Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Has the controller's battery life gotten any better?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've still got my launch PS4 controller, but could use another and they're pretty cheap today. I told myself I wouldn't buy one until they make the battery last a more reasonable amount of time - the thing needs to be plugged in way too much for my liking. Have they made any improvements to it yet?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Believe it's 3-5 hours depending on the game you're playing.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Geez, bummer. It's pitiful compared to the Xbox One - had the thing since mid-October and still have only changed the batteries once.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ry_Ry

Dimming the light helps some, but it's never really been an issue. I don't get many marathon sessions anymore.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TanookiSuit
    @fredchuckdave said:

Believe it's 3-5 hours depending on the game you're playing.

This. Definitely varies how much vibration the game uses and how often the speaker is used. The LED Bar does not drain as much power as people would like to think; those other two are the more damning factors.

GTA 5 with everything on full blast wrecked the battery in one of my controllers in about 3 hours when I first got it. I thought it was crazy (And it is; these rechargeable controllers should last way longer like the 360's rechargeable battery pack) but I turned off the controller speaker and that made a pretty noticeable difference alone.

It's my understanding that even the new controllers still use the same original batteries they've been shipping with, so I doubt anything has actually changed.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Never been an issue for me. Actually it's the XBOX ONE I have battery issues with. Probably because using the headphones and mic seem to really kill it fast.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I'd first gotten a PS4 my first thought was "boy, the battery life on these things isn't very good," but now that I've had it for a while it doesn't even seem like an issue to me. Just plug in the controller when you have it in rest mode and it's barely ever going to be a problem unless you're doing some crazy gaming marathon, in which case, take a dang break!

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I bought me a 10 foot microUSB cable (packed in cable is absurdly short) and I just keep the controller plugged in at all times. Sucks that the battery is such crap, but at least it's like the good ol' days?

Dregdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a second controller, plug first controller in and swap to second controller when the first runs out of juice! But seriously the bundle I got my PS4 with back near launch came with a second controller for basically free and having 1 charging while I use the other one lets me play indefinately which is nice (although not neccesarily a cheap solution.)

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I hate dealing with dying batteries, so I just leave my controller plugged in almost all of the time. I also tend to sit only a few feet away from my screen, so it's not really an issue.

My bigger issue is remote playing on the PSTV. The USB port on it doesn't seem to deliver enough juice to charge the controller properly, so my dedicated DS4 in my bedroom is almost always dead when not plugged in.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

3-5 hours? I know for certain I've been going for near 7 hours on mine...I know for super long gaming sessions I have a USB extension cable that is primarily for fighting sticks. I also have a charging dock for when I'm not playing my games...because if you don't charge you stuff when you don't play and it dies then its only your fault.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

When I'd first gotten a PS4 my first thought was "boy, the battery life on these things isn't very good," but now that I've had it for a while it doesn't even seem like an issue to me. Just plug in the controller when you have it in rest mode and it's barely ever going to be a problem unless you're doing some crazy gaming marathon, in which case, take a dang break!

Yeah, no kidding. I miss the days when I had more than a spare hour or so for gaming. Even then, I'm always getting interrupted by things.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how much rumble the game uses. For most games the battery life is acceptable. For some it is what I would consider to be too short.

I don't see any difference in my PS 20th controller and the original in battery life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.