Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

HDD only 408gb after format/...and 1.50 broke my PS4

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I expected a whole lot less loss to...nothing, as far as I can tell. A 500gb drive would lose 50gb max to formatting, so how big is the damn OS?

I came in here to let everyone know that the HDD space was small while I was waiting for 1.50 to install.

The update was applied, and my PS4 rebooted. The PS4 itself flashed its blue light four or five times, moved to its white color...and nothing happened. No video or audio, just nothing. I then went through some standard troubleshooting steps (power cycle, check cord connectivity, etc.) to try and get something to happen: Nothing. Tried putting it into safe mode: My screen then started to flicker between a colored static noise and blackness. Rebooted, and the PS4 started making weird clicking noises.

I turn off my PS4, TV, and walk away before I hurl my PS4 into the TV.

Come back 15 minutes later, give it another go, and the fucking thing boots into safe mode.

Restart to make sure it is working fine...yep.

Hopefully this all goes better for you. But still, that HDD size is fucked.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dont Format?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TyCobb

I would not be surprised if the update made a complete back up of the core OS somewhere since there was a ton of free space. That's probably where the extra space went.

Also, remember that formatting doesn't actually kill your hard drive space. It's just that the number on the box is complete bullshit in terms of computer GB because they list 1,000MB as a GB which is a lie in terms of computers. You're 500GB drive is really 465GB = (((500GB * 1000MB * 1000KB * 1000B) / 1024MB) / 1024KB) / 1024B.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you install the 900MB "big update" or let it install from the net?

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EricSmith

@tycobb: Jesus, I didn't think of that. That shit is shady as hell. Isn't this the same thing Microsoft ran into last year with the Surface?

@flippyandnod: I downloaded it directly with the PS4.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ericsmith: Perhaps, I think I missed or forgot what issue they had. Hard drive spaces are my biggest pet peeve. Especially when you bump in TB.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tycobb: Jesus, I didn't think of that. That shit is shady as hell. Isn't this the same thing Microsoft ran into last year with the Surface?

@flippyandnod: I downloaded it directly with the PS4.

Pretty much every electronics company embellishes the amount of space in their hard drive.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really enjoying the PS4 so far, but I am a bit concerned that after only one day I am down to 365/500GB, with Knack being the only retail product I own (Resogun, Flower, and Contrast being the others) so far.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EricSmith

Sony's support has been TERRIBLE so far. Been on the phone for an hour and a quarter and still haven't talked to a human. Jumped into a chat queue, was in there for 15 minutes then they cancelled the chat session with no warning:

No Caption Provided

Launching with a broken online network is a big problem. Launching with broken systems is a bigger problem. Launching without the ability to support your userbase is the biggest problem.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A section of the hard drive is most likely partitioned off for the game play recording. Your average 500GB drive will sit at around 485GB post format, if 25GB is used by the OS and 50GB is partitioned off for the recording it makes sense to me.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By flippyandnod

Why are you still trying to contact Sony? You implied your PS4 was fixed a the bottom of your post.

If it's still not working download the "large" 900MB update and reinstall a "new installation" from safe mode.

See here.

how to "install clean"

And I'm not saying this will fix your problem (which you never should have had in the first place), but it's probably your best hope to fix it instead of returning it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik
    @ericsmith said:

Launching with a broken online network is a big problem. Launching with broken systems is a bigger problem. Launching without the ability to support your userbase is the biggest problem.

That seems pretty par for the course from my experience. Nobody is ever prepared for problems when something launches and thus they never have enough people to deal with the influx of complaints. (Keep in mind that everyone who is having problems is all looking for help at the same time.) Generally you just keep trying until you get through.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By flippyandnod

A friend of mine had the same problem as you. Black screen and safe mode after the firmware update.

He fixed it by unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable after the PS4 was already turned on and running with the screen black. Give that a try.

Update: My friend was apparently not having an HDMI signal integrity problem, after the fix I mentioned above he is off and running no more problems.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Did this guy both trying to install the 800+ MB system restore file from the website via USB yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.