Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

I need help with which hard drive to install in my PS3?

mikenam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By mikenam

The main difference between these two hard drives are the RPM speeds and the manufacturer.  But looking at the reviews for the Western digital was great.  And then looking at the reviews for the Seagate were ok.  The only reason why I didnt get the Western Digital is because of the RPM speed for the Seagate is 7200, as the Western Digital harddrive speed is 5400.  I just need help on which one you think is better.  The prices for both are a non issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Version-Internal-ST9500420AS/dp/B001R4BBLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259806704&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-5400RPM-WD3200BEVT/dp/B0011U65F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1259808434&sr=8-1-spell

mikenam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mikenam

The main difference between these two hard drives are the RPM speeds and the manufacturer.  But looking at the reviews for the Western digital was great.  And then looking at the reviews for the Seagate were ok.  The only reason why I didnt get the Western Digital is because of the RPM speed for the Seagate is 7200, as the Western Digital harddrive speed is 5400.  I just need help on which one you think is better.  The prices for both are a non issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Version-Internal-ST9500420AS/dp/B001R4BBLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259806704&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-5400RPM-WD3200BEVT/dp/B0011U65F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1259808434&sr=8-1-spell

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

7200 is only fast by milliseconds and sometimes not at all, just go with the 5400 which is usually cheaper.

gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gazel_ministry

I installed this one in my PS3 a few months ago. Works perfectly. I had a 7200 installed before it. I honestly didn't notice a difference.

NinjaTard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By NinjaTard

This was had me worried too as I want a new PS3 hard drive but Sony is very vague on what you should look for in a hard drive without risking ruining the system. I thought I had read somewhere that 7200 runs hotter and wasn't a good choice in case you overheat your system so maybe that's more reason to get the 5400 but then I always see folks saying they had a 7200 and it was fine. 

Whatever...cheaper works for me, I just hope 500gigs is big enough to last until the next system or whatever comes next.
    mikenam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikenam
    @Gazel_Ministry: Why did you uninstall the 7200 rpm HDD?
    gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By gazel_ministry
    @mikenam:  It was too small. 100 GB. I rent HD movies and shows from the Playstation Store frequently, so 100GB just wasn't cutting it. I was usually getting low memory warnings by the 3rd movie. I installed MGS4 and GTA4 on both drives and they performed about the same....slow. I don't really think the hard drive speed is going to make much of a difference installing a game since the blu-ray player itself only reads at 2X speed. As far as accessing videos/music from the drive, I really haven't noticed a difference at all. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.