Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Just got the "yellow light of death" on my 60gig BC Launch Ps3

Rizla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rizla

So, I was in the middle of playing Red dead, just lost my horse to a mountain lion and went to break and new one when my ps3 just cut out and the light started blinking red. The same thing happened last night but it simply turned back on giving me the “ps3 was not turned off correctly message”, i thought nothing of it, Red dead is full of glitches and stuff would have been surprised if theres no crash. This time the same thing happened, after i switched the ps3 back on the light goes blue for a second and flashes green once, then quickly flashes Orange/Yellow and then turns off and thus goes red again. Is this what people mean by the yellow light of death ? So or so im ps3 isnt gona turn on again, and I’m really not sure what to do now. First of all do i send it to sony to get it fixed ... can i ? since it is a launch model my warranty is def run out. Do i just buy a slim  and put my HDD in there ?

Im realy not sure what to do now, so anyone that has already gone through this please let me know what you did and how it worked out,  

Thank you in advance. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Unlucky. Happened to my launch 60GB last christmas. Sony gave me a 120GB in return though, for free. <3

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By sfighter21

Dude, I got the YLOD 2 days after SSFIV came out.  I was pissed.  If you like tinkering with the stuff and feel confident, here's a link

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus

That sucks. My brothers launch PlayStation TWO still works, amazingly.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Lots of ppl I know has gone through that, I miss my backwards compatibility. I bought a 3 year waranty though at best buy, they were bitter giving me a new ps3 and cancelled out my waranty after that.

Rizla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rizla

So I just called UK support, and since my console is out of warranty it will cost me 131£ to get a refurbished model, however the guy told me the original hard drive needs to stay in the system and if that is what happens then all my saved games are gone. I’m not really up on all this stuff but isn’t there a way of transferring saved games and stuff of this hard drive onto another one ? So if i was to buy a new slim model I could transfer the saved games and all that from my hard drive to the new one without any problems?

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PS3RG

Luckily, my launch 60GB is still kicking. It will be a sad day when it dies.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By killer_meatballs

That sucks.   I hope that isn't the problem. My launch 60GB is still kicking.  Luckily.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

It happened to me in January of 09. Had to pay $170 to get a "new" one.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Yeah it happened to me a little while ago to while bioshock 2 was in there. Lost all of my game save, so have been playing red dead before I start bioshock again. 

Had to pay 200 bucks in Canada for the 60GB repair, but they got it back within 3 days which was great service. If it happens another time, I'll just attempt to do this - doesn't look that hard.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Keeng
    @Rizla: I've had an ongoing saga dealing with mine, which had the yellow light for the first time in January of this year. First of all, definitely send it in to Sony if you can afford it. The reason for this is they may be able to fix it and return that same PS3, meaning you'll keep all your data. The alternatives are buying a new one or fixing it yourself.  

A) The do-it-yourself fix would most likely be by a process called re-flowing and it will definitely get your PS3 up and running again. The issue is that this is absolutely not a permanent fix and it has a chance of causing several other unpredictable problems (believe me, I've been dealing with those literally all year) in addition to an eventual, inevitable second yellow light.  
    B) Buying a new one is obviously a good choice (again, if you can afford it) but the catch here is you would lose your data. If you put your current HDD in another PS3, the new one will force you to format the drive deleting all of your files. The only way to get all the saves from one PS3 to another is through the Data Transfer Utility on the XMB. This requires both PS3s to be functional, however, so you're kinda screwed in that regard. 

I highly recommend biting the bullet and sending it to Sony. Fixing it yourself will bring about other issues, and if you don't do it right, you'll no longer have the option of sending it to Sony later because it will have been opened. What they'll charge is still significantly lower than the price of a full-on new system. There's no guarantee that you'll get your PS3 (and by extension, your data) back but even if you don't, you'll be getting a new one for less than full price. Sending it in to Sony also gives you another term of warranty. 
    SirBlimE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SirBlimE

You can transfer your saves to an usb stick, all the games and trophies are tied to your account, so it's not a lot you'll be missing if you just transfer the savegames. 
    EDIT: (if you can acces the menu that is) can't remember if the ylod lets you do that....

Alternate solution. get a solid state drive (or what the ps3 drives are called) and clone the drive onto the new one using pc or mac.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By spaceturtle

Get a 360 

AHAHAHA... Nah, I kid. Look at my profile name, it's blue, for Sony. So never, never buy a 360, I say. Back to topic, what I would do if I were you is contact Sony and check what your options is with them before you do any tinkering.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Keeng
    @SirBlimE: YLOD doesn't let you get to the menu, unfortunately. Also, copying to a USB drive won't let you transfer files that have copy protection so some games such as Demon's Souls, Resident Evil 5, and Street Fighter IV won't let you do that. You are correct about Trophy data but that will only be as recent as his last sync with the server. I also tried cloning the drive when I had the problem. Doesn't work, lol. The PS3 will ask to format whichever drive is put into it if it's not the one that PS3 started with. That deletes everything. The whole situation is a massive clusterfuck. 
    SirBlimE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SirBlimE
    @Keeng: Okies, then I'm all out of logical solutions =)  I'll chime in with the rest of the sensible people in the thread and say: give good ol' Sony a call.
    Nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nine

You are basically out of luck with your save data. Installing your hard-drive in another PlayStation 3 will not work, because it is required that the hard-drive be formatted for the system, erasing all of the current hard-drive data. If you submit your PlayStation to Sony for repairs, be sure to periodically back-up your data from the new unit. I've had a repaired PlayStation break days out of its three month warranty, showing that even new units can be faulty. With that said, my friend has had his refurbished 60GB PS3 for a couple of years now, so they're relatively reliable. I wish you good luck in your repairs.

Also, Sony is currently offering (at least here in the states) a replacement 120GB Slim when you submit your 60GB PS3 and repair fees. You can still get the same model if you chose, but it's something to consider.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By PLWolf

It's too late now, but the only thing that works is either putting saves on a Flash Drive or running the backup utility to an external Hard Drive. Which I need to do again as the fan in my 60GB has been going into overdrive lately, worries me as this is MY refurb from Sony after my original YLOD'd.

isaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By isaiah

Damn damn damn damn!! 

2 months out of warrenty and I get the yellow light of death, damn.  I guess it's either pay the 150 or so to fix it or spend the 300 for a new system in a few months when I have the cash.  DAMN
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ

Man, you had to bring this thread back TODAY?!? I just bought a refurbished 60 giger, and you all have me thinking its going to break any second now.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vonocourt

I had this happen the week before Christmas last year. Had to open up the system to get the blockbuster game out.

Needless to say I wasn't really surprised what I got from Santa.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @Vonocourt said:
    " I had this happen the week before Christmas last year. Had to open up the system to get the blockbuster game out.  Needless to say I wasn't really surprised what I got from Santa. "
    So you broke your old one without even attempting to repair it?

Should have used the easy YouTube guides... even if you had gotten another PS3 you could have had two.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vonocourt
    @LtColJaxson: The thing is still in one piece, I would just need to put the screws back in.
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @Vonocourt: 

Ah nice well you should try to do the YLOD fix since you aren't using it anyway... might as well. That's up to you though but it might be interesting to see some of the stuff anyway.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vonocourt
    @LtColJaxson: I already got it out of my closet, gonna try it later. Something that really surprised me when I was taking it apart, was that top of the ps3 with the logo, is actually a thin separate translucent piece.
    apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By apoptosis61

i got my wii since it launched, plays perfect :P

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @apoptosis61 said:
    " i got my wii since it launched, plays perfect :P "
    That is irrelevant to the topic.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

i hope to god my launch 60 gig never does this.
    I will make damn sure sony gives me a 60 gig with ps2 bc back.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NXH
    @Rizla:  Hey man. I recently got the yellow light of death last week and have since been looking on the internet and gaint bomb on more details and advance.
    What happened? Did you managed to get your PS3 repaired in the end? Did you get to keep your saved data, trophies and whatnot?
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @nxh:  Trophies are synced with Sony so as long as you use the same account name it doesn't matter what PS3 you use. 

I also have a YLOD 60 Gig. So far I've just got a new slim one and I might get around to trying to fix the old one.
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NXH
    @the_hiro_abides:  Thanks dude! What about saved game data? If I was to get it fix somewhere, will it still be on there or is it long gone? =/
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @nxh:  Yeah, that depends. Depends if you backed up your saves or if the hard drive is okay. If they fix it and the hard drive is fine, then you're golden. 

If they can't fix it, you could put the old hard drive into a new PS3. Then save it to a USB stick or external hard drive (in FAT32 format, an older standard around since... Windows 2000 or 98 I think).
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wrighteous86

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NXH
    @the_hiro_abides:  So, will I be able to put my saved game data straight into an external hard drive by just taking the HDD out from the PS3 and plug it into my laptop and transfer it into the external hard drive? LOL Sorry if that sounds a bit long winded. Just a little confused. never thought this would ever happen to me.
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @nxh:  As far as I know, the HDD has to be in a PS3 for you to save it to anything external. 

I haven't tried it myself or haven't looked to deep into it. I personally, just lived without the saves in my current Slim.
    Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Same thing happened to my 60GB PS3 a few months back. I just went ahead and ponied up the $150 to Sony, because I needs my backwards compatability, and ended up getting a refurbished one back. Of course I lost all of my saves which sucked a lot. I did upgrade the HDD at this time, which was way overdue.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NXH
    @Wrighteous86:  Ha ha! You're funny! =P
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NXH
    @the_hiro_abides:  I've sent my PS3 to a repair shop that just specilizes in consoles. I asked them if my HDD will be fine and apperently they said it should be and there's no reason why it shouldn't be. Just need to bite the bullet and hope for the best.

By the way, I was looking on my Iomega external hard drive to see how to format it. I know it's surpose to be FAT32 to back up my game data, but all I could find was exFAT and then select 32 kilobytes in allocation unit size. Is that the one or something esle enitrely?
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @nxh:  exFAT is a newer format. I googled it for you and I found a page that shows two different ways to do it. The first way is via DOS and then the easy way using a program called Swissknife. 

Anyway, here's the link. I haven't tried it, but FAT32 is an old format so it makes sense it's kind of a pain in the ass. Well good luck!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Abyssfull said:

" Unlucky. Happened to my launch 60GB last christmas. Sony gave me a 120GB in return though, for free. <3 "

Happened to me six or seven months ago, and I just bought a 320GB Move bundle, for super cheap. Then my dad got the original 60GB fixed, so now I have two PS3's in my house. The second one is hooked up on our big TV.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Abyssfull said:

" Unlucky. Happened to my launch 60GB last christmas. Sony gave me a 120GB in return though, for free. <3 "

Happened to me six or seven months ago, and I just bought a 320GB Move bundle, for super cheap. Then my dad got the original 60GB fixed, so now I have two PS3's in my house. The second one is hooked up on our big TV. "
    Jesus, this certainly took me surprise. They never prepare you for 8 month old comment replies in internet school X_X
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Abyssfull said:

Happened to me six or seven months ago, and I just bought a 320GB Move bundle, for super cheap. Then my dad got the original 60GB fixed, so now I have two PS3's in my house. The second one is hooked up on our big TV. "
    Jesus, this certainly took me surprise. They never prepare you for 8 month old comment replies in internet school X_X "
    Haha, oh man, I didn't even see when the topic was posted. Sorry.
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NXH
    @the_hiro_abides: Bless you, mate. I too have been researching it and found  this video on youtube 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao32jEiluSI
    Thans a lot, mate. Really appricate your help.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.