Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Hope for Yakuza 3 afterall?

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lard

From Kotaku:

For the past few months, various comments from Sega have people hoping for a Western release of Yakuza 3 bummed. Today, however, things are sounding a little more optimistic.

Popping into the comments section of a post on the PlayStation Blog, Sega of America assistant community manager Aaron Webber has said "Yakuza 3 is not cancelled – and the possibility for localizing it does, in fact, still exist."

"The original news story that went around about Yakuza 3 being declined for the US was false, and localizing the game still remains a big point of discussion for many people here at SEGA, and especially those of us on SEGA's community team."

"I know it's far from an announcement, but I just felt you should know that the chance does still exist."

Nice. For what it's worth, here's what we've heard: that Sega are looking for somebody else to localise the game, take the risk, similar to how Capcom handles the release of GTA in Japan.

Atlus?

Considering that they posted on the official Sony blog, it gives me hope there's at least a kernel of truth to this.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I wonder if they're just gonna skip bringing Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan over, that came out before 3 in Japan anyways...

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Lemegeton

yeah ryu ga gotoku kenzan will never come out here. but for yakuza 3 its obvious there will still some small hope but i doubt it will come out because Sega are a bunch of douchebags these days 
    Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lard

The fact that they actually went as far as to comment on it on the official Sony blog leads me to believe that it's still at least 50/50

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @Lemegeton said:
    " yeah ryu ga gotoku kenzan will never come out here. but for yakuza 3 its obvious there will still some small hope but i doubt it will come out because Sega are a bunch of douchebags these days  "
    I dunno, before Kenzan came out they spoke positively towards bringing that over because they were thinking the West was more interested in feudal Japan than modern Japan.

But yea, I don't get why Sega acts the way they do.  There seems to be many opportunities they simply pass up without good reasons.
    X5_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By X5_2000

I've already bought and played through it, because I thought they said it would never be localized. But I can understand not doing it if the demand and sales for it are really low. I don’t know how well the other Yakuza games sold, but I imagine low sales in the western market is the main reason they’re not doing it.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By chililili
    @X5_2000 said:
    "

I've already bought and played through it, because I thought they said it would never be localized. But I can understand not doing it if the demand and sales for it are really low. I don’t know how well the other Yakuza games sold, but I imagine low sales in the western market is the main reason they’re not doing it.

"
    They also basically did not market at all Yakuza 2
    thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By thecleric

Followup with a kind of confirmation

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176109

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lard

You beat me to it.

Just a few days ago Sega rep Aaron Webber commented that the possibility of Yakuza 3 coming to the U.S. still exists and that it's a subject discussed quite often at Sega. Today we can do one better: we've learned that the PS3 exclusive is indeed coming west. According to sources close to the project, Yakuza 3 is currently being localized for release in the U.S. and European markets.

And while this is still not the official confirmation many are seeking, it's definitely reason to keep up hope. We anticipate more news on this front will be coming from Sega -- or another publisher, were the game shopped around -- in the coming weeks or months. It's possible we could even hear sooner: the Tokyo Game Show occurs later this week, and if you remember, Sega announced Yakuza 2 for the U.S. at the 2007 show.

In other Yakuza news, it's also only a few more days until Yakuza 4 is revealed at TGS. 

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Gabriel

I think 1up confirmed it yesterday.
    Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Biddy

Hopefully that happens. I have no interest in Yakuza, but I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

I heard a rumor that Ignition might be publishing it, which if there Muramasa localization was any indication (Japanese voice w/ subtitles only) would be a good choice.  Sega's own localization of the first Yakuza was all kinds of awful.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Ujio

1UP already confirmed Y3's coming over here 

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Brake
    @Ujio said:
    " 1UP already confirmed Y3's coming over here  "
    Awesooooome...I'll still wait for an official confirmation before I get my party hat out, but it's definitely looking good right now.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By WickedCobra03
    I would love to see it out.  I have the first 2 for the Playstation 2 and love them!  I would love to get the 3rd in full English....

Does anyone know if the JP version has English subtitles at least?
    Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lard

No, it doesn't. That's why everyone wants an NA release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.