Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

How Would You Feel if the PS3/PS4 Had PC Style Serial Keys?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Just wondering how people would feel about this.  Also in this situation, Sony will let you freely download the game off PSN so you'd never need the Blu-Ray after you used it. 

Any thoughts?  PC games have been doing it for years, and no one has any complaints.   

Would you be okay with it if the PS3/PS4 used it?

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Hosstile17

Wouldn't care. I don't sell my games.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

If it let me download the game, it would be cool. But considering the size of most PS3 games that could quickly become an issue.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By groin

Serial keys only stop people with pirated copies from playing multiplayer on legit servers. Singleplayer only games would not really benefit from this.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

No.  It'll just be a measure to lock out the used game market for consoles.  While I never sell any of my games, I do buy used games.  Without the used market I'd never buy any 3/5 rated  or many 4/5 games.  

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @groin: @ninjakiller: Alright then, when you pop in a used copy of the game it lets you play the single player but you can't access the online without paying $30-40 for the serial key.  Would that be better?
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

what would be the point of it?

I like things the way they are now.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Binman88

I personally wouldn't mind. For the sake of being able to play pre-owned games in the future, it would be cool if the serial key thing was only required for a certain amount of time. They'd be promoting the purchase of their game new when it matters (the first months after release), while still making it possible to purchase pre-owned games in the future when they don't really care as much about people buying the game new. They could place a year-limit on it and I'd still be cool with it, as I generally only look for pre-owned games that are slightly old, and aren't easy to find in shops anyway. 

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By killroycantkill

I think that would be shitty because I like to buy used games. Especially older games that EB or Gamestop doesn't have new copies of anymore. It would limit my ability to play older games especially when a new console comes out.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ch13696
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @groin: @ninjakiller: Alright then, when you pop in a used copy of the game it lets you play the single player but you can't access the online without paying $30-40 for the serial key.  Would that be better? "
    That's just almost the price of a new game. If it was the route that EA and THQ is going, charging $10, then maybe. But, I'm not paying $30-40 for a part of a game that I already paid $40-50 used for. Besides, I can't see any of the companies (except Valve), doing a download code for their games. I'm saying that because they would've already done that  with Burnout Paradise or Mass Effect 2.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By TheHBK

I dont buy used and I don't sell my games.  And if I could download and if my internet connection were faster it would be sweet.  However, the fact that I could possibly not let someone borrow a game, would be a real fucking issue.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Enigma777

That would be awesome! I hate changing disks...

kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By kitsunezeta

The serial keys that rumors suggest Sony are looking into won't be typed. They will be part of the disc itself, and there would be an activation limit  (which looks like it'd be 5 - the same limit for download content and PSN games)

...consider, for a moment, how used copies of the Dreamcast version of Phantasy Star Online worked. Or, rather, how they didn't unless you had the original console that the disc was first used on. That's more or less what current rumors suggest Sony may end up doing in addition to mandating an active internet connection for all games for authentication purposes. The only difference is that you'd be able to run the disc on a maximum of five different consoles as opposed to only one.

The serial keys would still require the actual disc, you would NOT be allowed to put the game on the hard disk and run it from there.

So, all the people that don't have stable internet (They still exist) would be pretty much fucked, and all the people that buy games used to save money are in the same boat. And sony actually doesn't give a damn about the latter because they get $0.00 on second-hand/used sales.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By Chris2KLee

If I never have to put the disc in again after I install it and enter my key, I might be game.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By p_p_o_d

well we already have it for alot of online games but I think that is as far as it will go.  

if they still want to sell there games in gamestop they wont have codes for single player games.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Fine with me, do it.

Do it now.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By nintendoeats

I don't sell my games, ever. 

I would be displeased if they did this. 

Anything that makes me dependant on a server to play a game pisses me off, because it means that the game probably won't work in 20 years.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

meh, i would kind of want to see that happen. i don't know about inputting serial keys but i would like not having to switch disc though. it would be kind of cool for that to happen. 

kind of in the same thing but steam cloud thing that's coming to ps3. i think that would be cool for it to happen.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Vextroid
    @Chris2KLee said:
    "If I never have to put the disc in again after I install it and enter my key, I might be game. "

Pretty much this. Im gonna guess your gonna need to connect to PSN everytime you play to verify (like Steam) and if you play offline you will need the disc (unlike Steam). And I'm OK with that.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wouldn't bother me at all, I don't usually buy used games

@nintendoeats said:

" I don't sell my games, ever.  I would be displeased if they did this.  Anything that makes me dependant on a server to play a game pisses me off, because it means that the game probably won't work in 20 years. "

Except this kind of worries me..
    Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tsoglani

I would be slightly pissed; I can't afford $100 games, so I buy used, and with this serial-key thing, it looks like they might stop the used-game/trading game industry. That is why I don't like it.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By chililili

Stupid, also considering that there are freely available cracked Starcraft II and Assassin's Creed II and any PC games, we all know that serials aren't really effective at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.