Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Backwards Compatibility for PS 1 and PS 2 games?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Are the older Console games being carried over to the PS 4 or being used with digital downloads?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

None, all downloads most likely, or their pie in the sky cloud service thing if that ends up happening.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cloudymusic

Luckily, PS1 and even PS2 emulation is pretty good for most games at this point. I'm able to play most of my PS2 library (legit discs) on my PC nowadays with few issues.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bell_End

we will find out next week i guess

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

PS1/2 games can easily be emulated on the PS4 if they do the work, no cloud needed

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Its not a simple flip a switch when emulating unfortunately. They have first get an emulator running on PS4 hardware then every game needs to be tested for their individual quirks. This has delayed several releases of PS1 and 2 Classics on PS3 and why some games haven't come out. PS4 is a total reset on that work. It would be nice if they get some obvious favorites running. Just go down the most downloaded list and make those available. Gets some older games on the console without the "cloud".

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

PS1 games may work. They worked in all PS3's, I don't see why they would drop that now. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't think PS2 games will work on the PS4. If both PS1 and 2 games work on the PS4, then I will be sold.

PS3 games will not work on the PS4. You'll have to play them with a PS3 or through the "cloud". I doubt the latter will work as well as it should (ie as well as an actual PS3) for those with anything less than a tremendous internet connection, so keep your PS3 or buy one if you haven't already.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.