Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

List of compatible external HDD for the PS4?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By probablytuna

So I recently bought a new 3TB external HDD so I could use it to backup games from the PS4. I know PS3 and PS4 does not support NTFS so I formatted the HDD to exFAT, the only other option thinking that it will work. Lo and behold, when I connect it to the PS4 and tried to copy a screenshot over it said the USB drive is not connected. I'm assuming then that the format has to be FAT32 in order to work and the only storage device I have that the PS4 does recognise is my 16GB USB thumbstick. Now I'm stuck with a brand new HDD, not that I really mind since I can always use it for my PC, I want to ask people if there's a confirmed list of compatible HDD that can format to FAT32 and does work with the PS4?

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it's related to the size of the drive. 2TB is the maximum if I remember correctly. Maybe you could try partitioning the drive you've got and see if that does something?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebigcheese_: But I still gotta find a way to format it to FAT32 which apparently Windows 7 doesn't do anymore?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Wait the PS4 supports external HDDs? When the hell did the happen?

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SuperVHS

@probablytuna: oh weird if there isn't any freeware out there maybe you could just put Ubuntu on a usb and do it that way. I'm on OSX and haven't used windows in a while. You shouldn't have to do any terminal stuff I don't think

@Nightriff since the last firmware!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By probablytuna

@nightriff: I'm pretty sure the 2.5 firmware update was what made it possible cause now you can backup and restore onto an external HDD.

@thebigcheese_: Yeah I think so but I don't know which ones are trustworthy.

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperVHS
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Success! Although it came up with an error on the 3TB HDD which went something like GetLastError0=32, I tried an old 2TB HDD and it formatted just fine and I just successfully saved a PS4 screenshot onto it. Thanks duder!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.