Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

taking my ps3 to india, have some power and tv format questions

Sadaiyappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sadaiyappan

Hi, I'm going to India soon.  I have a US 40GB PS3 Fat, it is a third generation PS3.  Will it accept 220V?  My laptop does both 110 and 220, when I take my laptop to India all I need to do is buy a plug adapter that is the right shape.  I was hoping the PS3 is the same and that all I need is a plug adapter.

India has frequent brown outs and black outs, especially in the villages, the cities are not so bad.  I plan on buying a high quality surge protector, and a high quality battery back up power system that kicks in if there is a brown out.

I was also thinking about PAL/NTSC tvs.  I'm going to buy a new HDTV when I get there, India uses PAL, does the PS3 I have work on all TVs?  Games are region free right?  What about blu-ray movies?  If I have a US blu-ray disc will it work on a PAL tv?  And will Indian Blu-rays work on a US PS3?

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vermy81

I can't really help you with anything speciffic to India.  But I live in South Korea and picked up a PS3 here but play US made games on it all the time.   

But yes the games  are region free.  Blu-Ray movies are not region free...India is on a different region than your US blu-rays.  I'd highly consider just getting an external hard drive if you'll have access to any kind of decent internet.  In most of Asia it seems pretty commonly accepted.   

For power I would reccomend picking up a transformer with a fuse in the box.  It cost me like 55 dollars for a 2 port variable voltage transformer that you can take to just about any country in the world and get safe power out of.   I'm pretty sure the PS3 is dual wattage so an adapter would work but i've heard more than a few horror stories about people screwing up their electronics using adapters because they tend to be subpar connection quality running through one of those.     

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.