Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Ok, debating PS Plus, Not sure if I should do it or which plan.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

First of all, I should say I own both a PS3 and a 360 and I try to divide my time between them about evenly. However, I havent really downloaded anything off of PSN ever. Really, I think PS Plus has been kinda garbage so far, offering B Grade downloadable games for free and the only things I would have downloaded from it would be because those things were free. and the discounts are on things I dont really want or would have use for. They werent things I would have paid full price for. But recently, theirs soemthing that has been enticing me to get it, The Betas.

The AC Brotherhood and the potential of getting in the KZ 3 Beta, but thats just it, these are really the only things I want out of it right now that they have, and that KZ 3 thing isnt even guranteed. Im basicaly paying 49.99 a year or 17.99 for 3 months for beta access and then I have to hope and pray SONY dosent ditch this service because its not working for them and im out 50 bucks or they never make it worth it in the future. This is what im worried about the most. I highly doubt SONYs gonna scrap this thing later on, but I do question wether or not they will actualy make it worth my while later on or in a acceptable time frame. Now, my first thinking of this was "Oh, these types of things usualy have a pretty crummy first couple months" but really, SONY hasnt been that great usualy with the "Itll get better shortly after" strategy. Just look at Playstation Home, obviously that thing didnt become worth it after time. I just dont have much faith in SONY really trying to make a concious effort to really make it worth it anytime soon.  

Im not sure, you think I should maybe just try the 3 months plan for $17.99? Or just get the Year+3 month bonus for $49.99?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I wouldn't buy either. But if I had to, I'd go for the short-term commitment.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aetos
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I wouldn't buy either. But if I had to, I'd go for the short-term commitment. "
    I agree with this.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

Why would Sony ditch it? They don't lose any money from it.

devilchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By devilchicken

I have it and quite frankly I'm not sure what exactly I'm paying for. Just the day before yesterday I got an invite for the Dead Space 2 MP beta, but besides that I don't think I've gotten much out of it. I mainly did it because:

1) I'm obviously retarded. And, 
    2) Figured if it didnt improve after 15 months (with the introductory 3 extra months offer) I just wouldnt renew it.

You also get the free Qore subscription, which I guess saves you $20 a year or however much Qore is yearly. So yeah, Id say go for the 3 month for now.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Malakhii

Well for $50 you're almost at a whole new game. Or you could get the short plan and get a Where's Waldo costume, for the same $50. 

If I were you I'd say fuck the PS plus and save the money for awesome stuff, like the upcoming costume quest and super meat boy. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Raven_Sword: If you want to get into the AC beta (Which is really good), then go to this guy, subscribe, message him for a code, and then wait. Its what I did, and it works.
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Bigrhyno

In all honesty it's not really worth it. But I've gotten a couple of things I liked. If I am able to get into the KZ3 beta then I will definitely be happy with my purchase, though.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword

I would like to think that this thing will get better over the months because of the inital lul period of the services launch couple months in, meaning first few months would kinda be meh, but the toher months would be good because they finaly get grasp on it.  But honestly, I dont know sometimes with SONY this gen.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

dont know what to tell ya man, I had 3 months and it recently expired for me, I got to keep 1 game I think and that was wipeout hd...otherwise It never really was worth it, PS+ had one of the most lack luster launch and first month lineup I've ever seen. I expected more.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword
    @WilliamRLBaker:

I wonder if it was just a launch thing and that itll get better from here on, but I really dont wanna invest alot into a hope, so I might just go with a 3 month thing, and if I dont like it, dont bother with it until it gets better.
    GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GoofyGoober

I would easily go with the 3 month plan. I love Sony but PS plus doesn't have a whole lot.  So just try it out and see if you like it.

xenexprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xenexprime

after thinking about it for a while I paid for a year and got the 3 months free, 3 months later I am very happy with it, gotten good games from it and saved on some add ons I was gonna buy by getting them free and some on a discount.

even got invited to the Dead Space 2 Multiplayer Beta even tough I didn't even apply for it and wasn't expecting it.

so I would say go for it, try the 3 month one if you want but if your like me I preferred to go for the whole year + 3 extra months since it was only what $32 extra? better $50 upfront than $17 + $50 later if you like it for the same amount of membership time and at the end of the game at least I got to play some new games that I got from the membership rather than paying just to play online.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By zero_

Get the short-term contracts when something like exclusive beta tests roll out. Otherwise, most of the many months of the year if you suscribe to the yearly will be the normal PSN content.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By CharleyTony

it depends on how hard you have to work for your money. Like Xbox Live Gold, getting this membership for a year is the same price as a new game. 
    For a student, I wouldn't recommend it.  
    But if you are an adult, all you have to do is cut down on one beer per week, or maybe a pack of smokes every 2 weeks, nothing dramatic if you ask me.
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ocdog45

I have money to blow. thats why i got it. If i'm in a budget or had that came out now when all the games are coming out I wouldn't get it. I've got a lot of cool games that I would never had touched with PS+.  I'm in the AC and dead space beta with PS+, but they sent me invites right when im playing dead rising 2 and castlevania, and i just got MoH. not a good move Sony.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ravensword

Did they do that Killzone 3 theme Beta thing yet? or is that this tuesday.
    Avatar image for generic_crack_dealer
    generic_crack_dealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would go for it. I am a member and have already gained my $50 back plus some more. If you didn't buy much of anything, there is plenty there for you. I have it on a separate PSN account, so my friends can benefit from it. Just recently there was Burn Zombie Burn for free. It's fun and it saves you $10. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare was $7.99 instead of $9.99 (for plus users). Two extra bucks in your pocket. People complain that free games will be unavailable if you don't subscribe again. I'd rather get a $10 game for free and have it taken away after I've gotten my play time out of it, than buy it and spend $10 on a short-lived game (mushroom wars -- fun, but don't play much.) I signed up specifically because they give 3 months free with a 1 year subscription.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

You could use the $50 and buy a subscription to GB.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.