Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

20.03gb left on hard drive, can't download either SF5 or DOOM updates WTF!!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By agentboolen

I'm very confused at why 20.03 gbs left on my hard drive is giving me errors when trying to update SF5 or DOOM.

I understand the machine itself needs swap memory but out of 500gb hard drive Sony did only leave me with 409gb of memory. I would think that reserved memory would be swap memory for the system.

At this point why would this machine act like 20gbs is nothing? In my mind that's still allot of memory. What gives, anyone knowing either what's going on here, or how to fix this with out deleting games I'd be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I run into the same problem on the xbox as well. Mostly it's just due to patches becoming more and more massive. I resolved to just delete the games I own physically when I'm not playing them since it doesn't take that long to install the files from the disk. I've read online that swapping the drives on the current systems isn't too difficult and I think Ive even heard of someone using an SSD. Hope this helps.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Consider this as a "hint" or "nudge" to buy a bigger HDD.

There have actually been some changes in the past year with what you CAN use for a HDD. In the past it was capped at 2 TB and often issue would arise if you used bigger drives, but Sony has updated the firmware to address up to 6TB (w/ 5.4TB left over). But, keep in mind that if you want the drive to fit "in" the PS4 it has to be under 0.95 cm (9.5 mm). There is a Niko Databank device that allows for fat drives, but I think the internal drives are a better idea.

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Sterling

You can't download them because you need twice the size of the patch free. It downloads the patch file, extracts the contents, and then removes the patch file. Think of it like downloading a zip file on your PC. Try downloading them one at a time. Do the Doom one first as its under 6GB. Not sure the size of the SF5 patch. But if its around the same size, it wont let you download them both at the same time.

Also go into your disk space management section under options, and check to make sure you don't have a large chuck of disk space taken up by other at the bottom. That means you have DLC or broken downloads that haven't been installed taking up space. To clear broken downloads you have to rebuild the database. To clear waiting to install DLC you will have to install the game and then start it. Then you can delete the game again.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I updated my hardrive a while back to a 1tb as i was getting close to the limit back then and didn't even have that many games. One thing better about xbox is the ability to use an external drive for games, sony needs to get on that asap IMO.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It's been a pretty common solution / complaint (according to my Googling this exact issue last week) that your PS4 requires ~50GB of available space to download or install updates, but that's not applicable to ALL applications. I recently downloaded the last two episodes of Life Is Strange, as well as the second and third episodes of Walking Dead: Michonne without problem. However, until I deleted Michonne and a couple other games to get back over 50GB (after those four downloads I was at around 17GB free, so I was well under 50 when I started downloading them), I could not download the 1.22 patch for The Witcher 3.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By agentboolen

@sterling: that does make sense, but in the past I've had this problem and delete some things and found that the update file isn't always as large as you'd think. Personally I don't know why they don't allow us to see what the actual patch download size is!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: thanks for that info, I've heard about the 2tb limit and am glad too hear we can now use up too 6tb. I wish they'd give us support for externals though like the Xbox One.

I'm also kinda not wanting to invest the money in these bigger hard drives, there not cheap and the ps4 really isn't worthy of me dropping that kinda money on imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.