Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS+ and moving countries

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am due to renew my annual PS+ subscription, but am unsure whether I should because I will switch countries soon. I currently live in Sweden but will live in the Netherlands from May on forward. Having a Swedish PSN account, I don't know what the different implications are for this. From what I understand you cannot switch country in your account, nor can you use PSN credit/subscriptions from another country in your account, and you have to use your account country's store.

However, it isn't hard to buy Swedish credit and subscriptions online, so that isn't necessarily a problem. What I don't know for sure is a) if I can use a Swedish PS+ subscription to play online if my PS4 is physically in the Netherlands, and b) if I can (legally) continue to buy games from the Swedish store when my PS4 is physically in the Netherlands. And are there other consequences I am not thinking of?

I just don't want to create a new account if I can avoid it.

ChrisCYotG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ChrisCYotG

What you can do is continue to buy PSN Credit/Subscription for your Swedish PSN account online or make the daunting transition and make a new PSN Account.

I bought my Playstation 4 in South America and for some time had a Chilean account until I moved to Australia. I could have continued paying for my Chilean PSN Account online by going around some particular 'ethical' boundaries but eventually decided to suck it up and make a new account. I still can access the content I have in my other account, but playing online would mean having to have another PSN subscription and that complicates things too much.

But to answer your question. Yes. you can continue to buy games on the Swedish PSN store while physically in the Netherlands. But there could be a few added obstacles that you may need to go through to get those codes.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3 sweep  Moderator

I moved from the UK to Singapore and hooked up my PS4, it still acts like it's back in the UK. I still have full access to the UK store and content, and I actually ran into trouble when I tried to add my Singapore bank account details as a way to purchase as the UK account would only accept UK bank account details.

Looks like, as Crisiscross has already mentioned, you'll need a new account specific to that region. However if your Swedish account is registered to that PS4 as your primary console you should still be able to play everything through a new account, though it will obviously fuck with your friends lists, etc.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Corvak

If your new bank info works to purchase on your original account this is all a moot point and you can just continue on as before, possibly not even needing a new account at all.

1. Set up an account in your new country, with appropriate banking info, all of your digital purchases will have to be from this one unless you import cards/codes from prev. country.

2. Set your PS4 as primary for both accounts. Play on the old account so you have friends list/trophies etc.

3. You can access all of the games that are installed including digital purchases from new account on your old account, as long as your PS4 is the primary PS4 for all of them.

If you use it with your old one, you have to buy prepaid cards from your original country. I havent tried adding PS+ cards from one country to an account from another, but since cash cards dont work I can only assume PS+ doesnt either. I really suggest just buying the cards (often you can get em on amazon and the like) a year at a time and continuing to use the old account, to maintain your PS+ freebie collection, trophies and friends lists.

Sony, this could be done better. Why don't you do this better?

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: @sweep: @crisiscross: Thanks all. The main thing is that I hope to be able to continue to play online with this account, which I now understand from you won't be a problem. If I notice that I want to switch to a Dutch account at some point for convenience, I'll do that, but that at least means I will have a choice as long as I can continue to buy Swedish cards online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.