Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Where has all my memory gone?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I have a 40 gig hard drive and for some reason my memory is not adding up. I go into system settings and it tells me that I have 20 GB/37 GB. In my Game Data folder, I have these games installed: Infamous (1.3 Gigs) Resistance 1 (219 MB), MGS4 (6.3 Gigs) and Folklore (1 Gig). That adds up to around 8.8 gigs, yet it's saying that I'm missing 9 Gigs somewhere? Does anyone know what could be happening? 

(Yeah, I know I have barely any games. I hardly play my PS3, the only reason I turned it on is because I finally got my copy of Demon's Souls back from a friend!)

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

does the PS3 operating system resources occupy that spot? sorry i don't own a ps3 ^^

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xyzygy
    @jadeskye said:
    " does the PS3 operating system resources occupy that spot? sorry i don't own a ps3 ^^ "
    No, I think that's the 3 GB's taken away from the 40.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

so you have 37gigs. 8 gigs from games installed. 

save games? my fallout saves occupy about a gig on my xbox 360. 

other then that i can only think of formatting problems. rendered 9 gigs of your drive unusable without a reformat.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @jadeskye: Jesus, your Fallout saves take up a whole gig?! Just of saves? You must also be counting in DLC there, there's no way one game can take up a gig in saves. That's... insane! I have F3 on my 360 as well and the saves are pretty small.

And no it's not save games either, I checked through them all. They're all pretty small, like between 50 MB and 100 KB. Really, really small when compared to a Gig. 
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

hmm..then i'm at a loss. installed applications? downloaded games? 

is there no way to view your storage in a list? see everything on your hard drive? 

if you can and it doesn't add up, my only guess would be formatting problems.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

i just found an interesting post on another forum 

•  So off the bat your going to be down to around 55GB (which is what the PS3's OS reports you have, provided you bought the 60GB SKU) Then the reason we all start off with 47GB/55GB is because of the PS3's OS. The Operating System takes up space, and for all the features that it has, I'm not surprised it takes up ~8GB. Heck even a single update is pushing the 100MB mark, thats compressed as well. Expect each update to contain at least 500MB of data (speculation).    

refers to the 60 gig ps3 but the operating system takes up 8 gigs apparently (in 2007, plus updates it's likely 9 or more) 

i thought 3 gigs was too small. that 37 gigs out of 40 is natural hard drive formating loss. you get that on any hard drive.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy

What the hell?, that's a ridiculous amount for a freaking video game console OS. Thanks for looking into that for me though. I can't believe a 40 Gig PS3 only has like 28 actual gigs in it.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By KamasamaK
    @xyzygy said:

" @jadeskye said:

" does the PS3 operating system resources occupy that spot? sorry i don't own a ps3 ^^ "
    No, I think that's the 3 GB's taken away from the 40. "
    No, that's after the base 2 conversion -- 40 GB is what is advertised, but that's in base 10. Anyway, I've read that the system uses 11% for administrative purposes, so that would account for about 4 GB of lost space. I don't know about the rest of your missing storage. There are a number of other places that could be taking some space, like Home or Life with PlayStation. Also, your lack of any PSN games is saddening.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @Kamasama: The only ones that look like I would like them I can get on my 360 :( I am waiting for Trine to come out for the 360 as well. If it still is. If not, then whatever. 

I deleted Home, but not Life with Playstation. What is the point of that anyway? Should I get rid of it?
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye
    @xyzygy said:
    " What the hell?, that's a ridiculous amount for a freaking video game console OS. Thanks for looking into that for me though. I can't believe a 40 Gig PS3 only has like 28 actual gigs in it. "
    it's not that crazy really. the original xbox 360 pro had 20 gigs but you only got 12. and that was back in 05. 

glad i could help =) shame that the ps3 and xbox 360 won't accept a 3.5 inch hard drive, could just install a 1 terrabyte drive and be done with it.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KamasamaK
    @xyzygy: The main point of Life with PlayStation is that folding@home is part of it if you care about that. And it looks pretty unlikely that Trine is coming to Xbox 360 [ source]. But whatever, everyone is entitled to their own bad taste in games.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Kamasama said:
    " @xyzygy: The main point of Life with PlayStation is that folding@home is part of it if you care about that. And it looks pretty unlikely that Trine is coming to Xbox 360 ( source). But whatever, everyone is entitled to their own bad taste in games. "
    lol thats a bit rough isn't it? you're entitled to your opinion sir but i don't think that was called for.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KamasamaK
    @jadeskye: Sorry if the sarcasm didn't come through. But it's not entirely untrue, and is basically just a rephrasing of what you said.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Kamasama: okay fair enough, my bad ^_^
    Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Liono88

Same happened to my 60 gig ps3, my memory wasn't adding up so I had to reformat my whole system in order to getting the missing space back. Worked like a charm but I wouldn't recommend it unless you tried EVERYTHING else.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By A_Faceless_Name

Maybe there is some corrupted data some place? Probably not that much, but if an install file was heavily corrupted, it could probably take some space from you.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By canucks23

That also includes patches (there are some big fuckers on ps3), dlc, psn games and save files. So you're probably missing something.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ninjakiller

Back it up and replace your hdd, it's not that hard. 

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Phished0ne

Why are people supprised the OS takes that much space? i mean my 64 gig ipod touch is really only like 54 gigs...and thats just an PDA OS.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By chililili

Ok people don't seem to realize that GB and MB are not base ten scale. In other words 1 MB does not equal 1000 KBs it equals 1024 KBs. When people say 40 GB they mean 40 000 000 000 but that is not 40 GB on the computer that's were the 37 comes from also home and the OS takes up a bunch of other shit. I switched to a 320 gb, amn that stuff is so cheap nowadays it doesn't really matter

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Rockdalf

While we're correcting things, this would also be referred to as storage, not memory.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hitchenson
    @jadeskye said:
    " my fallout saves occupy about a gig on my xbox 360. "
    Don't you ever overwrite? Damn.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " my fallout saves occupy about a gig on my xbox 360. "
    Don't you ever overwrite? Damn. "
    i had delusions of grandeur that i'd come back and use them for achievement hunting. 

i never did >_>
    JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By JohnRehill
    @Phished0ne said:
    " Why are people supprised the OS takes that much space? i mean my 64 gig ipod touch is really only like 54 gigs...and thats just an PDA OS. "
    Ya, the memory isn't what it says it is.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ch13696

I hate to say it but the advertised space on a hard drive is not really that much. I bought a 1TB hard drive for my PC last month and the actual space is 931GB. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.