Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

MMOFPS for Ps3

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lord_Xp

I know there are plenty of suggestions of games. But what I'm looking for is a MMOFPS type game. I know Dust 514 is coming out and I'll probably try it. But I've also played MAG (terrible game) and I hated it so much. So I know this is probably a slim to none chance of finding a game like this. But hey, it's worth a try. Thanks to anyone with suggestions!

BrotanamoBay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrotanamoBay

Dust is in Open Beta, so you can give it a try.

I've kinda like the stucture better then that of Planetside 2 (which is another subject, but that's okay for what its does).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The only two games I can think of off the top of my head are the ones you mentioned. Dust 514 is out, so you could give that a try.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lord_Xp

I figured there wasn't really any games out like this. But I thought I'd give it a try anyways. I got excited reading about Planetside 2 in GameInformer. I thought since Sony was making the game that they would automatically release it on the PS3, but alas, my hopes were dashed as I checked the Console's it was on. Oh well I will definitely try Dust, but I'm not a PS+ member and I don't feel like paying just so I can play that game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I bet they put out Planet Side 2 on PS4. Until then, yeah, you've found your only game.

I've heard Dust isn't too hot either so not sure about it.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Raven10

I played the beta for a couple hours yesterday. It feels much more pay to win than Planetside 2 or Tribes Ascend. In those games the new weapons you can buy change your strategy but don't make you better. In this there are distinct tiers of upgrades for all types of equipment, so someone who pays can get much better stuff a lot more quickly than those who don't. Thing is that your equipment is tied to every life. So when you die you lose all the equipment you bought and have to buy it all again for the next life. At that rate it is really hard to get the new skills required to get better gear because it uses the same currency as the weapons and armor you have to replace. Basically after two hours of play I hadn't bought a single item because I had used all my money to get upgrades. Of course I could have paid real money for the gear and not had to worry about that. Overall it seems like the definition of pay to win. The problem with Planetside 2 is that even though you can unlock almost everything with in game money, it takes forever to do so. I played for days and barely got anywhere. Personally Tribes Ascend is the gold standard for me. Even with the base items and skills you can do really well, and unlocking new items and skills doesn't take forever.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

If Planetside 2 is any indication, then you aren't really missing a whole lot.

This isn't to say that Planetside 2 is bad - it isn't, by any stretch of the imagination - but when I played it I did spend way too much time running and none of the big battles felt any bigger than those in Battlefield 3. It's got the MAG problem of being too big for its own good.

Do I think this can be done? Well, potentially - but I just think that at some point the scale is incomprehensible and the compromises made to balance to reach that kind of scale just aren't worth it.

I don't know anything about Dust, but @Raven10 doesn't seem to like it much.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

Dust is pretty shithouse (and that's coming from an EVE player, so I really wanted to like it). If you didn't like MAG, you're kinda shit outta luck.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Raven10

@believer258: Just keep in mind that it is a beta and balance is one of the key things that change during betas, so the cost/reward ratios could definitely be altered in a way that would make the game a lot better. Right now though I couldn't see staying competitive without paying money. If you get maybe 150,000 ISK per match that is around enough to buy one new set of the best gear. So if you die more than once a match you are never going to earn any money. Now you can of course fix that by paying some ridiculous amount of real money for boosters, or you can just pay real money for gear that is better anyways. But you are talking maybe $2 per life. So if you die 5 times a match (which are 20 minutes long) in the course of two hours you will have spent at least $60 and that is on top of the money paid for boosters. It's ridiculous.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By DarthOrange

I loved MAG. Maybe there is just something wrong with you?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By ESREVER

MAG was great. You're crazy.

QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By QKT

dust's shooting just feels plain bad. and all the systems work like an eve game. not for me.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@DarthOrange said:

@ESREVER said:

If you were dirty SVER youre doing it wrong

RAVEN KREW 4 LYFE

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ESREVER

@connerthekewlkid said:

@DarthOrange said:

@ESREVER said:

RAVEN KREW 4 LYFE

Dirty SVER indeed, but nah, I was VALOR BITCHES.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@ESREVER said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@DarthOrange said:

@ESREVER said:

RAVEN KREW 4 LYFE

One of my favorite parts of the game was how you only had one character slot so you had to pretty much pledge aligence to you're one faction

until of course 2 years later they added 2 more characters slots for $1 a piece :p

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By DarthOrange
    @ESREVER said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@DarthOrange said:

@ESREVER said:

RAVEN KREW 4 LYFE

You can both fuck a duck, SVER FOREVER!
    razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By razkazz

Dust 514 is a lot like Section 8 (if it was full of convoluted menus, devoid of color, played significantly worse, had downgraded Quake Wars console port-level graphics, and microtransactions).

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ESREVER

@DarthOrange: Mannn SVER was easy mode. I always avoid playing the OP faction in games. My friends should learn that about me and stop letting me choose.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By gkhan

Also, Dust isn't really an MMOFPS, it's just 16 vs. 16 player games with some deep social functionality with corps and ties to the EVE universe and such. Planetside it ain't.

I will say though, you do sort-of get used to how the game plays, and after a while it feels less bad, and you start seeing what they are going for. But objectively, it's probably not all that great. I do like the progression and the dropsuit system though, that's a pretty clever rethinking of FPS multiplayer progression.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#20  Edited By ShadowMoses900

MAG and Dust are the only two that come to mind, though neither of them look very good to me.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Lord_Xp: There's this Defiance thing coming out in April, which sounds like it's what you're looking for.

mastertarvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mastertarvin

Defiance is coming in April I believe, the game play videos I watched looked decent. Kinda looks like a 3rd person Borderlands. I ties in with some SyFy show so who knows how good it will be, its a buy the game play forever deal like GW2.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlackLagoon

Ah, so it's third person. I thought it was an FPS, hope it's close enough for the OP though.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By project343

@Lord_Xp: The only other (notable?) MMO option on PS3 is DC Universe Online. Which started off rough but has grown into a pretty solid product. Coincidentally, it also has a really solid F2P model.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lord_Xp

@BlackLagoon: I will have to check this out. I have not heard of it before. Thank you duder.

@project343: Really? I have never been into those types of games but I will look further in to this if it's pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.