the biggest problem I have with them is that only about half the games and some DVDs don't output through Optical, so I use them sparingly. Also it takes up two outlets, which a lot of people hate.

zolika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By zolika
    I'm in the same situation as you ;) 
    HDMI->DVI cable should work, if your monitor supports HDCP.
    Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Dude, no worries that is easy.  My brother found a HDMI to DVI adapter at futureshop.  It plugs into the HDMI port on the PS3, then you just plug a DVI cable into that and connect it to your monitor, and you're all set.  As for the audio, luckily the PS3 can work off of separate video and audio sources, so you can just use the composite cable that came with the PS3.  Plug it in, and plug the audio into an amp or whatever.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By maxszy
    Snapstacle said:
    "HDMI-to-DVI hookups seem to be the most common solution, only you'll need an external sound source which is an easy fix by getting some destop PC speakers that can accept the composite cables' white and red sound plugs."
    I have the ability to do that... the problem is any HDMI to DVI cable doesn't have the red/white sound plugs that you speak of. There is no way to split off the sound from such a cable.. unless you have a cable that is set up like that already? And yes... I guess headphones would work as long as no one else was around who wanted to hear the sound :) (Which mostly I admit, wouldn't be a problem haha)

Hrmm alright... so HDMI -> DVI seems to be the answer. If that's the case, would the sound still go through the cable into my monitor's speakers? (If there isn't a cord that splits off the red/white sound cables.)

EDIT FOR THIS:

DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Dude, no worries that is easy.  My brother found a HDMI to DVI adapter at futureshop.  It plugs into the HDMI port on the PS3, then you just plug a DVI cable into that and connect it to your monitor, and you're all set.  As for the audio, luckily the PS3 can work off of separate video and audio sources, so you can just use the composite cable that came with the PS3.  Plug it in, and plug the audio into an amp or whatever."
    Alright so it looks like I missed the part about the PS3 working off of separate video and audio sources. I guess if that is the case, then all is well. I can just use the red/white hook ups to mini jack adapter I have and plug it into my speaker set.

Well looks like I'll be set then!

Thanks for the help!
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ocdog45
    Snapstacle said:
    "HDMI-to-DVI hookups seem to be the most common solution, only you'll need an external sound source which is an easy fix by getting some destop PC speakers that can accept the composite cables' white and red sound plugs. Or get THIS which I have; the biggest problem I have with them is that only about half the games and some DVDs don't output through Optical, so I use them sparingly. Also it takes up two outlets, which a lot of people hate."

wonder how that effects the graphics of visuals when playing a game like MGS4.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You'll need to use Optical Digital if you want surround sound or a HDMI Y splitter.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FCKSNAP
    ocdog45 said:
    "Snapstacle said:
    "HDMI-to-DVI hookups seem to be the most common solution, only you'll need an external sound source which is an easy fix by getting some destop PC speakers that can accept the composite cables' white and red sound plugs. Or get THIS which I have; the biggest problem I have with them is that only about half the games and some DVDs don't output through Optical, so I use them sparingly. Also it takes up two outlets, which a lot of people hate."
    wonder how that effects the graphics of visuals when playing a game like MGS4."
    Doesn't. DVI and HDMI are both high-quality digital image cables. The only difference being DVI doesn't carry sound channels because HDMI is designed for HDTVs where the sound and video are carried on the same cable because TV's have built-in speakers and DVI is made for HD moniters which ussually don't have speakers.

Blah, run-on sentences.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maxszy
    Snapstacle said:
    "ocdog45 said:
    "Snapstacle said:
    wonder how that effects the graphics of visuals when playing a game like MGS4."
    Doesn't. DVI and HDMI are both high-quality digital image cables. The only difference being DVI doesn't carry sound channels because HDMI is designed for HDTVs where the sound and video are carried on the same cable because TV's have built-in speakers and DVI is made for HD moniters which ussually don't have speakers.Blah, run-on sentences."
    Eh it was a good sentence and understandable!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Lozz

I'm using the XCM 1080p VGA box, works perfect. It's not HDMI just component cables, they go straight into a box then out to the monitor, dead easy and I'd highly recommend it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.