Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

are sony using ps+ to compensate publishers for used games

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

while listening to sonys representative Scott Rohde interview with Patric, his comment on online passes got me thinking.

so Scott Rohde said in the interview "with ps+ being required to play online games it doesn't make sense to have a online pass in conjunction with that, that is why it is going away"

as my understanding with the current psn is that publishers currently run there own servers for there games and sony has little involvement for 3rd party titles. with ps+ the way i understand it works is by them offering you a free game, sony will pay a fee to the publisher to compensate for you "purchasing" it.

with ps+ being mandatory now to play games online, could sony be using this money to pay publishers when you buy used games. sony patented a method of checking games using a rf tag to see if they are a pirated copy or used even when offline, the theory i am putting out there is that when you put in a used game into a ps4 could it check to see if the game is used and report it to sony and then they pay whatever fee is being given to Microsoft.

if this is true then it is a very clever way of doing the exact same thing. the patented technology will stop them needing to check online but will still check if it is used.the publisher still get there persentage from used games and you never see it happening and to top it all off they give you some free games every month. they get the positive pr the publishers are happy and your a few games better off

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Probably more possible than we think. Even tho I have doubts that Sony is that generous but If this is the case I see nothing wrong with it. I very rarely play online on console, I have pc for that, so I am not being force to sign up for ps+ or anything like that. F2p games are not require for ps+ and apps are free to use.

I see nothing wrong with this picture except that online play is free on ps3. No matter how we spin it that is a downgrade. An acceptable downgrade I think for most people but it really sucks for people who doesn't want ps+.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

Probably more possible than we think. Even tho I have doubts that Sony is that generous but If this is the case I see nothing wrong with it. I very rarely play online on console, I have pc for that, so I am not being force to sign up for ps+ or anything like that. F2p games are not require for ps+ and apps are free to use.

I see nothing wrong with this picture except that online play is free on ps3. No matter how we spin it that is a downgrade. An acceptable downgrade I think for most people but it really sucks for people who doesn't want ps+.

And to be fair, to the people who don't want it or may have never even tried it I'm sure there's like a one month PS+ trial with a game at some point or even with the system just to at least let them try it out for a month (Free games and discounts and stuff like that as well) to see if it might be something for them since they only based their "I don't want it" opinion on the fact that they really don't wanna pay for online. It's of course not gonna sway everyone and make everybody go "Oh man, this is great" but it might get more people on than not having a trial.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.