Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Digital Dynamic Pricing?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Obviously there hasn't been any digital sales yet for PS4 games outside of minor pricecuts for some indie games via PS+, though I feel it's about time for some sales. For example - I'd love to get Black Flag, but not at full price. I'm just not that into Assassin's Creed. I feel like that game is about ripe for its first flash sale kind of deal, or something.

Dynamic pricing is a thing, and I expect it to come PS4 shortly. Let's say around March, when the second wave of games is about to come out. What say you? Do you also expect digital sales to commence shortly? Or are digital sales still ways off?

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

My guess? It depends.

While you could almost guarantee a price cut for physical versions if they did not sell as expected, digital versions last gen (PS3/360) seemed to hold their price longer. I am not sure if that had to do with Sony/MS trying to recoup the investment in the digital download infrastructure; or possibly, they did not want to undercut retail partners. In case of the former, I would think that discounts would be offered as costs decrease over time. The latter is a bit more tricky.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd be giving Sony and MS SOOOO much more money if they were keeping digital prices in line with physical. I just don't want physical media anymore, so I buy digital only.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By strainedeyes

Sony has been pretty good about sales over the last year or so on the PS3 and Vita. The PS4 is still so new and has such little content right now that it's hard to imagine a sale anytime soon. That said, it will definitely happen.

Also, now that Amazon has a storefront for digital PSN purchases we can definitely expect sales through them. They currently have Doki Doki Universe for $9.99.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.