Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

How to buy PSN cards online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By hermes

I am sure many of you haven't noticed (I noticed just recently), but it seems availability of online psn cards is getting more and more scarcer. First, it was removed from Amazon, then Bestbuy and now not even gamestop supports it.

Do some of you know where I can get some card codes online?

Note: When I am talking about card codes online, I am referring to the mode some online stores supported of sending you the code via mail instead of shipping the card, which is the only way to get credit on the PS wallet for some regions of the world.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Since Amazon doesn't offer online codes for PSN cards, I buy mine from gamestop.com. I bought one on gamestop a few days ago, so yes they do support them.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By fugie7

@hermes: Gamestop still supports online PSN cards.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rafaelfc

pcgamesupply.com

it's where I buy all cards online (PSN / XBLA / iTunes)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hermes

I just entered and the item is listed as "Not available".

Other similar cards (like the 12 months PS+ ones) are listed as NA too...

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

That's weird, they still support PSN cards, they're just not available at this time.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hermes

It is weird. Maybe its just a temporal thing, but after seeing all the other stores silently dropping support one by one (first one being amazon over 2 years ago, best buy was available a couple months ago), I am inclined to be pessimistic about it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

@hermes: There was an issue with my download order. It took about an hour of more for me to receive the download code via email, and gamestop sent me an apology.

Dear BraveToaster,

At GameStop, our goal is to provide an easy way for you to find everything you need to be a great gamer.

We want to let you know that due to a systems issue, we have encountered a delay with processing your recent order 8120821735949821. We deeply apologize for this delay. We are working very hard to correct the problems which have caused this delay, and will be fulfilling your order as quickly as we can.

Again, we deeply apologize for the delay. We value our customers, and do not like disappointing them. Should have you any questions or concerns, please feel free to respond to this email.

So, the issue could be temporary like you stated.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

great... I was buying mine from Best Buy. You can always go into a Gamestop and get one... I did earlier this week to buy CS:GO.

Trying to not put my credit card on PSN again since it f*cked me over royally before from buying stuff on PSN with it.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hermes

@handlas: Yeah... the problem is that I live in south america, so going to a store is not really an option. Also, I can't use my credit card because the PSN Store doesn't recognize it, and I don't want to import a card because of all the overhead costs of shipping, customs and taxes.

I know it sounds like a super specific case, but I know I am not the only one and I guess an entire continent of people not being able to buy from them (or using a service that others supports) should raise a few eyebrows at Sony and Amazon.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas

Oh, well that's a pretty sh*tty case then. Wonder if there is an option to buy them on PS3's website? Probably not. I wonder why no one carries them anymore. I would prefer to buy them off of Amazon myself.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: I think there is something going on here behind the scenes at Sony. I normally get my codes directly from their store and they have been marked "sold out" for months now. Not sure how much of it is vendors dropping support. The only thing I can think of is that Sony is preparing their behind the scenes wallet functionality for next gen and they are trying to curb users from storing money in their wallets. For some reason Sony is just not generating new codes.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you're buying it online, aren't you using a credit card? why not use that to make the purchases on psn?

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: A lot of people still have paranoia about the security of linking their credit cards to the PSN account which is why people buy these cards. I have mine linked and haven't had any problems but I know many have at least anecdotally. In my case trying to order codes from Sony directly, I use one of the Sony credit cards. I have hella points saved up and just want to redeem them for PSN credits. This happens from using the points to buy cards, but for some reason they only have $50 cards available and not always.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: Because whatever service Sony uses to validate credit card information seems to be a lot more restrictive than those of other sites. I can use my credit card in Amazon, Best Buy, Steam, etc... but for some reason, PSN doesn't allow it.

@djou: Yeah, the only thing is that this issue is not recent. Amazon dropped their support a couple years before there was even an announcement of a new PlayStation and so did Best Buy so, while its likely Sony is trying to put together similar services for their online wallet in the next generation, it is unlikely that is the reason vendors dropped support.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

@naru_joe93: Because whatever service Sony uses to validate credit card information seems to be a lot more restrictive than those of other sites. I can use my credit card in Amazon, Best Buy, Steam, etc... but for some reason, PSN doesn't allow it.

@djou: Yeah, the only thing is that this issue is not recent. Amazon dropped their support a couple years before there was even an announcement of a new PlayStation and so did Best Buy so, while its likely Sony is trying to put together similar services for their online wallet in the next generation, it is unlikely that is the reason vendors dropped support.

Wait, they don't accept your credit card at all? Weird...

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hermes

@naru_joe93: No, they don't.

To be fair, its not a straightforward situation. I live in Southamerica (hence my need for prepaid online cards), but my account uses the US Store (because I was in USA at the time, and there is no PSN for my country). I can't select my country when I enter the credit card information, and I think the credit card can't have a billing address that doesn't belong to the country of the store. None of the other online sites I know have that kind of controls.

As I said, not straightforward, but not uncommon. Since a lot of countries don't have a store of their own, many people in Southamerica, Africa and Asia has to use services similar to the one Amazon provided.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24 chaser324  Moderator

This is just spambot bait at this point.

Locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.