Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

How To Preorder Games Digitally?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

My PS Plus subscription renewal is due in mid-June. I actually wanted to add another year of PS Plus to my account today, when I remembered that promotion for Driveclub, that when I preorder it digitally or otherwise, I get a code for 50% off a year's subscription of PS Plus - a sweet deal, making Driveclub a very low friction purchase.

So I went and searched for Driveclub in my PS4's digital storefront. The game's not in there. In fact, there's no way to preorder anything digitally at this time - at least in the Swiss/European PSN Store. I really wanted to preorder and preload Thief too, depending on how it's priced. That's not going to happen either.

So really, how can I take advantage of the Driveclub promotion, if I can't preorder the game digitally at their storefront? Or am I missing something?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

US Store at the moment has at least Thief and even inFamous up for pre-ordering, so I guess we're just getting screwed over here, once again. They've also got sections for up-coming games and whatnot.

...however, the browser version of the Store seems to have some up for pre-ordering, like Thief and Watch_dogs. No Driverclub over there either, though.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli

@glottery said:

US Store at the moment has at least Thief and even inFamous up for pre-ordering, so I guess we're just getting screwed over here, once again. They've also got sections for up-coming games and whatnot.

...however, the browser version of the Store seems to have some up for pre-ordering, like Thief and Watch_dogs. No Driverclub over there either, though.

I figured things might be a little better there. I'm ready to go all digital this generation, but damn if the PSN Store on the box itself isn't incredibly underwhelming right now. They really need to get on that shit.

I'd also like to stream movies and tv shows, but alas, not a single app for such a thing in my market. Just like it's been like the entire past generation. Hopefully somebody will finally step the fuck up. Lunacy!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli

@glottery:

Just checked the browser version too. Neither Infamous, nor Thief are up for preorders either. Thief shows up for preorder on PS3, but not on PS4.

What a shit-show! Just seems like they aren't really putting up an effort on their digital storefront yet for PS4. I love the PSN Store for PS3 and Vita. The experience on PS4 however is sorely lacking at this time.

I'd say preorders are essential for any digital storefront, especially one that's rather empty right now.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Either Sony is being lazy about pre-orders or retail is in their way. While kind of sucky, I find it's a good thing they don't put much games up for pre-order because it's more money in our pocket. They also don't let us preload games so there really isn't a benefit to pre-ordering digitally.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either Sony is being lazy about pre-orders or retail is in their way. While kind of sucky, I find it's a good thing they don't put much games up for pre-order because it's more money in our pocket. They also don't let us preload games so there really isn't a benefit to pre-ordering digitally.

The pre-orders give the same digital bonuses that retail pre-orders do (the Cole missions for inFamous), so that's the incentive. If you're planning to buy it digitally, at least you can get the pre-order bonuses too.

It seems like Sony doesn't put a game up for pre-order until about a Month ahead of time. Dark Souls 2 just went up last week, I think.

@seppli said:

@glottery:

Just checked the browser version too. Neither Infamous, nor Thief are up for preorders either. Thief shows up for preorder on PS3, but not on PS4.

Are you sure? My PS4 Pre-order section has Thief, inFamous, and the COD Ghost Onslaughts thing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @strainedeyes said:

@awesomeusername said:

The pre-orders give the same digital bonuses that retail pre-orders do (the Cole missions for inFamous), so that's the incentive. If you're planning to buy it digitally, at least you can get the pre-order bonuses too.

It seems like Sony doesn't put a game up for pre-order until about a Month ahead of time. Dark Souls 2 just went up last week, I think.

@seppli said:

@glottery:

Are you sure? My PS4 Pre-order section has Thief, inFamous, and the COD Ghost Onslaughts thing.

There's no Preorder section for the European/Swiss PSN Store. Neither on the digital storefront on the PS4 itself, nor on the browser version on my PC. Nada. Only PS3 games show up for preorder.

Shame that we don't have features parity with the US storefront. It's meager, but at least you can preorder some games.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By awesomeusername

@strainedeyes: I know you get the pre-order bonuses but those bonuses stay around for a week before they go away so you can still get them if you don't pre-order.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.