Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

I Fear My PS3 May Be On Its Last Legs... Please Help.

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

First off I'll warn that this is long but I would really appreciate some help...

Things haven't been going well for my PS3 over the last week. Last Friday I was playing some Red Dead Redemption online and things were going smoothly until after finishing a hideout, the game froze on me. This sort of thing had happened before so I thought nothing of it. But powering it down normally didn't work at all so I had to flip the switch on the back. I've had to do that before so, again it didn't bother me much. Later that day, I was playing some Modnation Racers and was hanging in the Modspot with my Nabooru mod, just doing nothing and my game freezes again. Same story and I had to flip the switch off the back.

Then I had no real problems until two days ago. I was playing Rock Band 2 and was in the Character Shop when the game semi-freezes. The character is still moving and the music is still fine but my buttons don't work and the game won't quit itself. The clothes names scroll while I shop but the image doesn't. This weirded me out enough but I flipped the switch and tried again with little problem, except for when I tried to boot up Rock Band 2 right after. The PS3 wouldn't even get me into the game. Today I picked up Lego Harry Potter and was playing it and enjoying it. Things were going smoothly until it froze hard again. Luckily I was about done with it for the time being as the family wanted to play some Rock Band. So I put Rock Band 2 in again and we were playing for a good half hour until the game freezes on me right in the middle of a song and starts skipping Give It Away like a record. I had to flip the switch and hard power it down again.

Suffice it to say I'm really concerned about my Playstation. I've had it since 2007. It's a 60 GB model and has been a great device. It shows no other problems. It plays videos and music on the system and I've been playing a PS2 game on it over the last week with no freezing or problems. The only problems seem to occur when I'm playing games but it seems almost random.

I was trying to play Lego Harry Potter again today and the same thing happened to me yet again. The music started skipping and then it froze up on me. I shut it down (by holding the power for a long time) and then started it up. It showed no signs of knowing the disc was in the console so I ejected it and then put it back in. When I went to start it, the screen went black and then lit back up saying the following:

"An error has occurred during the start operation (8001050F)"

Maybe this will help to solve my problem? Anyone have any advice? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any kind and helpful comments.

Alucard_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Alucard_N7

Same thing happened to mine 2 weeks ago!  it would feeze constantly then after three weeks it just displayed a yellow light when i turned it on meaning its a dead  system.  Sorry to lay the bad news but if its like mine it will die within a week or two!  I recommend u backup ur data while u can!!

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

How do I backup my data? Is there an easy way to transfer save data, game data, and most importantly trophies to a new PS3?

This is really sad. I've never had a system die on me before... My Genesis, SNES, N64, Cube, PS2 and handhelds have all worked fine and still work to this very day. My poor PS3 dies in 3 years.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ninjakiller

The launch 60 gig that I bought recently freezes sometimes.  Oh well, if it ylod or another common break I know a good place that should be able to fix it for about $120.  

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

That's harsh dude. Sorry to see that your system is failing. Especially a launch model. Well, just back up your data for now, deauthorize you playstation, and try reformating the hard drive. Basically re-installing the playstation OS.

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mike_Sandbag
    I hate to sound like I have no idea how to do those things but... I have no idea how to do those things. How do I go about backing everything up? Or deauthorizing? I think I've seen reformat on the PS3 menus before but it's always made me wary. 

I'm quite worried about losing my save data and my trophies. I've put a lot of time and heart into them and I can't get the Sonic Unleashed Platinum again, I just can't... -shudder-

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Is there any way I could get a step by step on what to do?

EDIT: I also thought I would add that it seems to play PS2 games totally fine. I've been playing Tales of Legendia over the last week for around 20 total hours with zero problems. It only seems to fritz up with PS3 games... Does that make a difference?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696
    @Mike_Sandbag: Most of the stuff you can easily get back. The only one I'm not sure of is the PS3 saved data. Everything else is saved under your PSN ID. You just log back in after you reformat you hard drive. After that you can download everything again. Your trophies are also synced with your ID. Once you login then it will all show up. Your PS2 saves your gonna have to put onto a thumb drive or memory stick. Once you reformat your PS3 then you can put all the PS2 data back. Now the deauthorizing option is either in the settings or in your account information. You need to make sure you do that so you can download your stuff again. PSN only allows up to 5 PS3's with one account. 

If your PS3 still acts up after that then I hate to say it, but your going to need a new PS3. And since none of the new PS3's are backwards compatible then you'll probably have to get a PS2 on the side. Unless you find a 60 or 80 gig PS3 used somewhere. 

And Tales of Legendia huh? It sucks I traded that in. I'm an RPG fan. I should've hung onto that game.
    Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Iceman2913

you can backup your saves I think with a usb flash drive or external hdd

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

Thanks again for all the helpful advice everyone. Let's say I don't have an external hdd. What kind would you recommend I pick up? I could use it to backup my data for my PS3 and also my laptop. Any particularly good brands or sizes?

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Iceman2913

A good size 500gb would be good and a 1tb should cover everything in your house
    I would suggest you buy a Seagate or WD hdd
    here is example of a good one 
    1TB

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By TheWyotee93

That problem happened to me 2 years ago. I called sony and my hard drive had crashed. i had to get a replacment ps3. Hopefully thats not what you have to do.
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoeyIA

Do you have any Blu-Ray movies/does it play them normally?  You wrote that it plays PS2 games just fine so maybe its just your Blu-Ray diode failing.  If that's the case you can find disc drives on ebay and there are guides on youtube for replacing them.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i think you should call up sony to get them to fix it. you can get your saves back from getting a flash drive and saving them there.

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

Okay, so I ordered an external HDD from Amazon and now I have it in my hands... But I'm not exactly sure what to do next. I don't want to mess anything up... Is there any way I could get a simple (yet detailed-ish) step by step guide to what I'm supposed to do now?

Thanks again.

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

Bump... Anyone?

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By kingofpeanuts

My suggestion would be to vacuum the vents. Also if you know someone who can reapply thermal paste to the inner components that would help.

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

I have both vacuumed and cleaned the vents with canned air but to no real avail. :/

EDIT: Okay I have my HDD connected to the PS3 and it's backing up as we speak. What should I do once that is finished? 
    Please forgive my lack of knowledge here...

Also by backing things up, what all is backed up? For example, does it back up my Rock Band 2 created characters? Or my LittleBigPlanet levels or Modnation Mods and Karts? What about any photos, music and videos I have on the PS3? Basically, what is BACKED UP with the BACKUP UTILITY?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.