Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Red dot of death?

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By The_Philosopher

I got a problem, I think my PS3 is dead. I was hoping someone might know a solution or just tell me if it's dead for sure. Allow me to explain. First of all I have an oldschool fat PS3, I got it the year that it first game out. I was watching an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia last night using my PS3. Then all of a sudden my PS3 shut off. Everytime I try to turn it on the light turns green for a second and I can hear the fans start going but then it shuts off and the light blinks red for a little while before turning back to normal. Second question, is the silm hardrive the same as the old ones? Because I don't want to lose all my saves if I decide to upgrade.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By chililili

The hard drive is a standard laptop hard drive so you shouldn't have a problem there (other than the fact that you need to use the special backup feature to have everything transfer well). On the other thing, dunno seems pretty dead to me

ColinRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ColinRyan

After the red light flashs does it go yellow? If so then it's the so called yellow light of death. It happened to me and I was told that if you put the hard drive into a new ps3 it will automatically format itself and you'd loose your data. Don't know if it's true but I'd watch out for it.

rdav1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By rdav1109

If your PS3 was dead it would be yellow, not red. May be an overheating issue. Just let it cool down.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Your game saves are gone unless you do some fancy things with a PC to get the saves off - not at all sure about how to do this or if it can be done. The HDD formats itself if installed in another PS3 to avoid any corrupted data.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @rdav1109: 

Nah, the yellow light only occasionally goes on for a second or two.

If he has tried repeatedly even after a few hours to let it cool down - and it turns on and then blinks - it is the yellow light issue. When it occurred for me this is exactly what happened. It may have been caused by overheating, where the compound inside melts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.